@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

Any thoughts about releasing sound packs for your go-to machines?

1 Like

I actually have all my sounds and project files available on my patreon. I post the project files there every time I upload, and every now and then I make a zip file of my sounds and projects

3 Likes

seedy underbelly (November 28th 2021)

I’ve been playing around with using the Digitakt (and Digitone) as a midi controller for mixing/mastering plugins, hence the labels on the Digitakt. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t made much music lately. After two weeks of searching for the non-existent “perfect” config, I had to stop. I could have gone on forever :stuck_out_tongue:

I got a laptop stand, which makes it possible to put the Digitakt above and behind the Analog Four without getting in the way of cables. This time I’m using the A4 to send program change and transport to the Digitakt, so I can hit the play and stop buttons on the A4. I used the A4 as just a 4 voice poly, no fancy p-locks or anything.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Analog Four, with the following plugin chain added on the master track:
Logical4 (compressor by AirWindows. It’s free!)
Phoenix (saturation plugin by Shattered Glass Audio)
ToTape6 (tape sim by AirWindows. Also free!)
Maximus (multiband expander by Image-Line)

Thanks for watching!

5 Likes

Haven’t paired Them In Over a Year (December 15th 2021)

I haven’t used the Digitakt and Digitone together in over a year. I should do it more often, because they play so well together! Doing trip hop again is so much fun :slight_smile:

I’ve also fallen into the rabbit hole that is making the perfect mastering FX chain, and mapping some controls to the Digitakt. Last time I uploaded a track I promised myself to stick with my template and just get some mileage with it. I’ve already made a big revision, cutting out a few plugins to make things easier, and also to encourage me to make everything sound right before any post processing. For those curious, I’m using stock and free plugins in this order:

Stuff that affects the sound:

• Air2: A plugin that boosts the highs, and is mapped to the “high” knob on the Digitakt.
  • Fruity Parametric EQ: to cut lows and highs. It also has one band that I control from the Digitakt.
  • MJUC jr: A colorful compressor I use to increase the volume of the entire mix.
  • ToTape6: Tape simulation plugin that also acts as a limiter. The more I push the compressor, the more saturation this plugin adds. It also has a “Head Bump” parameter I use for boosting the low end.
  • Fruity Limiter: Used for keeping true peaks at -1dB.

Utility plugins:

• Fruity Balance: a volume knob I use to match the processed and original signals. Mapped to the “Level match” knob. The “Active” button on the bottom right switches between the two so I can compare.
  • Youlean Loudness Meter 2: I use this to check perceived loudness. I try to get it loud, but always compare with the original signal to stop myself from squashing the track too much.

Thanks for watching!

5 Likes

(Pair)mission accorded. Really nice Track!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m gonna have to use the two together more often. Having the same layout and project structure on both devices makes things so much easier since I don’t have to mentally “convert” stuff from one machine to the other.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

old digitone loop became trip hop (December 23rd 2021)

I’ve been playing around with different plugins to put in my mastering FX chain lately. The latest addition was Arturia’s Tape Mello-Fi which is free until the end of 2021, and I’m really liking it so far! The plugin chain now consists of MJUC jr (free compressor by Klanghelm), Tape Mello-Fi, Maximus, and a Fruity Limiter.

This jam was the result of playing around with the tape plugin and trying to find a workaround for a bug where double-stopping on the Digitakt only normal-stopped the Digitone, instead of cutting the audio on both.

4 Likes

So cool !
When i watch your performances, i’m always wondering how prepared they may be and how many takes you need to call it done.
An easy guess is that you know your devices like the back of your hands, so you are always ready to go with the flow, and you don’t need 27 attempts to make it good.

But what’s the ratio between the base scenario of your jam and the things you may add or modify as the session goes ?
Really curious to know about this.

I’ve made some progress with the real time manimpulation of the DN but i clearly suck at getting things done properly before “Take 640” …if i want to replicate precise events.
Missing transitions, butter fingers manipulation…the list goes on.

I’ve made peace with it and i think that now i know how to proceed to have fun and make good session more often.
It seems that the more i plan, the uglier it gets, but if i go 100% instinct, then all is flowing.

So yeah, handling these devices like you or @ylva …that would need some work.
Lots of it !

4 Likes

Thank you very much @NeonMelk! Haha, sometimes I’m lucky and get it on the first try. Other times I make 5-10 false starts in a row. The longer I’ve been recording, the less I’m bothered by mistakes and just leave them in. So most of my videos actually have a bunch of small mistakes that just… became part of the track.

When I’ve made one or two patterns, I start planning out the big motions. How to start the track, how to transition to the next pattern, how to eventually transition back, and how to end the track. These bits are usually pretty specific, but there aren’t that many of them to remember. It can be stuff like “start the track with the chords. Loop once, then unmute the lead. Loop again, unmute drums and bass and switch to the next pattern.” Anything inbetween those bits is improvised, though I’ve usually gotten a lot of practice already while making the track. The improvised bits are stuff like control-all tweaking the filter cutoff, playing around with mutes and send FX on the drum track and hihat track, stuff that’s easy to get back from with a pattern reload. I always try to keep track of where I am in the track, and stop improvising when a big change is coming up. They’re often a scramble to remember everything and execute everything at once, and also remember what to do after the big change, and I often miss cues and that’s usually OK :smiley:

2 Likes

I tried making a cinematic sci-fi track but ended up with fighting music (December 26th 2021)

Making this track was yet another anti-GAS measure. I’ve been researching semi-modular synths because patching looks fun, and knob-per-function looks fast and intuitive. While watching demos and reviews, I tried recreating everything I heard on the Analog Four, and found that the A4 really does hold up!

All audio is coming from the Analog Four, with some compression (MJUC jr), saturation (Tape MELLO-FI) and light mastering (Maximus and Fruity Limiter). Everything was recorded in one take, no overdubs.

Thanks for watching!

10 Likes

I’d be interested in knowing what you were recreating…!

Thanks for your response !

I know this one well !.. but the worst case i’m quite used to, is the big F#°k up near the very end of a pretty good performance !
Like dying to a Dark Souls Boss before the last hit

So yeah, you’ve confirmed most of what i’ve guessed.
The Elektrons are awesome because you keep the core of the track ready, and alternate versions are easy to create or perform…well, in theory !

The key is to know your tool, obviously.
Not so long ago i only “dared” to switch patterns, mute/unmute, a few filter classic moves and eventually one or two shy tweaks.
Like i said in another thread, i’m just begining my second year with the Digitone and it has just started to get really interesting.

Time to check your new A4 jam now !

2 Likes

fumbling around in a 16 step techno pattern (December 31st 2021)

I tried playing a pattern live without using performance macros on the Analog Four. Turns out it’s really hard, so I gave up and made performance macros for this after all. There’s just no way to do all the things I want without preparing macros beforehand. The macros are amazing, but they do require a lot of time to set up. This takes a way a lot of the spontaneity you get with the Digitakt and Digitone. They have fewer knobs and pages, making it easier to jump between tracks and pages tweak the right parameter.

All audio is coming from the Analog Four, with compression from the Digitakt and MJUC jr, saturation from Tape Mello-Fi and mastering from Maximus. Recorded in one take, no overdubs. Warts and all :smiley:

Thanks for watching, and happy new year!

9 Likes

I wish I had a DFAM (4th January 2022)

All the DFAM demos I’ve heard sound great, so I tried making something DFAM-y on my Analog Four. I stuck with this 8 step pattern for 8 minutes, experimenting with the mute and accent trig types and p-locking trigs randomly on the fly. I’m used to preparing all the sequences beforehand, so changing them while they’re playing was really weird and surprisingly fun! But also stressful, since there are too many pages and parameters to think about, even after setting up 8 macros. I have to try this more :slight_smile:

All audio is coming from the Analog Four, with compression from the Digitakt and MJUC jr, saturation from Tape Mello-Fi and mastering from Maximus. Recorded in one take, no overdubs.

Thanks for watching!

13 Likes

Awesome! So how do you feel about getting DFAM now? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you! It’s out of the question, as have a dying PC that needs replacement. Next piece of gear will be a boring but necessary laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You made 4 on the Floor tolerable to my ears.
Take that as a HUUUUUUGE Compliment.

Also, please stop making me want a A4.

3 Likes

Oh yes, please. It’s been a treat! What a groove!

I would really enjoy a 45 mn set of yours, I am sure I’d learn a lot.

1 Like

Haha, thank you @NeonMelk! I do take that as a huge compliment :smiley:
Thank you so much for the support, @LyingDalai! I’ve been thinking about putting together a longer set for a while, but every time I actually try doing it I realize how big of a task it actually is. Now that I’ve stretched out an 8 pattern sequence to 8 minutes, I’m a bit more confident I can string together patterns into something a bit longer :slight_smile:

1 Like