Eowave Quandrantid Swarm

Murder hornet yellow!

I made up the murder hornet part.
They’re yellow

4 Likes

Goodafternoon everybody,

I’ve just recieved my QS this week and i’m trying my best to understand all connections of this amazing device.
I’m sorry if some of my questions are a bit noobish but i’m just trying to understand.
Thanx in advance for all your patience, answers and replies.

1 - Mod in (next to spread): Is this a Mod in ‘just’ for spread or does it affect character and perc also?

2 - The Triangle & Square LFO out (right top): Are these ‘just’ connected to LFO speed or are they also connected to shape or slew?

3 - Midi sync function: Why do you have a choice to switch it on/off? ‘Always on’ sounds more logical to me as you decide at your clock source device to send out/not to send out a Midi clocksync signal. Or am i wrong?

4 - When triggering notes from an external keyboard with the QS in mono-mode what do the 8 steps on the QS control/do when also the QS sequencer is running? Do the pitches add up?

5 - What is the function of character in poly mode? It sounds like a weird kind of modulator.

Anybody else have issues tuning this thing? When sequencing externally (CV/gate) I can’t get it to be in tune over a large range eg I tune to C3 but C6 is then way off (C#6)

Can someone confirm whether the desktop version comes with a trs to MIDI cable?

Mine did.

Thanks.

This is the most slippery piece of gear I ever owned. I don’t understand why they didn’t improve it by simply adding sticky pads underneath. Gotta sort out myself some blu tack or other adhesive foam pads.

2 Likes

Did you get a response from Eowave. I just got one from Juno in the UK and the pads infrequently respond when i press them to turn on or off steps.

I mailed them, but unfortunately never heard back from them. I kinda accepted it for what it is. From what I heard from others and the retailer “it is what it is”. I have found that using any finger other than my index fingers greatly diminishes the problem. Sometimes pinkies works best haha.

At what temperature are you operating the swarm? The only time that the pads got really crazy was when I just hooked it up at a venue where it was 2 degrees Celsius.

But perhaps you could also send eowave a message and report back here if you do get a response :slight_smile: its kind of a shame that such a awesome module is a litlle tainted by its build quality :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I’m struggling to sync the sequencer of my QS to MIDI clock (coming from Digitakt).

I have the DT sending clock.

MIDI is working because I can play the QS from the DT’s sequencer.

I’m not sure how to turn sync on (pressing shift + 8 just selects noice osc, no?).

Do I need to patch CLK OUT to CLK?

I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

Hold shift whilst powering on, then press 8, then press start.

This should activate the midi clock.

3 Likes

Ah ha! That works. Thank you!

1 Like

No worries.

Don’t forget that the clock knob now works as a clock divider if the QS is being midi clocked externally.

Great for clocking any other gear you have.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just trying to work out the divisions. I suspect there are some odd ones in there.

Hmm funny that you say that, because I constantly find myself wishing that the clock-out would output the undivided MIDI clock. haha

Yeah, it’s difficult to get it right, I think mine had the undivided clock at about 1o’clock on the knob.

1 Like

@Bcharlie @PurpleWizard Re the unresponsive pads - I don’t own one but have used lots of gear with touch pads before - are they shiny or matt in finish? If matt you could try clearcoat or clear tape over them, capacitive touchplates that are not coated tend to have a worse response than those that are. Might be worth a try, I’d certainly try the tape, easy to remove if no improvement.

3 Likes

I appreciate the responses. @PurpleWizard. The Swarm sounds excellent, but the build quality does seem questionable. I have asked Eowave directly about the problem with the pads and will share their response here. Do you have a link to some information of the use of clearcoat or clear tape to improve capacitive touch plates. So I could try it out. All I can find when I google ‘clearcoat’ are sprays to protect car body work. :rofl:

@Fin25 yeah you can set it to undivided :slight_smile: but what I mean is that I would have liked it if the clock out would have used the undivided clock signal instead of the divided one. It’s great that you can divide the clock-source for the swarm itself, since I almost never want to have it run at the same speed as the midi clock, but it doesn’t happen very often that I want to run something else further up my chain at that same divided rate.

@darenager hmm :thinking: yeah would have called the finish matt. I appreciate the tip :pray:. I’m not familiar with clearcoat spray/tape though, any pointers?

1 Like