Eurorack Cases

I see quite a few of the modules I’m looking at hover in at around 2.5mm

Yep the Intellijel ones only work in the intellijel cases. They have a small offer right now but they are very useful. They plan on adding more I guess. Other than that the other 1u norm is a bit more DIY I think ? Don’t know if that’s your thing

1 Like

Dont worry about 1u Modules and cases that offers this when you just start. Stick to answering the question yourself i posted above and then decide for a Size.

1 Like

after plenty of diy and bought cases i bacame a fan of 19“
for me this is finally the best format and there are plenty of racks and cases out there!
just get some rails and ears :wink:
powering solutions are also easy to find!

check
modulargrid.net for getting more powering facts of your modules

2 Likes

Yeah appreciate that, not worrying about 1u for now.

I must say I have been floating around modular for a good while, I remember when mutable instruments was all shuthri and anushri and at one point one of those was almost my first synth. I’ve been to a bunch of workshops and gigs, for a long, long time I’ve been quite meh, but something’s clicked recently and I think I’m past the esoteric point of it now where it doesn’t seem so alien, I am actually quite enamoured by a very small setup, a 3U of some size, and maybe even swap modules in and out as needed / required

size and weight are big for me, I love portability and don’t like anything too heavy

Hey, I am looking for a cool case as well, modular is calling.

I really dig the Make Noise 7U Steel CV Bus Case, but I would rather go for an Intellijel 7U Case 104 HP that has a better power it seems.

I’ve resigned to using VCV Rack for now, I think. At least it’s a great way to get started. Gonna see if I can hook the Dtone up to it for Keys/Midi duties too. Will be able to get a sense of what I want while I save up for a case.

https://vcvrack.com

2 Likes

Excellenz!

1 Like

You need to think a bit ahead.

Options, imo:

1. Buy a “whatever cheap case” to first start with eurorack and then later rethink
  2. Buy a big enough expensive case to fit a lot of future modules (the empty slots will eat your soul, though)
  3. Buy already a case which can be stacked with other cases easily (I have one A-100P9, two A-100P6 and one A-100PB - but I admit that Doepfer isn’t the most prettiest case, but it’s quality and easily stackable)
1 Like

I’m considering the modular dive as well. I have an analog4 mkII, and thinking it would be great to sequence a modular rig with it. any short-comings or things I’m overlooking this thinking? Is an A4 a good fit or will I be left wanting? I guess it would be single track, vs something like a hermod has 8 tracks…

I would advise to start with a Make Noise 0-Coast : it delayed my thirst for 18 months :tongue:

2 Likes

A4 is pretty great for modular sequencing. Definitely for a start as it’s gonna take a while until you’ll have “too many modules” that you’d want to have more options. Once your modular grows - you’d perhaps want to have a dedicated midi module. I love my Vermona qMI2.

One cheap option is a Beatstep Pro. I have to say, that I fucking hate it. Quite many seem to be happy with it, though. With BSP you get two synth tracks and a dedicated drum track with 8 separate trigger CV outputs. The reason I still have the BSP is that I use it only as a Midi to CV module. Most of the time I sequence midi with Deluge and there I can route midi tracks to BSP and from that to eurorack.

2 Likes

It can be two tracks each with V/Oct + Gate
(you can use any of the other 5 tracks for sequencing the second pair of CVs, e.g. the fx track)

1 Like

I did a sub 100 Euro for 2 x? u… the standard measure

basically 2 rows without power

it’s a mixer case for 50 Euro including rails etc

happy to have abandoned euro rack soon after

1 Like

Midi to CV is one of 0-Coast features.
This little beast has a lot to offer, so not only you can validate that patching is funny to you, that modulation and audio can be one and the same, but also it is not made obsolete once you finally decide to create a system.

Back to the subject, I wonder if starting with a skiff makes more sense than going 7U x 104hp from the start.
I guess it will take me some time to actually fill a skiff… In the other way I already decided that 7U x 104hp will be my top limit, above which I’ll have to resell to fill again…
My mind (and wallet) needs limitations, it’s the condition I set to myself to avoid going Pokemon on the modules.

@TrabanT DIY is indeed a way to save quite some money, and a lot of fun (plus it’s the way to learn new things)
Thanks for underlining it.

1 Like

Yep, those eurorack compatible modules are a great gateway to modular! Mother, 0-coast, Minibrute, Behringers forthcoming Neuron etc!

7U x 104 is really a lot of space for fun - limitations are a great tool to get something done, too!

Not so sure, unless you can get scrap material for free. Been there, done that…

It sure is fun though… I must confess it was more fun to build it than to use it.

1 Like

Well, for what you nicely built here one would have to leave 1 grand on the table I guess. It didn’t cost you that much, did it ?

Granted… a foldable portable 12U like this is not cheap anyway. But consider that euro rails, bus boards and PSUs alone cost nearly 400€ (bought them at clicksclocks.de, excellent service btw). And then you have to add quality plywood, aluminium profiles, corners and other hardware.

But yes, it was fun to build and I learned a lot. I enjoy building things like this. In fact I may get another small system just for the pleasure of customizing it :joy:

1 Like

Another possibility: buy a ready made flycase and add rails and bus boards. Thomann has a nice configurator: https://www.thomann.de/gb/casefactory.html#suitcase

1 Like