Dreadbox Typhon

Wow, great to hear about fast program changes! Think I won’t resist much longer…

One more question for anyone who owns the Typhon and who owns (or has owned) other Dreadbox synths. I have a Nyx v1 and I LOVE the way it sounds. To make room for the Typhon I would have to part with the Nyx. How do people like the sound of the Typhon compared to other Dreadbox offerings? I’ve watched a bunch of sound demos but they’re usually drenched in effects or playing lil punchy sequences (not my cup of tea per se).

Only reason I would get rid of the Nyx in favor of a Typhon is presets. A Dreadbox with presets just seems incredible…

Hi, Erebus v3/Nyx v2/Typhon owner here. I’d say if you love the sound of your Nyx, keep it. The Typhon’s raw sound is clearly Dreadbox, but the Nyx’s dual filters have a different topology (Typhon is a four-pole lowpass based on the Murmux, which though I could be mistaken I believe is some kind of ladder) and their combination has a special character. On the other hand, Typhon is very compact, so you might find you have room for both after all.

3 Likes

I own both Nyx v1 and Typhon and have no plans to part with either. They each have their own unique sonic characteristics and workflows. Whilst you could definitely dial in some similar sounds on both synths, there are enough differences to justify owning both. Typhon offers a lot of bang for your buck but I would have regretted selling my Nyx to fund it. Also there’s the forthcoming Nymph and Abyss v2 to make the decision even harder.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, going to hold onto the Nyx for now…

4 Likes

does somebody know if there is somewhere an editor for the typhon? i don’t have maxforlive

Not that I know of, but using a CC program template on my MPC at least allows me pages and pages of quick access to most of the Typhon’s controls, which then allows me to easily save said changes that I edit. This works in the desktop MPC software as well, so I suppose one could consider that an editor.

Somebody by the name of KafkaCtrl made an editor the the Typhon in Max for Live which can be found here. Looks pretty neat.

10 Likes

i got a small problem. as soon as the screen turns off the sound of the typhon sounds much cleaner. if i turn it on again things get a bit distorted and dirty. anybody encountered the same?

Yeah, that’s the OLED causing the issue and may be related to a ground fault. Try powering the unit from a plug or battery separate from the device you’re plugging into. Also, does the issue occur when you monitor via the headphone jack, the rear quarter-inch jacks, or both?

On an aside, I just exchanged emails with tech support (Orfeas) and was told that Dreadbox are working on firmware improvements - including support for 44.1 Khz sample rates in USB-Audio class compliant mode. Nice!!

6 Likes

seems like it’s been a bad cable + charger combination. with another cable it works like a charm now. thank you very much

4 Likes

Good to hear!

I’m a bit confused with something i keep encountering. When going in and out of menus, the pitch changes?? Anybody encounter something similar?

Yikes! No, not on my Typhon.

2 Likes

analog oscillators are prone to power starving. (not enough amps = pitch drift and/or distorted sound) — i wager a different power adapter and/or usb cable will fix this.

5 Likes

Thanks. I bet that’s it. It’s a cheap power brick I’m using.

Anyone found some useful sound design vids? I like the sound design a lot, but I mostly end up with ambient textures!

1 Like

Both reverbs are so musical I’m very often abusing one of them to get some kind of orchestral sound. Then at some point I just turn them off to see what’s hidden under, and look at this, it’s the beautiful Dreadbox filter having fun its twin oscillators!
The analog part is very well thought, these macros are a pleasure to play with!

8 months after I got it this little box keeps on giving.
Even the sequencer and step LFOs are fun, if not entirely practical.

8 Likes

I’m forcing myself to get used to the note sequencer. Tried to create a 4 on the floor pattern with automation in-between to make something musical/rhythmical.
But I’m still so much faster when using digitakt or Microfreak as a sequencer for the typhon

3 Likes

I wish there were scales ^^

But still, it’s cool to bring for bed jam sessions :wink:

11 Likes