@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

syntakt dnb (1st June 2022)

No interesting title this time, been a bit sick lately and don’t have the energy to come up with one. Making a track at 180 bpm was a nice change of pace!

All audio is coming from the Syntakt, running through the following plugins at practically init settings:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
Maximus (multiband expander)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

SAWED OFF SHOTGUN (4th June 2022)

I recently finished The Last of Us 2, which was an amazing experience, and I was always in awe at the combat music in the game. I’ve also been exploring the BD HARD and SD HARD machines on the Syntakt. The end result was this aggressive battle track :smiley:

All audio is coming from the Syntakt, running through the following plugins:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

i left at the end (6th June 2022)

I had to go in the middle of filming, hence the title. I’m really enjoying the dark tones I’m getting out of the Syntakt!

MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

11 Likes

That’s one of the best synthesized punchy snares I’ve ever heard. How on earth did you make it? Mine always end up sounding too tonal from the pitch envelope.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I don’t remember exactly how that one was made, but I have a general approach when making my snare sounds. I have a tonal “blup” sound using an oscillator (often a tri waveform) and a “tss” sound using the noise generator. Then I use the an envelope to make the tonal sound fade out really fast, then make the noise sound fade in equally as fast (or thereabouts). That way the sound starts with the “blup” and ends with “tss”, but they they fade into each other and sounds like a “bssh!”

Then I’ll use the 2nd filter to boost the mids, to give the snare a lot more body. This combined with overdrive can make the snare nice and punchy. From here it’s a matter of finding the sweet spots, so there’s a lot of trial and error involved :smiley:

7 Likes

I love that you used “blup”, “tss”, the. “Bssh”. Totally made those sounds in my head when I read it. :metal:

1 Like

Be right back, putting a request for a Bssh! machine on the Syntakt feature request thread

1 Like

Yea, I have a similar approach but I’ve never been able to get a snare that sounds this good. Sounds like a Ringo Starr style acoustic kit tea-towel snare smashed with saturation and colour compression like you’d hear on a Tame Impala song. Amazing.

1 Like

Rythm Sword (21st June 2022)

My wife and I recently got a VR headset and I’ve pretty much been hooked on Beat Saber. So much so that I’m thinking of making Beat Saber maps with my own music :P. Here’s a DnB-ish track inspired by the music that comes with that game. I’m typing as fast as I can so I can play some more.

MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

6 Likes

Syntakt Meets Digitone

This was a fun combo :smiley:

All audio is coming from the Syntakt and the Digitone, running through the following plugins:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

7 Likes

Scalding Synth Tea (10th July 2022)

I’ve spent another week making more “mastering” templates. I tried to put together as few plugins as possible where small adjustments would go a long way. In the end I only made a little change to a very old template that has stood the test of time, replacing the plugin I use for EQ (Maximus) with another one (SlickEQ).

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, running through the following FX chain:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
SlickEQ (equalizer)
ToTape6 (tape sim)
Limiter6 (using the clipper and limiter modules)

Thanks for watching!

Color Smear (17th July 2022)

On the Elektronauts forums I compared the Analog Four to painting with 4 tubes of oil paint. I really like how messy and organic it sounds, and how easily everything blends into each other thanks to the performance macros.
T1: Lead
T2: Arp
T3: Hihats and extra snares
T4: Kick/bass and main snare

Performance macros:
A, B, C, F: The “intensity” of the lead, arp, hats, and kick/bass, respectively
E: Increases delay/reverb
G: highpass on the kick/bass
H: Engages the kick/bass’ 2nd LFO to change the rythm
I: Changes some parameters on the kick/bass to make an “alternate” sound

Everything was recorded in one take, no overdubs. All audio is coming from the Analog Four, with the following plugins added in post:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
Maximus (Multiband expander I use as an EQ)
SlickEQ (equalizer for the highest highs)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

Mørkeredd (24th July 2022)

I wanted to try another “evil” ambient track on the Analog Four, and it turned out a lot more melodic than I initially planned. I had a ton of fun making this, using different lengths per track with both note and parameter slide trigs, stopping and starting patterns seamlessly thanks to the super long amp releases, and constantly varying rythms using LFOs that modulate each other.

Everything was recorded in one take, no overdubs. All audio is coming from the Analog Four, with the following plugins added in post:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)
SlickEQ M (for stereo widening and softening resonances)

Thanks for watching!

Gangsta Syntakt (27th July 2022)

I wanted to try another “evil” ambient track on the Analog Four, and it turned out a lot more melodic than I initially planned. I had a ton of fun making this, using different lengths per track with both note and parameter slide trigs, stopping and starting patterns seamlessly thanks to the super long amp releases, and constantly varying rythms using LFOs that modulate each other.

MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)
SlickEQ M (for stereo widening and softening resonances)

Thanks for watching!

Ultra Happy Without Existential Dread (1st August 2022)

This is the most complex drum pattern I’ve made on the Syntakt so far! I usually layer my drums: a digital and analog kick combine into one big kick, same with the snare. This time I used 7 different tracks for 7 different drum sounds. A kick and a snare, two hihat tracks, a ride, and cowbell. I’m happy with how the cowbell turned out :slight_smile:

Everything was recorded in one take, no overdubs. All audio is coming from the Syntakt, with the following plugins added in post:
MJUC (compressor)
Phoenix (preamp sim)
ToTape6 (tape sim)

Thanks for watching!

first track with the MPC Live 2 (24th August 2022)

I’ve been curious about the MPC and SP-404 for a while, and when this MPC Live 2 showed up for about half the retail price (including a 500GB SSD), I couldn’t pass it up! The workflow is completely different from the Elektron workflow I’m very familiar with, and I’m having a lot of fun being a newbie. Aside from learning the machine itself, I’m also wondering how to approach making videos on it.

I only used the onboard synths and FX for this track(tubesynth for the melody and bassline for bass, compressor, EQ, and maximizer on the main outs).

Thanks for watching!

finger drumming a full track on the MPC Live 2 (27th August 2022)

Finger drumming is super fun! I almost ran out of batteries just playing the MPC on my lap with the speakers turned on. I could’ve sworn my timing got worse as soon as I started recording, but hopefully it’ll get better with practice :slight_smile:

I was really inspired by Hooch Music’s live set: https://youtu.be/fPT2cwW6HYw
And flobama-beats, particularly this track: https://youtu.be/RjHe7CSEYQA

I’m only using the onboard FX: a compressor with old school mode turned on, an EQ, and a maximizer.

Thanks for watching!

21 Likes

It’s cool that the first example on the MPC is still pretty identifiable as you and your style (IMO), despite being created on a vastly different piece of kit!

3 Likes

Thank you very much @Jacob!

what if i sample the analog four (1st September 2022)

I originally tried to capture my finger drumming straight to audio, but I gave up after an hour of failed attempts. Finger drumming is hard! I was more comfortable playing to a metronome though, and with the ability to go back and fix mistakes in the piano roll later.

I’m only using the onboard FX: a compressor with old school mode turned on, an EQ, and a maximizer.

Thanks for watching!

10 Likes

The MPC gives me calluses (8th September 2022)

Finger drumming is still hard. I’m trying to learn the sequencer, and have made a handful of loops but haven’t managed to finish any of them yet. It’s gonna take some time to get used to it! Like in the last video, what you’re hearing is quantized. Since I recorded the midi notes, I could go back and correct stuff.

Thanks for watching!

5 Likes

These MPC Live tracks are really great! Once upon a time I considered getting one, and if these tracks had existed as GAS fuel/inspiration maybe I would have. Keep em coming!

1 Like

Chrome Jock (Digitone)

I haven’t made music in a while because I bought a cruiser board and have been out of the house whenever I can just skating around. I also started watching Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, hence the title and genre.

All audio is coming from the Digitone, recorded in one take and with no overdubs. I used the following plugins in post:

• Molotok, one of Tokyo Dawn Labs’ free compressors
  • SlickEQ, their free EQ
  • ToTape6 by Air Windows, a free tape sim I’ve been using forever
  • Limiter6, the paid version of Tokyo Dawn Labs’ limiter

Thanks for watching!

Also, The project file for this track is available to my patrons: https://www.patreon.com/posts/73385347
It uses patterns H01, H02 and H09 on the attached project file.

13 Likes

At this point, you belong in the Wizard class of tweaking the DN.
And of course, the first thing we hear is the musician’s voice through the instrument.

You rascal you.

1 Like

You could easily add these lyrics :smiley:

You can have my isolation
You can have the hate that it brings
You can have my absence of faith
You can have my everything

and so on :smiley:
as usual, great, and this little NIN feeling

1 Like

Hands Off (30th October 2022)

I’ve been having more fun exploring song mode. I’m very happy with how easy it is to switch in and out of song mode! It makes it easy to work on a specific set of patterns, then switch to song mode to listen to those patterns in the context of a full track. I still have to get used to it, because I keep losing my place in the track when I’m not manually switching patterns.

All audio is coming from the Digitone, recorded in one take and with no overdubs. I used the following plugins in post:

• Molotok, one of Tokyo Dawn Labs’ free compressors
  • SlickEQ, their free EQ
  • ToTape6 by Air Windows, a free tape sim I’ve been using forever
  • Limiter6, the paid version of Tokyo Dawn Labs’ limiter

The track uses Song #2 in song mode and patterns H03, H04, H11, and H12 in the attached project: https://www.patreon.com/posts/73967193?pr=true

Thanks for watching!

10 Likes

Glad to finally see the song mode put to good use. Great showcase for a feature yet to be showcased in full potential

1 Like

Nice to see how you’re using the song mode

1 Like

@Eaves

Are you still using/enjoying the Mpc?

1 Like