Erica Synths SYNTRX

Very possibly, I hope it will grow on me for years to come. Quality instruments tend to do that (like the DT, sub37, Nord Drum 3p and recently acquired OB6).

Not sure if that video is known, thatā€™s one of the most versatile I found, showing lots of great sound design from soft and dreamy to harsh and crazy.

2 Likes

Itā€™s fun to only use the first channel output and have the second channel be a moduation bus. Some really strange sounds are to be found that way. I really like how the third osc in lfo mode plus the s&h and the trapezoid can modulate each others and create all kinds of weird evolving movement.

Iā€™ve been wondering how difficult it would be to make the inputs dc-coupled, any ideas?

1 Like

Caught a really bad flu unfortunately so apart from the two videos I shared I havenā€™t been able to do much with it yet.

1 Like

Get better soon!

1 Like

Wish you a swift recovery!

2 Likes

you mean so that you could use them for CV? the Portabella does that:

would be very cool if you could send CV to the oscillators independently on the Syntrx, but I have no idea how difficult such a mod would be.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be great to have that option. Iā€™ve been planning to sequence the Syntrx with A4 and it would be nice to have CV in use too.

Seperate from the line ins, the SYNTRX has CV inputs for pitch tracking the first 2 osc and gate input.

1 Like

right! I totally forgot that it did! just had a look at the manual to remind me how they function.

I usually just sequence it via the Cirklon (midi) and have only briefly played around with the CV input, using an 0-Ctrl. I may have to pick up another SQ1 nowā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Indeed, but that CV is not in the matrix.

2 Likes

Ah ok, thats a bummer!

1 Like

I wonder: was there ever a firmware update for the Syntrx?

Lack of individual CV option is kinda disappointing as i have a Cirklon due(dont laugh). And it would be great to pair them together. Oh well limitations limitations limitations is the new doctrine apparently.:smirk_cat:

1 Like

After a week of Radiophonic noodlings, I finally connected the Keystep 37 with the Syntrx.

I thought it had a lot of sweetspots when I was only making self-playing patches. With a bass sequence running through it, even more sweet spots become apparent. And this thing has bass, does it ever have bass.

It can absolutely do acid too. Very little point in lusting after the devilfish B* 303 with this hefty dude on my desk.

7 Likes

I looked at it but it was way too expensive so I picked up a Roland TB03 and TR8 for less. Looks cool tho.

Can you get Syntrx to ā€œscreamā€ as much as a Devilfish?

1 Like

The filter and spring reverb will happily self oscillate. There are more explicit and implicit ways to setup feedback, so thatā€™s the basis of my claim that I donā€™t need a Devilfish clone.

Donā€™t expect the Syntrx to sound like a 303, or even a Synthi. Itā€™s a Syntrx!

(ā€œI donā€™t need a Devilfishā€ = ā€œIā€™ll probably get one when they start to sell cheap on Craigslistā€)

3 Likes

Gotcha.

So far, Iā€™ve found it too easy to tip the signal into being entirely square waves. The overdrive/feedback/distortion/crunch/scream sweet spot seems hair trigger narrow. Riding the line can be fun, but I definitely donā€™t feel in control of Syntrx yet. I imagine a Devilfish would be easier. Iā€™ve only tried with self-playing drones so far thoā€™, rather than chromatic notes.