Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

I actually had a much nicer kit for this next example, but I must’ve hit Load Kit instead of Save Kit and I lost it! Arg. This is one thing that I much prefer about the Model:Samples - everything just auto saves as long as you shut down properly. With the LXR-02 you constantly have to keep saving your kits, patterns and projects.

11 Likes

It definitely would benefit from a ‘quick save’ button combo. There are times when i’m sure I’ve save kit & pattern, but maybe not project and I have lost the changes after switching on/off :angry:

On the flip side though, once you have a pattern that is done, it’s almost impossible to accidentally mess it up :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m Kicking off NYE with this session i’ve just done.
LXR-02 + TR8S + Digitakt = :loud_sound: TECHNO :loud_sound:

4 Likes

Sweet! I’ve recently been thinking of the TR-8S. Now that I’ve grown fond of having volume sliders on a drum machine, it really appeals to me.

1 Like

I can really wholeheartedly recommend the TR-8S, as would a lot other people too I guess. The 24 knobs & 8 sliders make it great for performance. Great immediate fun for all the family, my kids love the colours haha :smiley:

4 Likes

11 sliders ! :yum:

1 Like

My next goal was to create synth sounds with the LXR. Here I’ve multitracked 4 parts from the LXR (drums, bass, chord and lead synth).

9 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve forgot basic math haha, and it’s 33 knobs, not 24 :man_facepalming:t2:. I’ll get my coat :joy:

I seriously cannot get enough of this combo, LXR-02 into Data Bender! Wham Boom Bip Blast Bang…

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SunFalls (@sunfallsmusic)

2 Likes

This morning’s experiment. I used one of the first 3 Drum synths for the snare instead of track 4.

3 Likes

1st premier from me, ooooh! VIP’s right this way…
Erm, yeah. I probably wont make it either cos I’ll be feeding the kids there dinner and getting them to bed. :laughing:

10 Likes

I’ve been interested in a dedicated drum machine for a while but haven’t found one that suits me yet. I’ve got an MPC Live and enjoy the drum synth on it for quickly grabbing a sound but don’t really like it for sound design. The UI is a nuisance and some of the parameters seem cryptic at times.

I looked into the tr-6s but it seems like it might be too “vanilla” sounding. I cover most traditional drum sounds with samples or the MPC drum synth. The LXR is appealing because it seems to have far more options for sound design and they’re clearly laid out on the interface. I also would like to have an xox sequencer in my setup again. I could see myself creating my own drum sounds/sequences and sampling them into my Sp-404 or MPC. However, I don’t make industrial music or hard techno. I actually only occasionally dip my toe in the techno realm.

Is the LXR too wild for my needs? I’m on the fence about it as it looks like a lot of fun to play with, I’m just afraid the sounds I’d get from it would be too “out there” for my music. For context I primarily make hip hop, and electronic music.

1 Like

You can probably best decide that for yourself by listening carefully to the demos. It fits electronic music very well and regarding hiphop you can check the 808/909 sounds posted by J3RK earlier in this thread and see if they fit your style. It spans from “out there” to very clean and classic drum sounds. Great machine really and a lot of fun yes :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks!

@Ott-Otosan
I would say it’s capable of doing just about anything. It won’t fully replace a vintage-style TR-X0X (or modern digital counterpart, or analog clones) but it can come close enough with a bit of patience. It really excels at doing something new and different.

While many of the demos you’ll see go into the crunchy aggressive territory, it by no means leans toward that. The option is there if you want it, but it’s just as easy to do clean percussion, experimental stuff, and cool FM things if you want. I’d say it’s like a slightly simpler, slightly cut back Machine Drum if you want to compare it to something that exists.

I would classify it as something to supplement existing drum tools in your studio, but can also be used on its own, rather than something that covers everything easily. What it does give you is plenty for a huge variety of synth drums though.

It takes a little bit of effort to make “big” sounding drums, but not too much. You just have to use the tools that it provides to do so. It’s more than capable, but I do find it leans more toward making interesting synth percussion that isn’t necessarily big and booming. (even though it can boom) If that makes any sense at all :smiley: It can do TR-X0X kicks just fine as one example, provided you get the pitch envelope right. (it has a ton of options for slope, timing, etc.)

It can also get into that Glitchy (but still clean) territory, it can get nasty as well, and can do pretty basic synth stuff on top of that. I made a chip tune loop on mine the other night for example.

Stimming’s review shows a decent range of what it can do IMO. There are a few others out there too that don’t get entirely insane on it. :wink:

Phurniture and Kryten’s tracks above show a good range too.

5 Likes

Thanks @Soarer and @J3RK. I really appreciate your replies. The audio examples from this thread have been helpful. I also appreciated Stimming’s review as it provided a slightly different take than other reviews I had seen.

I’ve definitely heard some things I like out of LXR and it looks like a fun device. I’ve just also heard plenty of over the top examples too. At this point though I think I’ll order it and give it a try. I can always return it if I don’t gel with its sound!

1 Like

Hello. Just got an LXR02 and realised the shuffle values on LXR02 are from 0-127 for midi.

Is there any way of showing this value as a percentage so it can be matched to my other gear exactly. There’s a bit of guess work going on at the moment. Even a chart to show the value would suffice for now. If my Digitakt is on 54% shuffle what would be the equivalent? Many thanks

Short answer, no.

I did a quick test with Digitak & LXR-02, by my estimation a 1% increase on swing on the Digitakt is equal to 3 or 4 shuffle increase on the LXR-02, so 54% i’d set the shuffle value between 12 - 16 on the LXR-02.

I did the test just using my ears, playing both machines for a bar with very short hi hats on every 16th at the same time. You might be able to get a more accurate calculation if you record the audio into a DAW and compare the waveforms.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Posted this in the Jamuary '22 thread, but since all my other LXR-02 sessions are here, didn’t want to leave this little fella out :slight_smile:

Is there a way to change kit with midi ?

I don’t think so, I’ve never had the need to try tbh and I can’t see anything in the manual. Extensive Midi CC is detailed from page 35 onwards:

1 Like