Eurorack Cases

2 Likes

“Buy whatever cheap case” is a pretty bad advice in my opinion. Even if you just want to dip your toes, you don’t want to be stuck with power problems. I’d advise to buy a case from a reliable manufacturer with real power and not a flying bus board. Nothing worse than getting a great new module that won’t work properly because tried to save 100€ on your case. Eurorack is not cheap anyway, and in the long run power problem may cost A LOT.

Doepfer, Intellijel, Make Noise, Tip Top Audio all offer different sizes for different budgets.

Tip Top Mantis is hard to beat price wise ! Intellijel are more functional to me but they are also almost twice as expensive. Anyway… I think in Euro it is best to be prepared to spend a good chunk of money from the start otherwise it’s going to be boring very quick. That’s why semi-modulars are a great starting option. I started with a Mother 32 like many other, and then even one other module makes it shine whereas if you just buy a couple module you won’t be able to do much right from the start. I’m not saying one should be a full case in one go either, that’s a pretty bad idea too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is how I’m feeling also. I like the idea of a confined space in which to explore things.

To me modules are very similar to guitar pedals, and a nice two layer pedal board is how I’m kinda thinking about it. As a guitarist you don’t need every pedal board under the sun, you could go crazy of course with a collection, and swap in and out from your main board as you like. But I’d think most guitarists don’t go above and beyond 10 - 12 pedals. You can also throw a few extra guitars / amps into that mix to add to the sound source / timbre matrix. I feel it’s very similar to modular in many ways

1 Like

What throws you off about the BSP?

I’m a fan of small skiffs with few smartly chosen modules.
I would go crazy with a huge rack. I spent 1,5 years now with my one row 84hp, and have still to explore sooo much. Depends on the size and deepness of the modules of course.
But I think if you buy quite a big case in the beginning, you will fill it rather quickly, cause the empty space doesn’t look too appealing :slight_smile:
6U would be perfect for me (that’s why I added the 0-coast). Great compromise of easy to handle but versatile enough

1 Like

Can the 0-coast be ripped of its own case, and added into a regular Eurorack?

I would not do it. I think it’s great that it saves you hp

2 Likes

good to know

That must be one of those “just cannot gel with it” products. Feels cheap. No proper way to chain patterns.

And I guess that I must be spoilt by Deluge’s sequencing, too.

Not the cheapest soloution but you need to look at its incredible functionality… check out the Waldorf KB37 Case:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/waldorf-kb37

I cant recommend it enough:

Fully Powered
Fatar Keyboard with pressure
Arpeggiator
Midi via Midi, USB & CV
Extra pitch & gate out (duophonic via CV)
Clock out
Glide, Note priority, etc…
Modwheel and pitchbend outs
Super sturdy design and beautifully made
Clock in only via Midi

Heres mine full of AJH Synth modules:

6 Likes

looks awesome

very cool

I just ordered a Make Noise 104HP 3U skiff…filling with Mutable Instruments modules…:drooling_face:

5 Likes

Ok, here I go as well :smile:

4 Likes

Good luck, wallet.

2 Likes

This is basically all I wanna do also. Something about MI, I dunno if it’s coming from being an Elektron fan but there’s something about those modules that all fit sweetly together, help narrow down the choices too…

But beware they are packed with Features. Years to explore…

3 Likes

Intellijel has the 4u in 42hp/84/104hp too; actually I’d quite like a 84hp one to put on top of the 7u. The Rainmaker has been calling my name for a while now… :slight_smile:

I Just realised…that Make Noise Skiff 3u 104HP offers only 10 Bus Board connectors. For my purpose thats enough, but be aware of this.

1 Like

I might buy it as well. Have the Doepfer Lc3 at the moment. The make noise would give me space for two more modules (then I’d have exactly 10) :slight_smile: and it’s more flat, the dopfer is quite deep, you can’t lay it down nicely