Erica Synths SYNTRX

I get it. I’m just saying it’s a funny comment, because when it was first announced so manny commented “oooh it’s a Synthi clone!” when it’s nothing of the sort. then one of the first guys to get one goes “yes! I can recreate my AKS patches!”

I’m mean the circuits are different but the architecture and ui are pretty true aren’t they?

maybe my viewpoint is because I owned both a Macbeth M5 and an Arp 2600 at the same time. sure, they look similar and function similar, but they do NOT sound similar. nor were they supposed to, same as here.

1 Like

This poses an interesting question.
Do you care more about which sounds you make or how you end up making them?

1 Like

Good question.

Regarding the exact circuit design and components, I don’t care really.

The “how” does matter to me but in the sense of workflow and user interface rather than the “under the hood of the machine” stuff.

Same!

1 Like

This is how I feel about all the Erica synths gear I wanna get but just have 3 elektrons lol :joy: Need the techno system /
Bassline db01 desktop and the fusion drone system and this thing looks neat too ! Team Erica Synths # tuna the cat :cat2:

I think if we didn’t care about how we made the sounds, and only which sounds we made, we wouldn’t be on a site dedicated to use of a hardware manufacturer’s machines. especially one whose machines are widely lauded as being so fun and inspiring for tactile interaction.

So obvious! What am I thinking :crazy_face:

While true, I don’t think it keeps one from approaching synthesis in a certain way. I think the interface leads to the results, and while the more subtle nuances will be different, the TYPES of sounds can be similar. Obviously the Erica is not going to have the pin-matrix artifacts in the sound. Some of the components of the AKS are near extinct, etc. etc. However, it invites the same type of approach to sound creation that will bring about similar sorts of results. Maybe more modern, maybe a slightly different sound, but the toolbox is there to guide one down a similar path. The two machines do not need to be exactly the same to inspire in the same ways.

I don’t think anyone thinks that the Erica is an AKS. However, if I’m honest, I’d prefer to have the Erica. (I’m sure there are plenty of people that would go the other way. :smiley:

4 Likes

Anyone who’s interested, Hainbach is currently making an album that relies heavily on the Syntrx (as well as Chase Bliss Audio Blooper). Here’s the first episode of the making of series (kinda) of the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF7lL7Jy8tk

5 Likes

I’m interested in just about anything Hainbach does. Still need to revisit his Zoia patches.

I came here to post the same notice. His latest videos (including the virtual Superbooth streams) where he showcased the SNYTRX spiked my interest in this machine again.

3 Likes

a new overview from hainback

Welp, I decided to go for the Syntrx and a 0-CTRL… have to say the sounds I’ve heard from the Syntrx are more appealing than the original EMS Synthi to me it seems to ride the line of madness and control a bit more instead of pure madness. From reading the manual you can sequence it via midi and then use CV ins as a way to offset pitch for oscillator 1 and 2. Along with the ways you can route audio in seems super fun. It being a way for me to side step fully getting into eurorack while still going a little crazy :slight_smile: now I just have to wait about a month to get them.

7 Likes

did you order direct or could you find a reseller? I noticed Three Wave Music in the states has 'em for pre-order. never bought through them though.

1 Like

Wow, I’m excited to see what you do with it

1 Like

Nice! Also, watching that Hainbach video now has me interested in function generators, like the Wavetek that he mentions. Has anyone here gone down that rabbit-hole of using test equipment? Maybe I should start a thread, if one hasn’t already been started.

1 Like

I ended up going direct… at first I was going to do paypal but there conversion rate was way off so I just did it direct through my bank, ended up being a bit cheaper than what three wave is pricing it at.

yeah I am excited to go down an experimentation hole hopefully I come out the other side with some good stuff!

1 Like

cool, thanks. I just figured Three Wave was factoring in duties to their price. haven’t looked at the conversion rates between them yet though.

I have made a career of it.

4 Likes