Dreadbox Typhon

Typhon definitely does take note ons with velocity 0 into account.

4 Likes

Anyone think we’ll get another Firmware 4 beta, or are we stuck on beta 2? Wonder if they’re close to doing a final release.

I think it’s finished, they were waiting for you to ask to release it. :pl:

8 Likes

Plugging it in my computer via USB still gives a bunch of ground noise.
Unfortunately; it only works to plug it in an outlet directly via a charging adapter.

This effectively makes audio / midi over USB useless. Anyone got a fix?

1 Like

I don‘t own a typhon but in my experience the only devices that do audio via usb with (for the most part) no problems are OB enabeled elektrons, but only when using the plugin, not as interface (at least in ableton).
Everything else I tried has ground noise, or random crackling after a while of usage, or random deconnection from time to time.
I guess audio via usb is generally a not very well working technology so far

Or maybe I‘m not smart enough in using it

1 Like

If you’re using a laptop, try unplugging it from power while using the Typhon. Not ideal but has worked for me in similar situations.

1 Like

Recommend for Micromonsta 2 for same reason AFAIK.

1 Like

Eliminate any possible ground loops. Start with powering everything from the same outlet. Also use balanced audio cables where possible, and at least between your audio interface and your speakers.

The thing here is to not use audio cables and send audio via usb.
This means power for the Typhon from the USB and audio transmission at the same time via the same usb cable.

On my iMac 2011 27" I can use it without any problem, powering it and sending audio via USB, no backgound noise.

Anyway, yes, powering everything from the same outlet is a starting point if you’ve other stuff connected, but the test I would do, is just use the computer and the Typhon only, to see if the source of the problem are other devices or not.

1 Like

Yes but eventually you will have to use audio cables to you speakers, right?

You mean don’t plugin jacks? Just USB?

If you want to use audio via usb (with the latest firmware), yes.
You can just plug the usb cable directly to the pc/mac, open your daw, set the inputs and you’ll get the typhon powered by the pc and the audio sent to the pc.

Currently I do that with an old 2011 iMac 27" with High Sierra and Ableton Live.
Works perfectly on my side.
No audio cables on the L/R outputs, I record directly into Ableton via the usb audio stream.

1 Like

Yes! My key step 37 came with an adapter to run power with one USB and data with another USB. Means two cables but it works, way less noise.

Edit: it seems they don’t sell these separately :frowning:

it works! No jack cables fixes the issue. thanks a bunch!

4 Likes

Also; I have gotten a subsequent 37 on a whim (steal, yolo). And the Typhon really holds its own! The grit and the filter is great and what I prefer with the Typhon is the effects section. It really opens up a lot more where the sub37 feels way more limited in sounds until I add some FX. Only played for an hour or 2 but jeez, price, size
 Typhon really is a must have mono Imo.

If anyone can explain what the MOOG does what a Typhon can’t replicate aside from the classic Moog filter; I am curious. Still very much new to synthesis and while the Moog of course has everything laid out in front of you I am not sure what features it has over the typhon.

3 Likes

From fundamental things e.g. 3 oscillators (vs 2) + Noise which sounds great S37 (and there’s no noise on Typhon at all)
Not saying Typhon is bad though :slight_smile:

Yeah the suboscilator of course. And no i get your point I mean the sub also has a knob per function setup where the typhon needs some tinkering.
For the noise I tend to use the distortion FX to create a bit of noise but it’s not the same no.

Just had to post this here.

The Typhon is so deep and goosebump inducing.
Just the device, nothing else. Internal sequencer, modulation, effects 

Perfect for spending a few minutes or hours on the sofa.

18 Likes

This is awesome. I love the Typhon!

2 Likes

Here’s a sequence just on the typhon running through an API16 desk

The sequencer is actually great once you get yer head round it
: can almost parameter lock

3 Likes