Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

I don’t know, it might be just a matter of size and price, but I thought the Perkons would be a better match for a comparison

Beyond the fact they’re made by the same company, the LXR-02 and Perkons share very little in sound generation heritage or performance / programming ergonomics.

2 Likes

Absolutely :+1:

I don’t really know to be honest. I know the LXR was already a Sonic Potions machine way before ES got hold of it and pimped it, so don’t think it’s really of ES heritage, sound-wise.

3 Likes

I’m kind of bummed since I was planning to use it for live performances, but the current firmware is way too buggy when receiving external midi clock. Luckily, v1.3 runs stable when clocked externally via midi, so at least I can jam and maybe risk it for a live set.

There is also a bug when saving a morphed kit as a new preset. When doing so, the resulting kit does not sound like the one that I was wishing to save. In addition to that, the channel output configuration switches to mono, so you get a sudden dropout on the left stereo channel. Follow the procedure (p. 22 - user manual).

I have opened a few tickets in order to report all these issues. Maybe you can report them as well so that they work on the fixes :slight_smile: let’s hope for FW v1.5 anytime soon!

3 Likes

Downgrading to v1.3 did the job for me, still quite sad about it… ;___;

1 Like

I think the LXR-02 is one of the best drum machines for electro and techno. However I find myself occasionally working on tunes that are in a more mellow, funky, deep house vibe.

Is anyone else working in a similar style and has managed to get the LXR to groove in this type of genre? I find that even with different swing settings and velocity programming I just can’t get it to feel the way I want. I know that it’s probably more about the user than the machine, but still.

2 Likes

I found recently on some forum two presets that emulate the 808 and 909 sounds, so I’d say that it is definitely possible, just a matter of practice to get experienced with the machine.

If Erica Synths fixes all the bugs that currently annoy me, I’ll give it a 10/10.

1 Like

no my friend, it is definitely not you! Could you report it with ES customer support? <3

1 Like

Thinking about getting the LXR-02, just have a question in my mind:
What can the LXR-02 do that the TR-6s can’t(apart from more outputs of course)?
Thannks!

You can use play it chromatically via midi, and you can use the lfos from all tracks to destinations of other tracks.

1 Like

I don’t have a TR-6s(or any Roland gear) but I would say they are really different beasts looking at the spec’s. Thats not to say the TR-6s isn’t a great and versatile drum machine, but it seems more built on ACB tones for machines vs more general(but per drum type targeted) LXR-02 synth style. Meaning I would think it’s easier to get a lead or bass sound from the LXR-02 on any voice vs maybe only being able to use the FM engine on the TR-6s.

One area the TR-6s beats the LXR-02 is the ability to load samples. the original LXR had this and it seems like parts of it are in the firmware for the LXR-02 but you can not access this(there is modded firmware for the LXR that allows you to load a sample instead of a waveform for OSC1). This would be a great addition to the LXR-02 but based off the firmware problems and general stability I doubt it(I am still waiting for the converter for my old patterns I made pre 1.2 that never came out…)

As usual I think it just come down to your ears… what sounds better/feels better for you. They are both very powerful machines and would play together nicely if you are rich lol!

1 Like

So I got the DR-2 and am just learning to use it. In terms of comparisons with the LXR-02, I’d say it was fairly similar in sonic palette, but they both have their own sound. LXR is harsher in character and perhaps immediately a little louder and in your face. The DR is smoother in general, but they can both swap the harsh / smooth roles quite easily. The DR can produce more pleasing sounds (to me), much more easily, and the parameters ranges seem more usable - the DR is considerably easier to use in terms of UI, it really is no competition. Switching between sound types and kits and saving is much easier. The LXR UI just drove me up the wall. The DR menu diving is minimal with almost every function available via dedicated control or with the addition of the shift function. It’s quite intuitive and easy to get the hang of after a few sessions. Final observations are that the DR connectivity is much better and it’s a much more stable machine, firmware-wise.
I’m still learning the sound design of the DR so will update once more familiar.
The obvious difference is that DR is triple the price of LXR - if you’re not on a tight budget then I’d highly recommend the DR.

4 Likes

Interface looks clunky and a pain to work with compared to Elektron workflow.

anyone have the lxr-02 and a syntakt?

just ordered one with the newly announced sale and was wondering if there’s a reason(s) to keep the lxr-02 now that i have a syntakt arriving soon.

haven’t spent much time with the lxr-02 (still trying to get familiar with the octa mk2) but if you have both, is there a difference in the sound palette to warrant keeping both?
(or anything else worth mentioning)

i was thinking of using the lxr-02 to add extra sprinkles when all the syntakt tracks are full but then again syntakt has OB and i can record to audio in a daw and keep layering extra tracks that way so idk.
-that way might be more of a hassle tho than just adding the lxr and record it seperate. might keep my syntakt projects more organized as opposed to making new patterns to replace tracks.

just trying to find some reasons to hold onto my lxr-02.

1 Like

The LXR has some unique features like kit morph and euclidean sequencing, and more wide open sound design. i wouldn’t get rid of it. (i have both)

1 Like

It may be because when you save a morph kit, you revert to the morph settings that resulted in the kit, but with a new kit. If you dial that to zero, you should have the kit you’re looking for.

hey HoojerBob, thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, the issue that I encountered is not related to what you described.

I have two kits that I want to morph. Whenever I save the morphed result and then load it back, the audio output settings get set to mono ®, even though both kits are stereo. This leads to a sudden audio dropout on one channel when I load the kit, independently of the morph settings.

This seems to happen after I rearranged the kits manually on my computer.

Me neither! The only thing that I might not do, is to take it out for a performance, at least until they fix the nasty bugs.

Does anyone have favourite setting for analog drum machine sounding hihats (think 606/808)? There’s so many potential combinations of oscillator waveform and tuning combinations with the waveform, pitch and level of the 2 FM oscillators that it can be hard to find that sweet spot.