Dreadbox Typhon

thanks for your calming words

ok… 1 out of 200 units … ?

anyway … i will go this way

I hear you. I’d say report it to Dreadbox using the email they put in the beta firmware folder, but I’ve reported 2 things so far a week ago and received no response, so either they aren’t checking their email or they have so many reports that they can’t keep up.

Checking my emails and, for clarity, he said it is 0.2-0.3%. 1 in 400 or so. Not sure what serial number they are up to, but this probably only ends up being like 15 or 20 units I would guess. Maybe less.
Kinda like a fun little lottery right?

Nice that Dreadbox answers your emails. They can’t be arsed to reply to mine, even when I’m trying to help.

If audio over USB means you’d have to chance your audio interface in Ableton to hear the audio; it won’t be as usefull for people using an interface I’d reckon. On mac you seem to be able to merge 2 USB interfaces, but on windows it would be cumbersome, or am I missing something?

You can use ASIO4ALL on windows

That’s correct - basically on Windows you’re screwed. And ASIO4ALL is a cumbersome convoluted approach which often doesn’t even work half the time, at least in my experience. If anyone is successful in using ASIO4ALL to aggregate both your regular audio interface and Typhon on Windows, I’d love to see the settings though!

Bit of a shame the sound coming from Typhon is coming into Ableton is slightly delayed. Through an audio interface I can add the delay compensation on the External Instrument device to correct it, but with USB audio there doesn’t seem to be a way to get it coming in exactly on time.

MMM so to fully leverage the spec you’d need a VST like OB. Not impossible! I can see dreadbox adding this to upcoming synths as well so a plugin might be worthwhile.

Ground loop is still very much noticeable via USB btw.

No worries, I sent them a description of the problem via the support page and maybe two hours later I got an answer asking me in detail about the problem, which I replied carefully. So now they send me a replacement display.

That is very cool :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This just blows me away. I’m sending reports to them via the instructions in the beta firmware folder and they can’t even be arsed to reply once. Maybe I should go directly through their support website.

This latency is down to the buffer size set in Ableton, not the audio interface (Typhon) itself.

Reduce the buffer size: The smaller the buffer size, the lower the latency. There’s a trade-off though, in that lower buffer sizes require more CPU power. Therefore you may notice audio dropouts at lower buffer sizes, depending on the overall CPU load of the set. — Try 128, 256, or 512.

1 Like

I can’t explain why you haven’t had a reply, but I’m only hearing great things about their customer service. Really great things. And let’s not forget that this was a free bonus update… We might not get any more if people are getting up tight about the details

Seems the V4 Beta has been removed from the site and replaced with ‘Firmware Update V4 Coming Soon’. Will we get anything new, do you think, or will it be the Audio/Midi over USB only?

I’m willing to wager that they pulled it not to add more features, but because it’s so buggy and they got so many bug reports that they need to further develop it and fix it as-is. Would love to be wrong, though.

1 Like

Aight, I’m gonna stick with V3.1.1 for now then.

Hey Typhon owners, how quick does the Typhon respond to program change messages from the likes of the Digitakt? The Typhon is calling to me but I remember reading something in the early days about program changes needing to be fixed and not working right. Tried some brief searches but didn’t find any info. Thanks in advance

Program changes work great, and are fast!

3 Likes

Program changes are instant for me using an Akai MPC Live II and/or Force.

1 Like