Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

Wow wow weeee…some great tracks in here. Amazing work so far everyone!

3 Likes

good work, man! the kick rimshot combo feels right here. that sample is pretty sick. i almost used it, too. watching the tracker scroll is mesmerizing me. that’s probably how they get some small percentage of sales.

1 Like

Love that lofi vibe, well done!

1 Like

Dope! I already listened when you posted it to the tracker thread :wink:

I like the way you play with the shuffle feel, and the overall vibe reminds me a bit of old jedi mind tricks‘ tracks!

1 Like

So I made this a couple days ago but was inspired to add an acapella after @DimensionsTomorrow posted his so I went back and found one that worked. At least as best as I could make it happen

I had intended to use a sample from each submission from everybody. With the window to submit being so long, I was worried about finding the time to finish so I recorded a bunch of options to get going!

I managed to use 10 different samples in the end. They were from the group of the first 15-ish submitted. I utilized the submitted break for the drums. The bassline came from the string piece. Vocal hits from the bollywood? tune. I can’t remember where the rest are from but they all ended up being turned into various one hits and a pad. I’ll have to document the next one better I guess.

Oh, and all done on the MV8800 tracked to a Tascam DP

26 Likes

This is a big challenge to use all that samples! Your beat is insane, and the acapella fits perfect! This is absolute fire!

2 Likes

@TheGhostCat like Sleepyhead, I checked this out in the other thread. The beat is dope as hell. For whatever reason, I have it in my head that this should be given to an up and coming rapper to use in something that has a video for it.

@drrumble Very dope. I really liked how you worked in those bits from the other samples. Everything fits together really well and the beat is well sequenced around the vocals.

2 Likes

@the_PMO Crazy. I don’t know if it’s just that the way you did the string baseline reminds me of the strings on Catch a Bad One, but the whole thing even apart from the vocal gives me early Hiero vibes. Great stuff.

2 Likes

It’s all in the DT itself.

1 Like

That’s the real deal - we’ll done…

1 Like

What i love the most about all these submissions, is the “real” hip-hop vibe they have.
…at least to me.
I’m kind of an “old” dude, so i may say dumb things…
Well i’m not that old.

But i’m dumb for sure.

5 Likes

So you chopped it into parts - that is dedication, nice work.

1 Like

damn, dude. this is good stuff. chops on chops over here.

2 Likes

This is the winner for me right here.

2 Likes

Amazing work, love this

1 Like

Damnnn… This one is dope af. The vibe also fits the acapella perfectly. Picking a favorite just got even harder.

I agree with @NeonMelk, I’m an oldschool type boombap guy, and I know a few others here from the hiphop made on elektron gear/digitakt threads, but I really didn’t expect so many people here to be so obviously skilled in making hiphop beats in the tradition of the genres greats… you guys should post stuff here more often! I expected a lot of submissions to sound more like the music you usually hear on elektron gear (techno, more electronic/experimental influences) but the tracks so far show obvious experience with some old school sample digging and chopping!

8 Likes

This is amazing.
Congrats!!

2 Likes

@the_PMO

Glad I inspired you to use that hiero track, because it came out great! Super old school, raw hip hop vibe. Great chops. Love it. Also, props for the MV-8800! That’s a beast of a machine. I remember back in the day all the heated debates online about the MV versus the MPC4000. Good to know it is still producing bangers!

2 Likes

@drrumble Dope track! I really like your choice of samples and great bounce to your track. Great job keeping it fresh throughout the whole song.

@TheGhostCat You definitely set the bar when you dropped first. Killer video that really matches the lofi vibe of the tune. I really like the tempo change ups. Very original vibe.

@rockpapergoat I mentioned it on your SoundCloud, but there is a great breezy summer vibe to this track, which immediately makes me think of the Avalanches. Great work.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.

There’s only 6 tracks here and very good quality beats already. I think we’ll have a lot of good surprises in the next 3 days. It will be hard to choose a winner…

2 Likes