Elektron x Loop Cloud

Does anyone have any ideea how to activate the extended 2 month trial for us Elektron users? I created a loopcloud account but the only option I had was to start a free Artist trial which lasts only 14 days.

I haven’t been able to get this to work. Anyone else having problems?

Mac OS 10.14 mojave + digitakt 1.5 + loopcloud 7.1.3

I changed Digitakt USB settings to Midi + Audio, I see the Elektron tab

But it is stuck on the tab with midi connections - it has it selecting Digitakt in and out - if I hit connect, it freezes up. On the other hand, if I just try to click the other tabs like RAM or track, it doesn’t show those tabs at all.

i’m sorry but why do you feel offended by this? it’s not like they’re pointing a gun at people’s head to use “bought” samples. if you’re into creating your own samples strictly by yourself, good for you! do it, create a marvelous tune, release it to the world, tell everyone that you create all your samples yourself and it’s special (it really is) and live your live proudly to the fullest.

otherwise it just sounds like getting angry at a cook using grocery bought vegetables instead of growing the vegetables themselves.

7 Likes

haven’t tried loopcloud integration yet but maybe this general tip works: in my experience, when any usb hub etc is connected to my mac, a “direct” connection to the mac (meaning over a usb port ON the mac itself) is almost always messed up. I either unplug the hub OR connect DT (or ST, or AH they all do it) over the hub and then the connection becomes pretty stable.

1 Like

Thanks but I meant access to their app after the end of the sub, rather than their sounds. Looks like it’s not possible now.

…well, it’s more like feeling anger if the cook calls him/herself a chef of top cuisine, using freshest and finest ingredients only but end of the day, everything he/she’s created turns out to be nothing but instant soup and noodlecups…

but ur right…i’m just too oldschool, coming from those days when u could only become a producer if u had a likewise mindset, spent quite some time and effort to sharpen ur skills before u could even think of gettin’ something started…

nowadays it’s all just drag 'n drop as fast 'n comfy as possible, copy of a copy of a copy of a copy while time is money and even messing around with fancy hardware surely needs further more shortcuts, ur personal oooh sooo hot hotline to the hottest sonic shit super market subscription…
i get it, it’s just me…not u…

5 Likes

I call BS on this.

What would the famous Muscle Shoal sound be if it wasn’t artists coming down to work with a band that helped create the sounds that then became hits.

Yeah it wasn’t a loop, but it’s not like they did it all by themselves. It a group of guys (the swampers) that defined that sound.

What about the Mellotron? Looped sounds used on countless albums.

Artists all over have ghostwriters, guest producers who throw stuff together for artists to sell/promote as their own.

More than half the people on here are likely old school and capable of making their own sounds at any given time.

This just sounds elitist because why stop here? Maybe we shouldn’t call someone a guitarist unless they built their own guitar.

3 Likes

People should do as they please but making your own loop hardly equates to building a guitar.

I never understood why the DT did not have a micro SD. Yeah, I get the creative limitation argument. But I’m loving my M8 for this reason. Streaming straight from the 64GB SD without a glitch.

4 Likes

The LoopCloud integration is telling me something more is coming. They are not in the business of serving small 1GB drives. Elektron is in this game for the long run. I guess a new sampler is on the horizon.

7 Likes

The relationship is unnecessary nitpicking. Anyone can pick multiple parts of what’s wrong about music today (and yesterday). Parts of it could be as right as they are irrelevant.

So, do as you please. Yes. No judgment necessary.

2 Likes

shingles doesn’t care!

…ur missing the point here…

it’s one thing if u collaborate…create something TOGETHER that was not existing before…
or if u pick something, home alone, from some endless prefab lists of already perfectly taylored genre snippets, sonic suggestions some business subscription model is sugarcoding for u…

no talent needed to feel blessed…just waste ur time and ur money…all be fine…u might be not a recording artist, but hey, NOW u can call urself a consuming curator…who needs truu innovation if wording can make u become everything…is’nt that nice.

it’s not about some snobby elitism…
it’s about a work and handcraft ethos, an artistic mindset that got lost along the way in countless bedroom “studios” in this age of information…

and sorry, not sorry…but if the new takt options still make u feel, i can’t get this going anywhere, i better spent some further time and further money to see what’s waiting next for me on loopcloud, it might be time to think about another hobby…

speaking of which…at least all this will lead to bigger +drives… :wink:

4 Likes

It is pure elitism because you have a narrow idea of how loops are used.

I don’t think anyone agrees that would constitute being anything other than someone who uses loops.

So once you get passed that, there’s a whole different conversation.

I am a trained drummer who also has multiple drum machines and I have no problem using a drum loop especially when what I’m working is melody driven and I need to get the idea out.

Sometimes the looped drums even stays. If it works, it works.

8 Likes

Low effort music has always been lame. Elektron machines let you wring all sorts of sounds out of any sample – doesn’t matter if you recorded it yourself, got it from a pack or got it from Loopcloud. Crate digging doesn’t seem to be as viable as it used to be.

4 Likes

Prove it!

…low effort music…!?..sounds like a not too bad genre…aaaaand if it worx, it worx…that much is truu…like anything.

2 Likes

Anyone else having trouble with the Loopcloud app on Mac? I’m on the latest version of Ventura, on a 2018 i5 MacBook Air. Loopcloud app keeps freezing and making me force quit. Maybe my computer is just too old?

He’s tripping if he thinks picking a few loops can make a good sounding track without skill and hard work.

It’s the dumbest kind of elitism. That which is born out of ignorance. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Have you used a Digitakt? Cos what you’re talking about sounds like what people used to do with Acid back in the early 2000s. Besides, the Digitakt is a serious sound manipulation machine, why would you use it to simply play back pre-made loops? There’s much easier ways to do that.
Bad, low effort music exists regardless of genre or medium, how many identikit blues guitarists can you find on YouTube in ten minutes? How much generic pop has existed in the last 40-50 years? Tons!

Samples are samples, they’re a huge part of electronic music making, and what you’re railing against is a mindset and approach, not the tech or media used. I’ve used loops, I’ve used MIDI files, but I’ve also made custom devices in software and hardware, built guitars, etc and none of that matters, they’re all just a means to an end.
Also Loopcloud have more than just loops, and let’s not pretend we’re all handcrafting our 909 kicks from scratch.
Tools are tools, it’s what you make with them that counts.

11 Likes