Drum n' Bass Battle #1 (Get Animated) [Submissions CLOSED!]

Yeah, that’s the plan. I got a 404, and thats how I was planning to chop, in small sections and muting parts for variations. And just to dedicate it to a purpose and learn it through and through.

The main drawback is when programming the 404, you cannot restart the play head.

Even though resample in Logic is soooooo powerful. And way less frustrating, I want to only use the 404 for the rest of the year at least.

1 Like

Absolutely, there’s something about programming with a tactile hands on machine that just feels right, similarly why I love the M8 and the Elektrons :+1:

1 Like

I’m planning to try to join in using M8 sequencing squid salmple, I am self admitately not great at the bass part of DNB but hopefully I can come up with something cool.

2 Likes

Just throw something in! Whatever you come up with will be appreciated.

Done!

I enjoyed the process although I think I screwed up my transients so it sounds a bit flat.

1 Like

Don’t even worry about it. I have two more days of school, then I can get back into music.

I got your pm with the track, and I’ll let you know when I download it to my laptop to make sure it’s all good.

I’m excited to hear how it sounds.

Edit: it sounds awesom.

I’m already so happy this is happening. I think this is going to be a monthly series and one of the themes around this time next year is going to be a remix of the “winners” tracks.

1 Like

Am on this. Be my first competition. Cartoons are easy as a British man from seventies.

90 seconds incoming…

1 Like

Glad to have you!

I tried to do it in Ableton Note on iPhone during my commuting but too complicated as I am not used to do DnBass. Will try on proper Ableton Live on the computer. If I understand well it is key to have a good breakbeat. For now this is not where I am good (I mainly do House or Lofi).

1 Like

You can probably get away with just sprinkling an amen break throughout how you usually produce if you get stuck.

This one is pretty loose, and actually I’m kinda interested in what people come up with who usually don’t produce DnB.

Might come up with some pretty interesting results.

Put up whatever you come up with.

1 Like

Downloaded an episode of my cartoon and took about 30 chunks of audio.

Quite excited by how that might come together and this is refreshingly different to my usual music making process.

1 Like

I am off next week so will record mine and send. Planning to use anime samples and my new Digitone and Rytm MK2 and SP 404 MK2 to put these new tools to work in my studio. Nothing like 10 days of pure bliss messing in studio with fun new toys!

1 Like

I’m finally done with school as well. Now I can make some things.

I think Il going to take a stab at the biweekly mission brief as well.

Do we need to be grabbing drums and making the breaks from the cartoon we chose? Or is it more just grab some fun parts and put are own breaks in under it?

1 Like

Just pick the fun parts. You can use whatever drums and breaks you feel make it rock.

Still looking forward to this. Not started yet, but planning on doing so tomorrow. First step, binge some 90s classics: Ren and Stimpy, Dexters Lab, Oggy and the Cockroaches, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, and that really dark, dystopian Batman series.

2 Likes

Im happy you’re getting down!

And any excuse to binge the 90’s is a great one!

2 Likes

So I did a shit track yesterday. My first DnB attempt. Either I will stick with it or I will do a new one. But I have another personal constraint to release 1 YT jam video every 2 weeks (my trick to stay motivated making beats) so don’t know if I will have time to do another DnB track. We will see but at least I have something to submit :sweat_smile:

2 Likes