Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Gotta say, all, the choice samples made for an easier path than usual.

Also, every beat thats been presented so far is hella dope! Very impressive so far!

4 Likes

Habius Corpus, you feel me? Seriously this is going on my phone

1 Like

One of us had to go ultra low quality:). All of your tracks have been great.

14 Likes

Dooope! Can you tell us more about the samples/gear used?

1 Like

Thanks, man. I used little bits from about 11 of the sources to some degree. All the drums originate from @LyingDalai material, chopped and filtered (possibly a synthesized conga faintly mixed in).

Originally, I had planned on using the Octatrack, but I stuck the samples on my iPad and started messing around while I was ‘working’, and just ended up leaving it. All done with Drambo, then recorded straight to the Bluetooth channel on my Model 24😅

6 Likes

Blue Flowers…This brings back memories.
Great nasty on this one !

1 Like

Awesome! Nice work. Kool Keith is one of my favorites. I’m also interested to hear what samples you used and more info about the production.

EDIT: just saw that you posted that. Thanks! Amazing that you were able to get so many samples in!

(I did a version of Blue Flowers for a beat battle last year as well. It’s called “Water the Plants” on my SoundCloud if you are interested in checking it out.)

1 Like

@Unifono Dope track! You definitely caputured “The Firm” vibe with the piano and strings, so Nas was a good choice for this one! Killer.

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have listened to all the beats that have been posted so far and will post comments about all the submissions once they are all in. But I just wanted to say that everything I’ve heard so far has been pretty outstanding. I’ve had to go back to the drawing board about 6 times for my own tune as these beats have come in. Just the drive to not embarrass myself has propelled me to make better stuff. I love what friendly competition can do for the creative process. Keep up the good work.

8 Likes

That gels so well!

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a listen.

1 Like

Nice - some real shadow-esque moments in there

@Kpucski - that really fried my head! That song is so burned in my mind, to hear it totally flipped like that was really enjoyably disorientating!

I’ve been getting some late nights trying to get my entry finished - I’m shattered…quality is so high!

2 Likes

Here is my submission:

It is all done on the Digitakt. I sequenced the initial beat and then played/sampled the bass lines into the DT over the pattern. I can’t remember the samples I used offhand (except the Kool and the Gang break) but I will edit and include later when i have a chance. It was a basic recording of Digitakt stereo outputs—>IGS S Type compressor—>The Dust ColIector Tape Saturation circuit and then Mastered with MJUC compressor plugin. I couldn’t resist including the head fake intro. It’s a total misdirect from the actual beat but I like the way they flowed into each other. I can’t wait to hear the rest of the work you folks do.

Edit: The main sample is Unifono’s contribution: Peter Shade - Debbie’s Daydream. Such a great piece.

14 Likes

@new_drugs Very, very nice :ok_hand:

The boom bap is strong on elektronauts :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Damn. I will have to back out on this one, no time for music making.

The good news is our new windows and doors just arrived :door:🪟

I’ll be back.

2 Likes

here’s my amateur submission :see_no_evil: first beat I’ve ever put out there… grateful for all those who started this challenge and for the welcoming atmosphere here :pray:t4:

samples used (no external sounds)

Snare/hats and drum fills all come from @LyingDalai’s generous Nate Smith sample. Main piano chops come from @bpgrand89’s Disasterpeace (really a gold mine, this one is!). Kick from @spazzickagent :joy:. Bass riffs are pitched down chops of @Unifono’s submission by Peter Shade - also the namesake of my track, these were real nice, so thank you! Last but not least, the intro comes from @DimensionsTomorrow’s sample, love the laughter in the back there!

process & gear

Everything started with the Blackbox, the only sampler I have right now. I’m pretty green to it, so it was a huge learning experience. I started sampling off my phone trying out different submissions. At first I went for some more ambitious samples (Bi Zamani and Carrie Lucas) before realizing my experience and tastes were telling me to lean into a more minimal, lo-fi sound.

I found the samples I liked and made some basic sequences, building the main beat from the Nate Smith solo. Then I had a moment of struggle where I could not figure out how to tie everything together. I also recorded the sequences on an off-beat in the Blackbox (forgot to pay attention to the metronome) but this was easier to fix than expected.

I tried out song mode but decided that the Blackbox’s flexible clip launching would serve me better. I hooked up the Blackbox to the Bluebox and recorded the take (pre-fader) into it’s blue brother. Next, I added EQ and FX from the Bluebox and sent the outputs into the SiX while moving some filters and recorded the stereo file to my H2N. Last step was some minimal EQ in Wavelab. And then a last last step to download iZotope’s Vinyl vst and add some wear and dust. I think this really helped tie the sound together.

Thoughts: grateful for this learning experience! I wanted to add more variations and samples but it was a struggle enough to make this happen as it did. :smile:

20 Likes

Here’s my messy attempt :

In the beginning, i tried to do the track with my Model:Samples, but as the first beats dropped with the addition of Vocals, i couldn’t resist to dig in my old stock of Accapellas.
But having no DT, RYTM or OT, it would have been a pain with the M:S only.

So, i went full Ableton.
The main samples used for most of my track are:

-@Kuro Piya Tu Ab To Aaja
-@drrumble Kool and the gang

The "B sections " uses :

-@LyingDalai Nate Smith Drum skit
-@dimensionsTomorrow HARETON SALVANINI-Prelúdio em Si bemol menor
-@Woops Bernard Purdie’s shuffle…and laugh
-@Jamesstiff Pot Au Feu BBC Radiophonic Workshop

All of these were also used for one shots.
I’ve just added The Beastie Boys Accapella (…obviously) and some Gongs and Frame Drums here and there, but apart from that, all was done using the proposed tracks only.

I’m well aware that the sound quality is all over the place :
I usually suck at mixing and all that.
So, there’s no fancy Pre or post process, except some basic and faulty EQ and compression that ruined the quality even more !

But hey, i don’t give a frakk because i had so much fun doing this Remix.
It’s been a long time since the last time i’ve played with samples this way,
and i’ve missed that !

The entries i’ve heard before working on my track really pushed me to be playful…
…And like i said, it’s so nice that “Old School” Hip Hop still resonate with People.

Ok, so now i’m free to listen more and comment !

17 Likes

Amazing, many flips in the same beat, that’s serious man! You are on my top 3 :wink:

1 Like

Aight here;s mine!
I used

Michael Manring - Selene

^got damn! I (almost) hated to put effects on top of that performance

HARETON SALVANINI - Prelúdio em Si bemol menor

^spooky

Gladys Knight & The Pips All I Need Is Time

^for the backbone of the track

I’m really love everyone’s work on this! As for the arrangement - all ableton. I wanted to put the samples in the Rytm and rearrange them but I dont think I would have time by the deadline!

19 Likes