Erica Synths SYNTRX

Ach what the hell! I just ordered one, at Thomann Germany actually. Come cheaper, faster and there’s a 30 days window to decide if I glue with it. Totally unreasonable purchase but it seems such a special instrument, and the scarcity made me more attractive to be honnest.

For UK people, Thomann first opened in the UK shop for me and it said it’s immediately available there.

4 Likes

How’s your exploration going? I’m curious about the range of that instrument. Noisy I am aware of, I wonder what other sorts of alien or dreamy or rythmical things it is capable of.

I think it will take longer than 30 days to decide though. Its very deep and complex and the ideas how to use it wont be immediate. But i do think you will have a blast whatever

2 Likes

Juno only give me 14 days. I’m in a minor panic about it. Excited, embarrassed at the extravagance, curious… I can’t work out if it’s worth the money… If I spent the same on eurorack, would I have more options, or be more frustrated? Or Lyra + Strega + some pedals? What about a nice mixer and FX, and some cactuses for my room? But the matrix and the patchable reverb keep calling me…

Its has fantastic legacy heritage. Take courage in the fact that if it was a piece of junk it would have disappeared a long time ago. Its going to be around a long time after most gear too. Future proof.

I think your will have to decide what direction your music will go.

Introduced in Sept 2019, discontinued in late 2021?

Aww cmon , the Putney has been around nearly 50 years in some way.

2 Likes

It took me less than a day to confirm that the Syntrx easily replaces > $3k of Euro in a more compact size, with easier patching and patch recall. It took me close to a decade to realize that Euro wouldn’t take me where I want to go without spending as much money as I’m spending on my (very small yet oceangoing) sailboat.

Between Syntrx, Lyra, Desktop Virus and Blofeld I can’t think of much I’d like to do that necessitates Euro.

Next stop: Buchla / Serge! :grimacing:

4 Likes

:joy:

A sailboat with a Music Easel would be amazing.

3 Likes

One more, Deckards Dream? What a trio.:grinning:

2 Likes

Are they still doing the keyboard version. All i can see is the Command?

I’d bet at least $5 that replicating DD in Euro would require at least 12u of modules and a total outlay of 2-3x what Black Corp is asking.

In 2012, you needed Euro to get beyond basic east coast or Yamaha DX. Today you can buy a Volca Modular for < $250 and that’s just the beginning. It’s a completely different world. Euro played a huge role getting us here, but it is far less necessary in 2022 than in 2012. It is a ton of fun if you have the space and budget for it though.

I’m trying to remain as ignorant as possible about Buchla & Serge until I’ve got $10k earmarked for a new modular system. Before that, I need to solve the Mixer Problem, buy some more FX, move to a new state and buy some studio furniture.

1 Like

currently only the Command is available. for a while it was hard to get one too, as demand was quite high. they have so far introduced a new incarnation of the Easel, but it is not yet available.

1 Like
You aren't wrong, but...

Surfing a Moore 24 - YouTube

My boat is similar to this boat, but a little more chill. I’m told that the boat in the video lost it’s rig (the wind took the mast & sails down and capsized the boat) shortly after what is shown in the video.

Small, fast boats are very very wet. Even high quality 318 stainless has a limited lifetime near the water.

What I’d love to do is run a multi-channel field recorder with contact mics at interesting points around the hull to listen as turbulence develops and resolves into laminar flows as the boat accelerates into surfing mode.

1 Like

(sorry, I had to)

2 Likes

Serge anti whaling vessel

7 Likes

Heard, I don’t really know too much about all that, tbh.

1 Like

the Syntrx does quite a lot in that video actually. a “lead” line that comes in around 1 minute in. goes through some filtering via the joystick later. turns into a wall of noise towards the end.

I don’t understand the idea that you can only use the Syntrx for weird stuff. it’s like saying you can’t use a Prophet 5 to make weird stuff; leads, pads, and brass parts only. they’re synths, use them for whatever you like.

5 Likes

Its kinda like a wild beast that cant be tamed. But it can move large boulders for you on a good day if you feed it.

2 Likes

Syntrx is wonderful!

3 Likes