Electronic music zines

I start this topic since, at first, it looks no one had made it before. So the question is which are your favourite music zines, both paper and online, that you read to keep updated about the electronic music scene?

And also what are the kind of article you use to read ? Namely interviews, charts, production tips etc.??

These are my fews that i can recall now:
Wire magazine (great for experimental music , their podcast are very inspiring)
Attack Mag ( It shares some good tips and discount on vsts and softwares)
Datacide (although more focussed on politics it shares some of the finest charts and reviews of noise and breakcore music)

5 Likes

yeah I like Attack too it has some good stuff, I like its top 20 lists for fantasy gear and its articles that are a mix of text and sound demos are cool too.

Make Noise has a sporadic zine, a lot of their youtube is really engaging and thoughtfully put together as well, which is kinda a modern zine format in a way.

Electronic Sound magazine

4 Likes

By far this

http://legowelt.org/cyberzine/

I used to like Music Technology mag back in the day, TapeOp used to be very good too.

7 Likes

Wow. Never heard of it.
Thanks!

Have fun!

1 Like

I used love Music from the Empty Quarter from years back. It was electronic, industrial, ebm, experimental based. I’m sure I’ve still got them somewhere.

There’s a few uploaded on archive.org which is cool… worth checking out if interested. :grinning:

7 Likes

Tape Op is still worth reading - some of the interviews they publish are really good, and give a lot more technical details about recording than most music interviews with artists, engineers and producers do. It’s also free!

4 Likes

Nice artwork, looks like some independent handmade zine, love this! Is it from London scene?

I’ve always enjoyed the technical details of Sound on Sound interviews, like this one, for example:
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/autechre

But to be honest, I haven’t read them in years.

4 Likes

Great thread, keen to learn what’s out there.

We are looking seriously into stocking zines, digital, books etc that are relevant and also want to do a small booklet/zine for our 10th year with the label. Never done this before so this thread is perfect timing.

I did stumble upon this one a while ago, still not read tho as forgot i had it until this thread. Looks cool tho:

Quite a big one A4. BOC in the first issue it seems, and that old nasty PM is mentioned too.

7 Likes

Cool, i also started this thread with the serious will to learn more about other magazine to reprint and maybe translate some article for my independent zine called Default.

If you are interested into independent zines you could consider worth looking at the above mentioned zines:

I personally wrote in two issues of Datacide, the editors are really kind and thought you could contact them to get some copies of the zines if you like the contents.
EDIT they are still based in Berlin where they run the Praxis record store

6 Likes

Amazing!!!

Yeah I definitely will look into Datacide nice one. Also good to know your write stuff yourself.

You make a good point with translations as well. Noted.

1 Like

Disco Pogo is great: https://www.discopogo.co

Record is also super nice: https://record-magazine.com

Trax Mag (in French): https://www.traxmag.com

2 Likes

+1 on Disco Pogo, lots of good writing.

It was from the early 90s, and a UK publication. It was before mainstream internet, so you had to order it mail order. It was printed (so not DIY), but still had that small publishing feel. The content was mainly focused on electronic, experimental, ebm and industrial scenes of the time.

2 Likes

+1 for Disco Pogo
Not focussed on electronic music, but Wax Poetics
Faith Magazine for House, House 6 more fucking House
Old issues of Straight no Chaser are quite educational, too

Yeah that definetely gave that plus to the early electronic music. Although i didn’t live that times (i was a child in 90s) I could imagine the incredibile sound discoveries one was able to find with the hints found on a strange magazine covered with those early psychedelic digital arts. That’s what I miss in these overstreamed times :wink:

1 Like

Exactly, it was all word of mouth through like-minded friends and spending time in record shops. There were so many times that you missed out on records that either sold out or you just didn’t hear about, but that was part of the fun.

It’s a different landscape now, and the internet has probably made things a lot easier on the info front but has opened up so much more in terms of scope and awareness. It’s a minefield and drives me insane at times. I can buy records in a blink of an eye (whilst talking to my missus) and it takes no effort that at times I wonder why I’m doing it. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have a lot of respect for people that run these types of specialized music zines - nobody does it for the money. It’s all passion-driven. I ran an electronic music blog for a couple of years, but it’s such a tiring and thankless job, you really have to do it because you love it and have the time/energy.

4 Likes