Flu

Anyone else got this flu? Seems to be sweeping the uk. I’ve a had a few days that feel like a mix of a sweaty psychedelic trip and being kicked repeatedly while falling down the stairs.

Entire family have it and has definitely trumped us getting covid last year. One plus though I’ve lost 3/4 stone which is certainly not healthy but at least I can pig out when on the mend

Anyone any miracles cures? Have antibiotics and paracetamol

Wishing you all a plague free Christmas

6 Likes

This years flu is brutal.

Worse, it seems to come in waves. Think you’re better, then bam … on yer ass again for a week.

No cure sorry :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Just got a flu vaccination shot at work a couple of days ago, not sure if it will help, but I figured it was worth a shot this year considering how bad it’s supposed to be. I’ve actually felt like I’ve had a cold the last day or so because of it, but worth it if it works I guess.

I’ve had the flu twice. Second time was mild, but the first time was brutal. I remember thinking that’s what death must feel like. Much worse than my COVID experience.

Anyway, hoping for a speedy recovery!

2 Likes

Covid was just a decoy maneuver. The real Bill Gates nanobots are in the regular flu.

10 Likes

The lack of sleep is really not helping. Every night awake sweating having semi awake nightmares

Worst thing is my 6 yr old has it and I’ve to take him to the doctors and I’m not fit to move.

I should we winding down for Christmas sipping some wine and eating mince pies

1 Like

Shove a few mince pies, a bit of custard, a shit ton of brandy and a pouch of lemsip in a blender.

Then throw that out, stop being a pussy, get pissed and vomit all the evil out into the bath at 4am.

Always works for me…

7 Likes

I’ve always wondered why you looked like that in your profile pic.

3 Likes

True story, someone once said to me that I look like the “before” guy in a lemsip advert.

Pretty good diss to be fair.

6 Likes

Antibiotics wont do you anything good against a flu/virus. Actually the opposite.

Unfortunately I’ve got no miracle cures, but paracetamol can lower the fever for a few hours.
I also find find showers are a nice distraction, which will ease the discomfort for a while :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Even if you’re not old or vulnerable you can still get a flu vaccine in the UK but I think it costs £25, if I remember correctly.

I’d say it’s worth getting one at the start of each season - given that most sick people in the UK just wander around spreading their germs like plague rats it’s probably a good habit to get into.

Doesn’t help you this time of course!

I notice folks (in and out of this thread) comparing the flu to COVID but I think it’s worth remembering that the impact of COVID goes beyond the symptoms you experience when it’s taking hold. I only mention this as a lot of folks are letting their guard down; long-COVID sucks and otherwise perfectly healthy people can get it.

7 Likes

Round these parts (Suffolk) it seems to be a seasonal vomiting bug that is causing more problems than previous years - that, or I’m closer to it with 2 kids in nursery. Not as acute as one expects, but with a drawn out tail of tiredness.

Hope you’re feeling better soon. Lemsip for the win.

You’re basically screwed for the next 10 years from my experience….

7 Likes

Funnily I always found double dropping and going to dance to techno to 4am always got rid of colds. Totally sweat it all out. Next morning coming down but cold has disappeared.

Not sure you can get it in prescription

5 Likes

Straight off the shelf round here.

3 Likes

I work in a college with thousands of kids, have one kid in primary and one in secondary. Every bug going seems to come my way and usually it’s no big deal but having everyone sick at once leading up to Christmas with loads to do is huge pain in the balls

1 Like

If it is a seasonal vomiting bug the antibiotics might be what you need, but the thread is called “Flu” which by definition is a virus.

I’m entertaining a common cold of some kind these days my self. Antibiotics hasn’t been on my radar at all, only paracetamol to ease the headache and antihistamines in a futile attempt to gain minimum control over the constant flow of nastiness from my nostrils :frowning:

2 Likes

When I was at Bristol uni I got off with a nurse one night, woke up the next morning with the most evil flu I ever had. Spent 2 weeks in my room, unable to do much apart from generate mucus.

Turn the heating off, wrap up in all the blankets,
open all the windows. Kill the fucking virus.

Stay away from nurses. They’re filthy.

1 Like

What I’ve found shortens colds / flu and attenuates or alleviates the symptoms…

High-dose vitamin C at gram level doses (1000mg).

I take between 8,000 - 10,000 mg as a general daily maintenance intake when healthy, divided into 4 doses throughout the day. It’s important to divided the doses because the body excretes vitamin c quite quickly so you’re maintaining a dynamic flow, kind of like a shower keeping things clean.

When I’m sick my tolerance for vitamin c increases, tolerance is indicated by how much you can take before you start farting or your poop gets a bit loose. This is known as bowel tolerance and is basically your body dumping the unused c into your colon. I have taken up to 60,000 mg during a heavy cold without even so much as a toot.

When I’m sick I will increase the frequency and take c half-hourly or hourly because more is absorbed and needed at a faster rate.

I also keep a stock of Liposomal Vitamin C for such times (in addition to regular Ascorbic Acid powder) because it is processed by the body in such a way that it is more or less fully absorbed.
1g of liposomal c is comparable to 5g of regular ascorbate.

I’ve done a lot of extensive reading around this underrated molecule and one thing has become clear, the RDA is way below what the human body needs for good health. Humans are one of the few species which does not make their own vitamin c, goats for example make on average of 10,000 mg a day.

For further nerding out, look up the research and practice of Linus Pauling, Robert Cathcart and Frederick Klenner, some of the early pioneers of Vitamin C “megadose” therapy.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/titration.html
http://www.doctoryourself.com/ortho_c.html

It was the screwing that started it all off in the first place! :grin:

1 Like

:rofl: