Expressive E Osmose

“Made of jelly” :rofl:

1 Like

At I’ll be able to use it (with some help from my kid!) :wink:

Ah yes the ones that shipped weeks ago had that same incorrect info too.

At the time I was so bored and anxious that I established that if you moved the decimal place on the size and weight, those details matched the specification of a replacement damper for the expressive e Touche on their website!

1 Like

literal physical modeling :slight_smile:

1 Like

1.0.3 released. Link on site is still 1.0 but point to correct file.
Beware before updating, backup your user presets on disk or you’ll lose them.

1 Like

IMPORTANT NOTE

This firmware is only meant for customers who have just received a new Osmose from the warehouse and never performed an update on it before. If you already updated your Osmose once then we strongly advise you to skip this version of the firmware, unless our technical support instructed you to install it.
With the OsmoseUpdater 1.1.4 and below, an update might result in the loss of all user presets. We are currently working on a fix for this issue that will be integrated into the next version of OsmoseUpdater.

Osmose Firmware v1.0.3 12/01/2023

GUI

• Improved: display of instructions during dsp update in order to avoid impression of a stuck process.

Keys calibration

• Improved: calibration initialization
  • Fixed: erratic behavior that occurs sometimes when keys are pressed very lightly and bent to one side

Other fixes

• Fixed: Wrong behavior when activating freeze in playing menu with no playing option selected
  • Fixed: Popups not appearing when Osmose was turned on for a longer time

OsmoseUpdater v1.1.4 12/01/2023

GUI

• Improved: better instructions during update to avoid confusion during the update process

Compatibility

• Fixed: osmose connectivity issue due to MIDI outputs name changing depending of language

Other fixes

• Improved: information saved in log files

the first sentence is a bit confusing, I updated to the previous latest version when my osmose came in, so I guess they mean I should not update now, but why not?

yeah, do not ‘upgrade’

I suspect, this update is considered an ‘interim update’ , basically being pushed out to improve the ‘onboarding’ (which you have already done!) with ‘update instructions’.

It possibly means, Expressive E, have a more substantial/planned release, not far off… so this update is not necessary for existing users.

the bit about "unless tech support instruct you to " is likely there are a few other fixes in there, so if you reported a problem, they might get you to test its not already fixed.

(at least, as a software engineer, thats the main reason I can think of… otherwise usually, you would want people to keep up to date with software… so its unusual to request they don’t!)

1 Like

Also any firmware update carries risk of bricking the device, you typically want to avoid doing updates for the sake of doing them.

With the OsmoseUpdater 1.1.4 and below, an update might result in the loss of all user presets. We are currently working on a fix for this issue that will be integrated into the next version of OsmoseUpdater.

Looks like EE does not want you to lose your user presets because this update will erase them.

you would really hope that is not reason…these days mcu/soc (etc) all have failsafes to minimise this - to the point, you’d not expect this to be a reason to not having users upgrade.

(put another way, if there is a 1% risk. they are going to have a big issue when they do release, inevitable, updates :wink: )

yeah, thats the kind of thing I was eluding too, with another update being in the works.

there is a way to backup user presets, you can do this in the Eagan Matrix.

anyone that has programmed new presets in EM, will already know how to do this.
so really we are only talking about user presets that are factory copies, that have been ‘tweaked’.

so what I find interesting, is again, looks like Expressive E are really trying to keep the ‘masses’ away from the Eagan Matrix, and might use the OsmoseUpdater to help this , something I talked about here

Katsunori UJIIE having a play

1 Like

Like calling it Osmose 49 !
Quite suggestive.

3 Likes

Nice, he is using it with my exact desk, so it looks like the osmose 61 will fit perfectly!

I really like the patches where the aftertouch etc. morphs the sound into an entirely new instrument, like the ones at about 10:15 and 10:45 in the video. Very unique sounds.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, this is what EE shared with me (back in march '21) regarding number of keys

For the moment, we concentrate on finalizing Osmose as it is advertised and making it the best product possible, featuring 49 keys with Augmented Keyboard Action.

Depending on the market response, we might consider bringing A.K.A. to other form factors as well, but this is something for the future.

2 Likes

it would be cool to have an AKA mini form factor, one for the road so to speak :sunglasses:

1 Like

After watching the videos and this thread, I am pretty sure this will be my next purchase. I am in no hurry though. I will wait until kinks have been worked out. I will need to sell my MatrixBrute to create space for it unless I keep the MatrixBrute at my cabin.

Any ideas about why footprint the entire instrument is much larger than the keyboard itself?

Is it multitimbral?

My first guess is to protect the keyboard. Since the keys need room to be able to move in all directions, the whole key is exposed. Nothing to the side or back to keep anything from running into the keys, so my guess is the base of the instrument was made larger to force you to leave some extra room.

I am glad that Osmose and Haken took the time to create 500 presets over a very wide palette of sounds. I also hope third parties will start using this to create patches/presets/sounds. I watched Loopop’s videos about modifying things in EaganMatrix and, while it seems doable, I know myself well enough that I will dabble in it, but not really dig too deeply into it (sort of like what I have done with Reaktor Blocks). I’d rather have presets that I can explore and modify without knowing all the ins and outs of the EaganMatrix interface.