Elektron x Loop Cloud

Eh, it’s a mixed bag. I agree that a lot of music that you hear now literally IS just re-arranged loops from splice or loopcloud, but tbh that’s always been a thing. Before this stuff they had construction kits and sample CDs too, even in the 90s. I don’t like the idea of using loops liberally either but I had a splice subscription for a bit because it’s useful when you just want a specific component of a sound and don’t want to be limited to your own library. I even found it useful for a bit for non-music sound design. They have a non-trivial amount of foley stuff on there that’s viable for film and game sound. I sincerely doubt anyone who complains about this stuff made EVERY single sound on their device from scratch. It’s just another way to collect raw materials, and it’s more about the type of producer you are and your integrity than the product itself. I agree that music is too consumerism-oriented right now though, but we are on a forum for a synth company :joy:

6 Likes

I WISH Roland’s integration was half as good as elektron.

I don’t bother with packs, because it’s a huge pain in the arse to load them in my MC707.

And no VST type interface for the 707/101 is a super bummer.

1 Like

I went to sign up for it and they don’t send a confirmation email so I can’t login. I wouldn’t normally use a service like this but I’d definitely give it a crack for free for a couple of months.

They scare me when they make the gear too computer-dependent …

2 Likes

…hear u, but elektron devices are famous for the fact, that u can really create ur very, very own sonic spice with these, all on ur own…it’s one thing to take a snippet from somewhere to get u started, or if u choose/purchase prefab genre snippets from neverending lists and style catalogues ur scrolling through at first…

it’s one thing to buy certain instruments in pre layout multimappings, sonic scapes u simply can’t reinvent/recreate like orchestras or whatnot…
or if ur just the next midi chord pack guy…

heyho, elektron…be elektron, not ni…

we’ve seen enough software business tryin’ to come up with hw to sell…
don’t try it the other way around…tell ur business friends at loopypoopy and co, to go and foff…
don’t start to forget who’s THE original…

2 Likes

What? Man we’ve been making music with samples and loops for a very long time now. I’m curious any what you think loopcloud is? :sweat_smile: It’s not going to make any music for you the way you make it sound with your diatribe… Are you one of those that won’t use any sound unless they made them themselves? :joy::joy::joy:

Dude… :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I like loopcloud not so much for the loops, but for being able to cherry pick oneshots, it has an editor in there for adding effects, basic chopping/patterns and adding some effects that get baked into the sample it exports.

It’s also very handy for those of use who can’t sing so well, but would like some vocal bits to work with.

1 Like

Digitakt is a sampler so…

Samples!

Seriously though loops can be useful. More often than not I may use a loop of some tops to add something to my groove but it’ll get snipped beyond recognition. It just speeds up the workflow so my time can be better spent concerntrating on the parts that really give the music its identity.

1 Like

Seems to be working when dragging and dropping samples, and adjusting the tempo, but not in sync when you play loop samples along with Digitakt

I understand you leeroy!

Makes no sense.

The fact that loops exist is not the problem.

There’s also lots of uses for them instead of building an entire song out of them, like being able to sample things without needing sample clearance and shared royalties.

Yes there is a whole business side to music that’s existed long before any of us were born. That’s not new.

All creative tools can be misused by someone and they most often do get misused by someone looking for quick money.

Some people even make money by selling their loops so I’m not able to trash yet another opportunity for some to try and get paid from creative endeavors.

1 Like

It’s another option to easily get samples from loopcloud on your DT. It is integrated nicely so no need to use Transfer in this case.

If you’re not interested in loopcloud and just want to copy samples manually or create backups: Transfer it is.

1 Like

I want to try out this thing out for the sake of checking out the integration rather than the their loops, and certainly don’t want a subscription.

I’m yet to be able to try it as it won’t let me login. But can anyone tell me if we can use this for local files once a sub has ended, or do they make you login each time?

No, they are paywalling free account users from version 7 unfortunately :frowning:

What are the limitations of Loopcloud’s free version? -

From Loopcloud 7, the Loopcloud Desktop App is not available to use for non-subscribers. Purchased sounds and packs will still be available to download from Loopcloud Sounds online, however all in-app features are disabled for free users.

1 Like

Is this potentially something Elk Herd would resolve (if it gets updated)?

I haven’t used Elk Herd before.

I had a poke around of the v7 loopcloud executable in Windows (using HxD), and it looks like they are using sysex to transfer the samples in the same way the Transfer app (and elkherd) do, so it’s likely the purge feature could be added to elkherd down the road.

2 Likes

It definitely seems it doesn’t need to be tied to Loopcloud, but I’m guessing there’s a financial incentive for the partnership.

Hopefully even Transfer will get an update.

1 Like

All of ‘UR’ own original music sucks(not ‘U’, I mean the general ‘U’) Sorry to break to all of you in this thread, but someone has to to point it out. Myself is included in the sucking.

The reason being, YU try to do it all by URself, and U just aren’t talented enough to do it all by Urself.

When U are in a band, U don’t play every instrument or come up with every idea. U have others to provide inspiration and tangible examples of musical ideas.

If U are alone in your bedroom studio, sample resources take the place of band members and reduce the workload of creation.

Anyone who thinks U have to be responsible for every note in the creation of music is taking on a load that, I believe, is too large to bear and is holding you back from being your best.

If the idea of using others samples is too distasteful, then I suggest reaching out to other humanoids to collaborate with.

6 Likes

U be U, it’s all good, no problems!

U be U is the name of my new album.

All loops only of course.

2 Likes