Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

I thought I would be able to participate (even with just my PO33), but I have to deal with some rough shit going on in my life right now… Might not be able to gather enough mental space and energy to submit something for this one, sorry guys. Hope I’ll be up and running for the next ones. Meanwhile, can’t wait to hear what you guys will cook.

14 Likes

Take care, man. Been there myself the past couple of years. Hoping it all works out for you.

2 Likes

You’ll kick our asses next time…
Force à toi pour ce que tu traverses.

4 Likes

I wish you all the best man! Take care, and thanks for suggesting this battle in the first place. I hope you’ll be there to kick our asses next time.

2 Likes

Take care !

1 Like

this track slaps. i’m interested in hearing more about your production. the drums are so loose… did you program them, or is it a loop/sample?

1 Like

Thanks, man. I did this track in Logic, but my workflow for this kind of beat is similar to how I used to work on the MPC back in the day.

I played in the kick and snare live to get a groove going and then tried out various sample chops over it to see what I liked. I originally intended those drums to just be a scratch drum track, but they ended up fitting well so I kept them. Once I developed the song more, I went back and added the cymbals and a couple of little fills/changes to accent certain points in the song, like when the vocals drop out.

The drums are a kit from Addictive Drums 2 (my favorite drum program) and I processed them with RX950 plugin (an Akai S950 model someone mentioned on the board a long time ago) and Soundtoys Little Radiator. I also made them mono and added a little bit of Valhalla delay (bit of a nod to the Digitakt).

I did all the sample chops in Serato Sample. It basically lets me do an MPC-style workflow, but is so much easier to work with. I actually threw like 10 of the sample submissions into Serato, found a tempo I liked and a key that worked for most of them (C minor) and then just started experimenting. I came up with the main 8-bar pattern on Saturday and then tried out some different vocals over it until I settled on the DOOM track and then did the basic arrangement.

On Sunday I made a bunch of different variations of the main sample pattern to keep it interesting and avoid clashing with the vocals. I also chopped the vocals to add some breaks in the song, etc. After that I did a quick mix/master. I normally would have worked on that a bit more, but I ran out of time as I wanted to get it done before the start of the week, so I just went with it.

11 Likes

@DimensionsTomorrow Super dope. I’m so glad that you included the vocal because I’m not sure I would have fully appreciated this. It feels like it’s three tempos at once. Every couplet seems off balance. And it’s kind of perfect. I think I would have just heard a cool but very slow beat otherwise.

@rockpapergoat Also dope. I like the little wobble in the samples. It ties everything together. And like Sleepyhead was saying, it’s such a different take on the same sample. You chose great bits and tied them all together nicely. Good drum work too.

I’m going to post mine a little later.

3 Likes

I decided to also use an acapella. I went with Bounty Killer. Going for a white label remix kind of vibe.

The bits I used are at the end. I used that “Irene” one that Sleepyhead posted. I used the Kool and the Gang break and those Bernard Purdie drums. And I also used a tiny clip from the end of that Celia Vaz track that garfield posted.

So yeah…

28 Likes

This one is super dope! I like the fact you played the samples at the end.

The way you chop and sequence samples on the DT is very similar to my workflow on the DT/AR, and I gotta say: great job at fitting the different samples together and making it sound this finished and polished. Your sample chops are very original as well, I wouldn’t have recognized them without you playing them at the end.

2 Likes

Very nice… where are you triggering the vocal from?

1 Like

@Doug Thanks very much and super dope track. Great 90s underground vibe.

Really nice job getting all the different samples to gel. Seamless. Nice work!

1 Like

Here is my beat ! Made on the digitakt, stereo out recorded on Reaper and acapella from Large Professor added. Only plugin used : JS plug Master Limiter.

Drums and bass are Goldbaby samples as usual for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I took samples from :
@Sleepyhead Irène
@Kuro Piya tu ab To aaAJA
@NeonMelk Bolero on the Moon Rocks
@the_PMO Pourirya Raisi - Bi Zamani

Congratulations to @Doug @rockpapergoat @DimensionsTomorrow Your beats Bangs :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: !

17 Likes

very nice! this one flows well. thanks also for showing how the pieces fit together at the end. the DT totally glues everything together. this gets the extra dope stamp.

2 Likes

classic style! good work, man. this track sounds like it was meant to be. you made great use of the source samples.

also, let me say right now that this community is awesome. i have no doubt this thread will produce some absolute bangers. it’s going to be hard to pick a winner. anyone posting up in here is a winner in my book. props for putting yourself out there.

5 Likes

All great work, loving the flips so far :slightly_smiling_face:
Although to be honest I would rather just hear the beats without an acapella but maybe I’m in the minority there

1 Like

Damn, thats a banger! I love the buildup and the subtle changes in the beat, it really does sound like an ‘official’ instrumental for a rap song, it’s great its made from all these different samples. Also, props for leaving room in the mix for the vocals.

As @rockpapergoat said, the quality of beats so far (as well as the samples everyone posted btw) is really great. I’m already having trouble deciding my top 3 out of the 5 beats posted haha. I finished my beat this weekend, but the competition inspired me to try to make something better… i’ll decide which one to submit tomorrow.

4 Likes

Awesome guys! Really impressed.

@drrumble
Amazing beat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes i understand what u mean, but i think for a hiphop beat, it’s important to let enough space for the vocals and it’s great to hear how it sound with a rapper. This is my personnal opinion and i Like to listen beats only too :wink:

4 Likes

Damn, everybody is killing it so far, there’s a lot of talent hanging out around here!

My official submission….

Main samples come courtesy of @echo_opera’s supplied track - ‘Niyaz’ by Fereydoon Foroughi.
Everything was sampled directly into tracker, and the audio is the direct wav tossed from tracker to a garbage video editor on iPhone, then to youtube.
Drums - a few one shots + some chops from a random drum loop that was floating around in an old project folder. Not sure of their origin :man_shrugging:.
Mellotron sound - I sampled a single note from the mellowSound app into tracker and worked it from there.
The other ‘synth’ sounds - the trackers wavetable functions took care of this work.
The intro and mid-break were inspired by @woops ‘purdy shuffle’ suggestion… though I didn’t actually sample it, just felt the groove too well to not add a weird beat shift into triplets land.
Ummmmmm I think that covers it, please do enjoy!

17 Likes