FromSoftware Games Thread

Can somebody remind me how to get back to the NPC: woman on the side of a cliff, next to a sleeping wolf? I want to revisit but can’t remember how I got there.

The two fingers point the place, south west side of Liurnia lake.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Why is it always fingers?

9 Likes

Classic beautiful moment just now: I’d ended the game yesterday near an enemy camp in a largely unexplored area, having taken out a couple of guards. Load up today and I see a knight inside. OK. I give him a snipey poke and out he comes, applying magic to his sword. I’ve been through this before, but our man is more of a handful than I’m prepared for - I should have limbered up instead of ploughing straight in - and he takes me out after an ill-timed dodge.

No problem, I can get back there on horseback and I’d drawn him out far enough that my runes should be accessible. So I start on the journey, dodge a barrage of catapult fire and find the route I’d taken before. A big rat appears, so I take it on from my horse, but I get blindsided by the tiny bonus rats it comes with. I’m not too bothered about this, but decide to ride off a little way to heal.

Well, that leads me into the path of another rat before I can have a swig, and that one takes a bite that puts me in the danger zone. But I’m on my horse, so who cares, right? I just gallop off, but then I hear an ominous sound. Ah, right, I’d forgotten the huge glowing eye over a nearby tower that raises my madness meter if I get too near, and it turns out I’ve been steering the horse straight at it, full-pelt.

I try to turn around to run out of range, but in my haste I click one the sticks and jump off the horse. Great! Well, I sprint for it, but after three or four steps I’m infected with madness and almost immediately die, so there goes my rune rescue attempt. The only saving grace is I can’t remember how many I’d lost to the knight - probably loads, as I’d been exploring the area for a while, but without proof and a solid figure it’s hard to get too upset. So I shrug and respawn, head off in another direction and find a new cave full of smithing stones.

That’s what it’s all about.

5 Likes

I was there yesterday. The eye only affects you if you’re in its line of sight when the flame is burning. So you can from rock to rock, climb the tower, mindful of the mega rat at the base, kill the cultists and disable the eye forever.

This game is soo amazing…

3 Likes

I took out Radahn last week and respecced my guy to a faith/knight build. Really helped with Radahn now that I have dragon breath which rots the s— out of some enemies. So with these tougher guys it is all about finding what element does the most damage. You can buff your weapon for that if needed.

After Radahn there are a lot of ways to go. I am working on Rannis quest. Battling the guy she wants me to kill and have been struggling a little. He hits hard and sometimes I get trapped on rocks and can’t roll out. Rot works really well, but this guy has a good amount of health flasks so I can’t just cheese rot him and run off.

I had totally forgotten about that madness tower. I need to revisit that now I have some defence against madness.

By Faith/Knight do you mean a Faith/Str build with armor? I’m still basically rocking my confessor garb but with some upgraded boots and gloves because I don’t have enough endurance for armor. I’m keeping my strength just at the level I need to wield my main weapon (Winged Scythe) but I’m realizing I might need more strength for later game weapons.

I haven’t found this. Where is it?

No I pump just enough STR and DEX into my guy to wield the weapons I want to use. I also have my endurance fairly high so I never slow roll. The ultimate is getting END to where I can fast roll with a big sword if I want. I pulled that off in end game of DS3, and will try for it in Elden too. Typically I don’t wear much armor at that point.

1 Like

Cool - that’s my strategy as well. I don’t have nearly enough endurance to fast roll but I’m okay with the medium roll (for now).

1 Like

Similar build as last two posts - is there a difference btw fast roll and medium roll?

Liurnia, East of Dectus.

Having some trouble with Astel. Like Radahn before it, progressing is coming to feel more like a chore. Might be in need of a good break from the game.

I think the fast roll has more iframes and therefor more invincibility, but it hasn’t been confirmed how much more.

Got it! To get it do I need to go from medium load to light load? (Sorry, first FromSoftware game)

That’s right - but to get to light load you need to be at 30% of carrying capacity, which I’m never going to get to unless I decide to play naked and shieldless.

1 Like

Makes sense! Pretty sure I’ve never been close to 30%, lol

1 Like

So I’ve not read the last 260 posts to not spoil anything but I’ve had Elden Ring for a couple of days and sweet mother of mercy, it is incredible. Super addictive, visceral and deep. Can’t begin to fathom some of the mechanics. And I’ve been playing FromSoft games for two decades! It’s like they’ve been making this game for many years in the background, ever since Bloodborne, and have been testing concepts for it with Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro.

I’m using the Bloodhound’s Fang +3 with a Heater Shield and a Longbow at the moment. My style is always a melee build with a bow. Having a helluva good time with the Bloodhound’s Fang, lovely moveset and great on horseback.

6 Likes

Are there any advantages of having a lighter load if you dont get into the “light” category? Or is it fine to just load up as much as you can, but still be in the medium?

1 Like