Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

totally :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Sleepyhead haha yeah, no problem ! It was merely a suggestion for future battles.

1 Like

Hyper Light Drifter is quite an experience and can get pretty hard.
The music is as important as the gameplay, the story or the artwork.
It can be appreciated on it’s own of course, but hearing it while playing the game is what makes HLD so memorable.

2 Likes

Indeed.
I guess that these battles will evolve with different twists or thematics.
We just have to start somewhere.

1 Like

I’m deliberately avoiding listening to most of the sample choices or I’ll end up making a dozen beats and not being able to choose which one to submit haha

4 Likes

Here is my sample source:

6 Likes

I am looking for little bits from each sample to put into 1 beat :laughing:

7 Likes

Was thinking of this too. Combining different sources is always a challenge, but could lead to something more unique.

But let’s see. Maybe I end up looping one little section :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I planned it too ! I uploaded all entries* up to @LyingDalai’s a few days ago, but I think I’ll stick to that, I didn’t upload new entries, I think that’s already tough !

Videos converted to wav on smartphone, copied to Octatrack. Dawless! :pl:
Already used 7 different sources.

*(Exception with @selfup, couldn’t read in my country for copyrights reason, and @J3RK long to extract)

4 Likes

Haha fair play :slightly_smiling_face:, I’ve used elements from three of them

1 Like

I want to use this opportunity to get busy on the OT again.

I have been neglecting all gear and music making for a few months already.

We are 6 weeks in Greece now and I took the OT with me with a new printed copy of the manual, … will unpack it all tomorrow and get the samples on there and see what I can get done in the coming days.

Was thinking to sample the bits and pieces I want from each sample straight from YT into the OT but maybe just moving the wavs over to the card is a better - less lazy - way … :blush:

I will use all the songs but we are talking micro sampling here, it will not be obvious and will probably suck but for me this one is about getting into it again.
:v:

2 Likes

Yep. If you want ro use OT only, original files are RAM consuming in Flex, even after cropping previous ones. So I tried diffently with Statics (not fully editable), used TRIM and resampled a Static track playing trimmed part. Eventually possible to record sample chains with Slices.

2 Likes

That was exactly my plan! Just have to do it all over again for the first time in a while . I know I will be smiling again after a few tiny frustrations, been there :smiley:

1 Like

Also had this issue but NordVPN helped me out here again, can send you a link in PM tomorrow if you want the wav.

1 Like

:smiley: That’s a ten hour loop. I was thinking people might just sample a short loop.

2 Likes

Yes, but I was with smartphone only, converting youtube videos to wav on a site. 10 hours ! :scream: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh that’s a bummer… I didn’t even realize something like that would happen. Ugh

1 Like

This is a great idea. For those that aren’t aware the community on www.reddit.com/r/makinghiphop does a cool challenge called the “One Kit Contest.” The previous winner chooses a collection of sounds, and everyone in the contest is limited to only those sounds in making their submission. The winner makes a sample pack for the next week and on it goes.

Does the polyend tracker basically count as honorary elektron gear?

1 Like

Talking about gear : at the moment, my only hardware sampler is the Model:Samples and at first, i was thinking of using Ableton to manipulate the samples, but now i wonder if we’re supposed to keep it dawless ?

That’s ok with me either way, i can use the M:S to make the beat, i just need to consider the workflow.