Electra one - programmable midi (CC, SysEx, NRPN) controller

without (for me easily usable) bidirectional implementation I can as well use all my other MiDi controllers or even Digitone/Digitakt

Also big downer was 14 bit … unusable if I have to turn 10 minutes to get from 0 to 16384 :sweat_smile: But I guess … who needs 14 bit :nerd_face:

For example … I downloaded the Diva preset. Didn’t know how to continue… should I now MiDi map all the 1052 knobs?

that is strange, I can do that with one turn :slight_smile: @PekeDorty, if you want pls reach me out on the electra one forum.

1 Like

Load the diva preset, check your midi connections/channels/hardware species to receive midi, it is ready to go actually, no need to midi map stuff since it uses the midi implementations of your software/hardware and that is all in the preset itself already, it is almost plug and play :grinning:

You do not have to use 14bit (works for me too, weird), there are different choices you can choose and depends on what your controller should do (fast/slow, plus/minus, ADSR, colour, labeling). Maybe I am more used to it, because I worked with the Lemur Editor for a while.

Postet this earlier, has been updated a bit, but Chrome Editor is drag/drop and edit stuff to your likes, it is easy and fun.

1 Like

I wish … okay Diva was maybe a bad example since it’s pretty much not possible to control it externally since the UI changes are too severe with all the different VCO / filter and what not implementations. But still … no bidirectional MIDI … actually not even one direction … only one two knobs work that I remapped (maybe that preset is just not compatible with my Diva :smiley: )

Can I try your XO/Chromaphone presets?

1 Like

Sure, hope this works, have not made them public yet, they are pretty simple… Unfortunately XO VST does not let you save its midi assignments (and Ableton neither I think), Chromaphone does, I do not have my EC connected, there are 5 pages i do not remember if I used new cc values, but Chromaphone lets you save its midi assignments, but I had to make decisions what I want to control, check if this file works for you Chromaphone 3.epr (44.4 KB)

XO XO.epr (33.3 KB) 8 pages, pretty basic, I only made controls for things like Volume/Mute/Solo/sends/ADSR/Pan/Pitch/high cut/low cut, for each of the tracks. I asked XO about the possibility to make XO save its midi assignments last year, not sure if updates changed anything, couldn’t find any release notes. I think you have to reassign everything, which does not take too long, but is still a pain if you just want to start quick.

I hope they work for you.

2 Likes

Hmm… so without me mapping everything …how should I proceed? I stared at Ableton now for 20 minutes … creating MIDI tracks sending MIDI to Chromaphone track … just setting MIDI in of Chromaphone to E1 – I’m clueless how this should work out.

I’m not quite sure what you are expecting here?

generally DAWs/VSTs are not like hardware … they don’t allocate fixed CC to parameters. (this is not viable)

so we use midi learn, and these are usually stored in the daw project (or sometimes vst preset), since the mapping is often different for different projects.

this is not something E1 can do anything about, thats the way DAWs/VSTs work.

as for bi-directional control - this is down to the DAW/VST, some daws support bi-directional control using midi learn, others do not. the E1 will respond to it if the daws supports it.

so indeed for the most part for VSTs you’d have to download the E1 preset, then map it to vsts.

how this works depends on your daw, but in Ableton this also requires you to mark your midi connection in preferences as ‘Remote’ (again common to every midi controller)
… Im pretty sure there are posts on the E1 forum talking about this.

I also disagree this is a a lot of work/preset are of no use…
simply because:
all you have to do is activate midi learn in ableton, then touch control on vst, touch encoder on e1… repeat … even with many parameters, this is pretty quick to do.

the presets save you a lot of work, like laying out parameters, naming them, setting ranging and doing things like naming ‘enums’

really this is the best that can be done…

sure, there could be ‘control surface scripts’ written for every daw, but this was never promised or part of the scope of E1… so would need some with the time/inclination to do.
I think someone is doing something with Bitwig, not sure about Ableton.
its actually quite tricky to do this ‘generically’, this you have to do things like track the ‘active’ track and such like.

2 Likes

So… I’ve been eyeing this unit for a while, thinking it would really improve the experience of working with plugins.

I’d love to hear from users in what ways the Electra One has met your expectations and in what ways it’s maybe fallen short.

Still happy with your purchase overall or?

Cheers,

Stephane

1 Like

I stumbled upon this in this forum and is quite intrigued. Would love to hear if any one who has some of the Stereoping Controllers (I have the big one for Matrix 1000), do you prefer those or the Electra for interacting with your synths? Obviously the Electra come control multiple synths at the same time (I think?), but for individual ones, is the user interaction as good with Electra as with dedicated controllers?

Would also be interested in finding out where I can get hold of one of these beauties. Seems to be sold out on the website, and with no newsletter, pre-order mailing list or other way of understanding when new ones might be available.

They’re taking pre-orders for the mk2 version with some notable improvements.

The Electra One mkII builds on the original design. Good things are kept. And there were lessons learned as well. The controller looks the same from outside, but there are many changes inside.

12 presets in real-time
A new powerful CPU and large memory allow users to run whole bank of presets simultaneously. What does that mean? It means Electra One mkII will keep all preset parameters in sync, even for inactive presets in the bank. When you switch between bank presets, all preset parameters will always have correct values.

And there is more. Do you have a preset that generates MIDI LFO or runs a sequence of notes? It will run on the background even if you switch to another preset to tweak the sounds. It almost feels like having 12 controllers.

MIDI Router
More processing power makes it possible to route, filter, and remap MIDI messages between all the MIDI interfaces, ports, and channels.

The MIDI router can be controlled with a static configuration, on-screen buttons, or programatically with Lua script functions.

Order page: https://electra.one/order

EDIT: Link to the announcement in the forum: Electra One mkII - General discussion - Electra One Community

6 Likes

Since there is more CPU Power, I suppose that all or most of the functionality will not be available on the MK1, right ?

The router and multi-preset bit no — those are the things the new hardware enables.

Good point, I’ve added a link to the announcement in my post.
Here is what Martin said:

An important thing to mention: we keep the original Electra One fully supported. Whenever we come with a new feature, we will try to implement it for both makes, the original and mkII. Of course, sometimes it will not be possible.

3 Likes

This would be pretty interesting if there was a way to quickly change scales / chords with just a single dial like what the Hydrasynth can do on the Voice to cause it to snap to a particular key.

Looks like it may be programmable with Lua which would allow for a bunch of tweaking.

Edit:

I’m looking at the Lua implementation for callbacks and this looks doable provided the default callback behaviour is to consume the message and not forward so it can be replaced by the explicit send message call.

Without that, there’d need to be some sort of explicit drop() function to stop processing this message after that callback. Not clear how it’s hooked in for the callback.

Awesome. The country list is quite short though. Asia is kinda neglected.

1 Like

You should reach out to Martin, the owner. He’s very friendly and maybe you can work something out.

Yeah, I am sorry for that. We had quite some issues with shipping to some countries in the past, even though we use DHL express. I adjusted the country list accordingly. I am ready and happy to deal with such cases individually.

8 Likes

You’re awesome. I’m out of cash at the moment, but it’s definitely on my wishlist.

1 Like