Dreadbox Typhon

2 Likes

Has anyone got the Typhon 4 Beta Update got the Audio over USB to work under Ableton Live 10 ?. MIDI over USB seems to work OK, but the Typhon never seems to show up anywhere as an Audio Input device.

I did last time , did you add it in preferences / audio ?
Iā€™m on Mac 10.13.6

1 Like

It depends on your os

Windows 10, seems Iā€™m it of luck with this version.

Same for me. Not supported ?
No sysex update possible ?

Installed under Mac. No issues at allā€¦ but whatā€™s exactly new with this firmware ? Audio over USB ?

A beta was released but pulled , and has been released again ā€¦ presumably a bit better.

The big thing is audio over usb , details are in release notes.

1 Like

On the previous OS, there would occasionally be super loud blasts of static noise on startup for some people. This is supposedly resolved as well.

1 Like

Well at least I know its not just my setup.

Seems we will have to wait for the next Beta release.

Shame that they didnā€™t point out that it doesnā€™t work on their website, would have saved me an hour messing about.

If youā€™re on Windows, you have to first install ASIO4ALL so you can aggregate multiple audio interfaces. Then change your sample rate on your main audio interface to 48 Khz, as Typhon has to operate at 48 Khz in USB-Audio mode. Then itā€™s just a simple matter of selecting ASIO - ASIO4ALL as your audio driver in Ableton Liveā€™s preferences, activate the Control Panel for ASIO4ALL and make sure both your primary interface and Typhon are activated, and make sure your sample rate in Ableton Live is set to 48 Khz. Then create an audio track and set the lines as input (Typhon may show up as 1/2 line, or 3/4 line - it varies). Just start playing back Typhon so itā€™s generating some audio and you should see the meters tick in Ableton Live. Works like a charm. Make sure track monitoring is set to on.

Iā€™ve tested this in Ableton Live Lite (both 10 and 11), as well as Reason 11 and Reason 12. Both USB-Audio (at 48 Khz around 512 sample buffer) and USB-MIDI work great for me, and my system is pushing 10 years old. Primary interface is an RME Babyface Pro.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting this info. Iā€™m sure it will help some people.

2 Likes

I think they actually got it running on earlier Mac OS , as Iā€™m on 10.13.6 which worked ok (older versions didnā€™t but you could get it to work )

In terms of windows 10 Iā€™ve seen other issues with other firmware updates by many manufacturers, something to do with security ā€¦ so itā€™s possible it might be a windows ā€˜being cleverā€™ thing.
And just to clarify this is now on beta 2 , beta 1 was pulled a month/2 months agoā€¦ details of peoples experience will be a few pages up from this .

1 Like

I meant same OS, but I didnā€™t try. Iā€™ll probably wait for official releaseā€¦

1 Like

Excellent response SneakyPinky, thanks for posting this, I think there will be quite a few Windows people scratching their head on this one so thanks for the pointers and explanationā€¦ Iā€™ll get a strong coffee and have a go, seems to be quite a few hoops to jump but I do love the Typhon.

Mod Edit : Non issue; user in question has an existing account (maximum is one obviously) here already.

1 Like

Hi, has anyone managed to send PC to the Typhon from a Digitone ? Canā€™t figure how to do it.

Had it working on the DT and should be exactly them same. On the SRC page, make sure to set the Bank MSB and LSB values to 0 or 1, then turning the Prog number knob should instantly switch programs on the Typhon.

1 Like

Thank a lot mate. After reading your post I checked and rechecked everything on the DTā€¦ with no success. BUT then I opened the CC options one the Typhonā€¦ which were disabled ! So now the DT is talking to the Typhon :wink:

4 Likes

So apparently a whole new bank of presets comes in Firmware 4 (located in Bank D). Some of them are pretty damn cool - just not sure how ā€œmusicalā€ some are. Has anyone had a chance to have a listen? Really makes me love the Typhon even that much more. :love_you_gesture: :hearts: :heartbeat: :hearts:

3 Likes

oh! so have they replaced the ones added in firmware 3.1? (they were the ones included on the slick special edition model)