External in levels, midi sync problems

Hi, discovered couple of problems or maybe bugs, what do you guys think, shall i report it to Elektron somehow?

External Signal level is low, way too low, not a bug as such maybe, but it does prevent me from using the inputs right now.

Synchronising AR with another Elektron box is not as simple or seamless as i thought it would be: program change works only if i define the midi channel, using 16 at the moment, if it’s on auto, doesn’t work for me.

Plus, if i connect A4 and AR with two midi cables and set them up to both receive and send clock, transport and program changes it all goes nuts, maybe it is some kind of feedback loop i’m creating, but even if i turn off the clock send on one machine it still the same, weird…

And of course the re-trig, it should take you to hit the pad before it starts to re-trig the pad sound, you should be ale to start from zero pressure level if you wish, that’s how it working both on MPC and Maschine as far as i remember…

Thanks!

Oh, forgot another one: if i put both into direct jump mode and change between patterns on AR A4 will still wait until the end of the cycle to change the pattern, so no instant sync in direct jump mode…

This isn’t so much a loop as it is two clocks - you only want one of the boxes sending a clock signal. One acts as a master and sends clock and the other acts as a slave and receives the clock.

1 Like

And this - check the the scale setup on the A4; if you’re using Advanced Mode, you can specify that it should ignore the default pattern change behaviour if you’re not careful; see page 36 of the A4 manual, the CHNG setting.

Also I always have specified the program change channel in my setups.

1 Like

Internal input seamed low to me at first. Make sure FX channel Vol is all the way up, (not Level). I remember playing around with pre/post settings & ended up with a system where Level controlled FX & Vol controlled input. Can’t remember which way around it was now & not in front of my machine. Managed to get it to match the OT inputs anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote="“scrag”"]

This isn’t so much a loop as it is two clocks - you only want one of the boxes sending a clock signal. One acts as a master and sends clock and the other acts as a slave and receives the clock.[/quote]
yes, i figured that it’s not good to send two clocks to each other, but it was acting weird even with one so something else was triggering that behaviour maybe…both machines were stopping and starting randomly, and the tempo on both were jittering around 75.5 bpm for some reason…

thanks, i’ll try to mess around with those settings!

not sure i understand, pre/post settings are only for the distortion, no?

On the input, has anyone found a way to run a mono signal in without it panning to one side? I have an insert y-cable which I was planning to use to run two mono synths in, but can only seem to get them to play on either side to the moment. Cheers!

PS - my input levels are low too

BTW, if i plug it other way around, AR into A4, everything’s fine, the levels of both machines are good.

Oh, it is definitely a bug, just now i’ve configured that both machines receive and send transport signals, and my AR getting crazy, tempo flickering super fast, i i go to the global menu it start to jump through parameters and even change them by itself…

@nnbveh

I posted this in the other thread but I’ll paste it here:

Ok nothing like a little science .

Taking a sine wave from the modular at +13db

If I input it to the AK left in level full up and panned left I get +17.8 at the AK left out. So it’s amplifying the signal almost 5dB.

If I do the same on the AR Left in Compressor in bypass I get +10dB on the output so losing 3dB!

That would support what you are hearing. An 8dB difference which is a substantial amount.

You could use the compressor to your advantage by setting the threshold completely clockwise and ratio at the lowest bring the mix to about 10 and using the makeup gain to get you up to an extra 6dB but not without introducing noise.

Currently there is no way to pan the inputs to center.

I see…
So it basically just proves that AR kills the levels of external signal. The question is, why didn’t they foresaw this user scenario and didn’t design it so that internal levels somehow automatically match the external? What’s the point of giving us ability to run another signal through the compressor and stuff if we can’t even here it properly and use it? Do i really have to sit and put down volume levels of ALL the 12 tracks one by one by hand every time when i plug something in? How fun is that? Would be much better if it would be done by machine, i thought compressor is there to help ‘glue’ things together after all…

Although I don’t have my Elektron box yet, I have a lot of midi gear and I would be completely and totally unsurprised to see what you see if I had two boxes both sending clocks … it is a system indeterminate state and outside the design parameters of a midi system.
In my case the boxes all sulk or get mad so all tell me quite clearly its me that’s at fault!..lol

1 Like

I’ve also found my inputs to be low, I was hoping maybe it would be configurable at some point with a software upgrade, at the moment I have to drop the levels on everything internal on the AR for my A4 to cut through. (this is with the A4 turned up to maximum on master volume too!)

[quote="“Mystic38"”]

Although I don’t have my Elektron box yet, I have a lot of midi gear and I would be completely and totally unsurprised to see what you see if I had two boxes both sending clocks … it is a system indeterminate state and outside the design parameters of a midi system.
In my case the boxes all sulk or get mad so all tell me quite clearly its me that’s at fault!..lol[/quote]
the thing is that it happening even if only one machine sends the clock…

[/quote]
Sorry only just seen this!
Pre/Post refers to the relationship of Delay & Reverb engines, (FX) with the Distortion.
Pre returns the FX before the Distortion so you’ll hear both the original & FX signal being Distorted.
Post returns the FX after the Distortion so the original signal is Distorted but the FX are not!
If you play around with high Delay sends & a lot of Distortion in “POST” then suddenly switch to ‘PRE’ you should experience a dramatic increase at the output stage. Yeah I should have been clearer on that one :slight_smile:
Re Killing the level of the external signal - I don’t think this is necessarily the case, a lot of gear is switchable (-20/+4 dB for e.g.), & its just a reference point. I assume the idea is to allow ample headroom for the Overdrive, Distortion & Compressor circuits.
Having said that I don’t think its optomised at the moment but its early days.
Personally I would like to see an External IN page like the A4.

1 Like

[/quote]
Sorry only just seen this!
Pre/Post refers to the relationship of Delay & Reverb engines, (FX) with the Distortion.
Pre returns the FX before the Distortion so you’ll hear both the original & FX signal being Distorted.
Post returns the FX after the Distortion so the original signal is Distorted but the FX are not!
If you play around with high Delay sends & a lot of Distortion in “POST” then suddenly switch to ‘PRE’ you should experience a dramatic increase at the output stage. Yeah I should have been clearer on that one :slight_smile:
Re Killing the level of the external signal - I don’t think this is necessarily the case, a lot of gear is switchable (-20/+4 dB for e.g.), & its just a reference point. I assume the idea is to allow ample headroom for the Overdrive, Distortion & Compressor circuits.
Having said that I don’t think its optomised at the moment but its early days.
Personally I would like to see an External IN page like the A4.
[/quote]
thanks for clarifying! Got the proper cable today and will try again to plug A4 into AR, i’m sure at some point it will work fine…yes, the Ext.IN page would be great.

Currently there is no way to pan the inputs to center. [/quote]
Hopefully Elektron will take care of this…
I am waiting for Dataline’s Analog Rytm + Bass Station 2 demonstration :wink:

Currently there is no way to pan the inputs to center. [/quote]
Hopefully Elektron will take care of this…
I am waiting for Dataline’s Analog Rytm + Bass Station 2 demonstration :wink:
[/quote]
I usually think it’s silly when people say “major oversight by X manufacturer” but in this case, it’s just plain stupid.

Anyway, 1 thing I’m doing with a mono synth (Avalon) as long as it has a headphone out just use a TRS cable (1/4" to 1/4" ‘stereo’) to fake stereo.
Still, a major f&ckin oversight. At least have an L+R option to pan both inputs to center, as opposed to L | R