Elektronauts dnb/jungle tunes/tips

That’s dope! Glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Those were really good! Are the grainy time stretch artifacts coming from the OT time stretch? It sounds like it, but it could also be baked into the samples (?) I really like how the OT time stretch does that – some people complain about it, but it reminds me of the time stretching in the old akai S950s and such!

1 Like

:fire: :fire:

1 Like

I only found out the 950 was 12bit the other day. I never knew. was wondering why it’s coveted above the s3000 in the jungle circles. MD style.

you learn something new every day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’m loving everything I’m hearing in this thread

1 Like

Oh yeah, a ton of classic tracks had all that time stretch goodness from the S950!

Another big one was the E-Mu SP1200. A lot of the sound from early dnb had audio sampled from vinyl to the E-Mu SP1200. To save time people used to speed up the records during the sampling process and then later slow down the audio in the sampler, which introduced all sorts of fun aliasing. It became part of the sound. I think this also happened in a lot of hip hop tracks.

There’s a plugin that emulates both the Akai and E-mu: waveTracing - SP950 plugin

Another one was the Akaizer, but I don’t think it’s developed anymore

1 Like

creamy filter on that Emu. was jealous of me mates who had it back in the day. s3000 resonance was a bit on the harsh side imo

1 Like

Just in case some of you don’t have access to vintage akai hardware but do have a laptop or desktop, here’s a cool little program to get that super gritty timestretch vibe… It’s free too…

5 Likes

Cool, I thought it no longer existed!

It’s funny how that was considered a limitation or perhaps a flaw of those earlier samplers, but now we seek it out. I really like the older dnb sound – a lot of stuff I hear these days made by successful artists is too clean and polished. I like the dirty and raw sounds!

I’ve been meaning to record some breaks onto cassette and then resample that. It obviously won’t add the time stretching stuff like the Akaizer, but I think it might work for making stuff sound dirty.

1 Like

Will dl this tonight! Thanks for posting this.

Oooh damn. Hell yes. Thank you.

I think it is a bit if both. All my breaks/amen samples are from really old packs

Loving this thread and inspired me to have a go!

I used to go regularly to Movement in Bar Rumba in the 00s if anyone from London remembers that?

OK not sure DnB is my or the op-z forte but here is the result of an hour or so messing around, and just muting different parts. (I think we used to call this type of beat hardstep)

Video here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChCtW0LgJCX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

6 Likes

Nice beat mate, I really had no idea the opz was so capable, obviously most of its down to you but I didn’t know it could sound like that…:+1:

1 Like

I’ll take the compliment! But seriously, I’ve heard some much more impressive things out the op-z by others.

OP-Z has a nifty sequencer, good for drum sequencing and generative melody, but the synth engines are quite weak in my opinion. They each have a sweet spot but tend towards cutesy and gentle sounds and can’t be pushed hard, as you might want for some genres. You can sample your own synths though which makes a big difference, and the new line module opens the unit up for external fx processing or pulling in other synths.

I should add that weird glitchy pad that starts the track and the arpeggio that builds comes from a 1010music lemondrop.

1 Like

wooo! this was a killer set!

2 Likes

Here’s another one for the Junglist!
Octatrack + Digitone

12 Likes

New beat, totally on the mellow tip this time, just jammed out and recorded in Aum on the iPad… have a great weekend

6 Likes

That bass tho…

1 Like

Thanks man :pray: