Favourite Gear for Cafe?

I show them the headphones (language barrier and everything), they get the idea. Works every time. I have a feeling that would have a lower success rate if I was smaller, though.

94% of the time the pink on a pink (or any custom finish) bic is just a peeled cellophane wrapper away from becoming somebodys new white bic… very kafka-esque

2 Likes

Circuit Tracks.
or just iPad, but it’s not that convenient.

1 Like

If I was going to take something it would be 404 mk2. Or laptop with Ableton, loads of people in cafes with laptops.

I can’t imagine moving to another country now that I’ve got some stuff going in life, it was much easier when I was relatively poor. Middle class sits uncomfortably between not having anything to lose and not having to lose anything.
Yet I have quite a few friends who had more to lose and still gave it all up to move out from fucked up places, because that was their highest priority.

I get it, it just comes off a bit arrogant to say something so obvious when there are many people that just can’t escape. Surely not referring to middle class. Coming from someone who also moved away from such situations.

Sorry for the bad joke though, was just making fun.

1 Like

There you go

5 Likes

Café everyday when not away for work. Laptop only.

You are missing the Octa to record all this

2 Likes

@obscurerobot

circle gets a square.

just to clarify joey5cents is not the circle

2 Likes

I don’t actually go to cafes to make music; was just showing what Field Notes are. Yes, they are sort of pretentious and yes, that’s a fountain pen attached @obscurerobot (do you know about these?) - Pilot Varsity- I swear by them. They are relatively inexpensive. I’ve become so pretentious that I can’t write with a normal pen anymore.

EDIT: a little sampling of my cursive which I’m very proud of.

4 Likes

see robots post regarding his drawer full of monte blancs he uses to light his cigars for the answer to that

You should look into the Lamy Safari line…

2 Likes

Best I can do is a Pelikan M800, but I bought it long ago before prices went stratospheric into MB territory. MB ink bottles are nice, but you can get exactly the same ink from Lamy for less.

clockwise from upper left:

• Pelikan M800
  • Lamy 2000
  • Rotring 600
  • Pilot Elite 95s

Those are nice pens. I prefer refillable pens both to keep both waste and total cost of ownership down.

2 Likes

What’s recommendation for a sub $100 pen? I don’t like ones which are too bullet shaped (for lack of better terminology). Pineider makes one model which I liked the look of (can’t remember the name at the moment) and gets decent reviews but it was closer to $200 if I remember correctly. Don’t care for pens that look like they are out of Mad Men era like a lot of the Pilots. Of the ones you posted I personalky like the look of the bottom right the best. Also, I used Kaweco pens for a number of years and grew to loath them.

The Lamy Safari that you mentioned is tough to beat in terms of value. Lamy nibs tend to be on the scratch side though - even the more expensive 2000.

The Pilot Elite 95s comes in just under $100 but it is a fairly small pen and the cap scratches very easily. (pictured with a MUJI or Daiso mechanical pencil).

Unfortunately, Rotring stopped making fountain pens long ago, and command silly prices on eBay now.

2 Likes

The MB pens are actually kind of crap. I inherited !y Dad’s, and while it’s a gorgeous object, I’m not particularly fond of using it. I use the Rotring Initial by preference — they’ve got a neat altitude compensation feature so they won’t leak on flights and will happily write at altitude, even. Bought a couple of backups a few years back.

My preferred notebooks are the Leuchttrurm 1917 A5 springback binders with a handful of A5 loose leaf in them — I can spread an easy out across a table when I’m trying to get ideas to come together. Linear notebooks are terrible for thinking with, for me.

I do travel with music gear, but I don’t take it out to cafes.

2 Likes

I bought the M800 clone when it came out and it quickly started leaking. I’ve seen recent comments suggesting the problem persists, which is unfortunate. The big TWSBI (unsure which model) was as comfortable to write with as the M800 at a tiny fraction of the price.

Edit: Fountain pen GAS is real.

1 Like

I was very polite the last time that happened.

But meth heads see things in a different way. I finished my lunch quietly reading as he stood over threatening all sorts of weird things. I was more concerned that he was about to have a heart attack. Then he got tired and walked away.

I’m sticking with room clearer…

1 Like