It has:
2 audio out
2 pedals
USB
MIDI IN
MIDI OUT
plus Headphone out at the front with own volume pot

3 Likes

If you’re looking for a high resolution MPE sequencer, look no further than Geert Bevin’s excellent MIDI Tape Recorder - Perfectly and effortlessly record and play MIDI. With either WIDI or USB you can establish a solid connection with any iDevice.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot one important part: The Cat in Box!

9 Likes

Not to mention the cat in you when you play the Osmose, try the violine patch :sunglasses:

1 Like

I can’t comment on the Osmose key resistance as I have not received mine yet.

I was trained by my piano teachers to channel the weight of my body through my fingers, so it’s not just finger force being used to strike a key. That is why you see some concert pianists appearing to lean this way and that as they move their hands up and down the keyboard - they are shifting weight to generate force as required by the music. So leverage would not be a factor for me.

Of course piano pedagogy does not take Y position into account at all.

2 Likes

Obviously havent watched it all but this seems to be someone going through the different presets and checking them out:

9 Likes

I’m definitely keeping my early bird reservation. The user videos really show off the potential for this and the EM sounds great. Its nice to see these in the hands of typical users and not synthfluencers going through and comparing saw waves and/or sweeping a filter… that probably just a result of how different and innovative of a product this is. Exciting stuff. Can’t wait for mine!

2 Likes

Anyone actually connected to the MAX editor app yet and made a new patch?

1 Like

Creating patches in the EM will be challenge for anyone who does not know what they are doing (that includes myself). There is even a warning in the manual that you should turn the volume down when experimenting in the EM.

A lot of the “factory” presets in the EM are the result of years of work. They nicely showcase different ways of how high resolution polyphonic expression can be implemented in a synth. That’s why it is not a waste of DSP resources and time to just enjoy and tweak those presets :slight_smile:

As a general note, the EM has good examples of what you can meaningfully do with all those expressive dimensions: when I used to own a Hydrasynth, this insight was helpful to program the mod matrix.

I’m imagining there is an established community of distinguished Eagan Matrix experts, whose forum is about to be invaded by a rowdy horde of philistines with their Osmoses … how do I make a dark Cello with some side bow?

4 Likes

From what I understand, the full bandwidth from the osmose sensors will be available only to the onboard eaganmatrix or attached CVC via i2c. This is what they call MPE+, and it contains more detailed information about the key movement that is not available to the MIDI MPE output.

But now have we confirmed that there is not an i2c connector on the osmose? Does this mean no CVC connection?

(Solved: MPE+ is also available via MIDI; i2c is available via DIN5 when in the proper mode. Latest gen CVC has both DIN5 and 3.5mm i2c inputs.)

3 Likes

MPE+ in midi form is available, the usb connection features 2 virtual midi ports and one of them, the 2nd one named Haken, outputs MPE+ messages.

Also I’ve been looking through the global settings and there is an option in the midi i/o section called ‘din mode’ and one of the things this can be set to is called cvc.

8 Likes

It’s gonna get ugly :grin:

For what it’s worth, Haken seems to think it will work:

5 Likes

‘DIN CVC’ mode pretty much says it. Thanks for the specifics guys.

1 Like

I did. That’s challenging. 2023 goals.
There are some good tutorials on YouTube but still, it’s quite complicated.

1 Like
3 Likes

Lol “guys how do I import serum wavetables into this?”

I do have an EaganMatrix module on order, been waiting for the last 4 months. I was hoping to gain some EM programming practice before the Osmose arrived ;-).

Tim from Midi Amsterdam will let me know when he received his first units.

My plan is to connect the Osmose MIDI out to the EaganMatrix module and so have a bridge between Osmose and modular. It would be absolutely amazing if MPE MIDI from the Osmose translates seamlessly to the EaganMatrix.

2 Likes

I mentioned this above, but the lack of an explicit I2C port doesn’t mean it isn’t there if they did the same thing they did with the expression pedal port of the ContinuuMini.