FX pedal with a more intimate sound

Hey all,

I’m looking for an FX unit to work into something I got going now, and I’m after something that creates a more intimate sound. I really can’t describe it precisely because I’m not entirely sure what I mean myself, but I do not want a reverb with large spaces, a delay that’s all over the place. But I love the Chase Bliss Generation Loss, the Chase Bliss Mood, field recordings that are close to the microphone (tho not ASMR), I prefer rain on the window than a big pour over large sea waves, a dusty piano in a living room before a grand piano in a big concert hall.

So I’m aware I’m reaching here, but when I describe above, can you think of anything that in one way or another, helps to reach such a sound?

3 Likes

FF to 7:05 for DT demo

2 Likes

I think there’s a dearth of really good room or chamber FX while everyone is chasing ambient wash tones.

I thought this sounded really good though

I have the Black Hole Symmetry.

It is excellent, can sound very intimate, the three elements work really well together when used subtly, but can also go pretty mental. It does what all my favourite FX do. It says “listen to this” instead of “listen to me”.

I have it too, kind of. I let a mate borrow it a week after I got it. The bastard won’t give it back :joy:

Oh, it sounds nice with another delay after, getting those bucket loss trails from the MXR delay

1 Like

Thank you, all. Will dig into this and see what I can find. Much appreciated.

From what I’ve heard, maybe Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water but I know you might well know it and I guess the intimate nature of the sound is very subjective! Good luck on your quest.

I see him linked above but find Knobs demos ooze that feeling, think that’s as much about his playing as anything but maybe worth a wee trawl through his output especially from a couple of years back.

1 Like

This could very easily overlap with your Gen. Loss, but if you’ve not considered the Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water… I feel as though it sort of oozes with the warmth and intimacy you describe:

4 Likes

I’m not using this as an excuse to promote myself, but I do think it’s somewhat relevant - I recently made this and I’m looking for stuff that can further add to the kind of character on display here -

2 Likes

@yokermoon @chm_jacques

Thanks, both. That one popped up a few months ago, I’m gonna check this out now. Thank you.

2 Likes

Another one that comes to mind… I have and cherish my Keeley Gold Star Reverb. It offers some unique sounds – a ducking reverb, a distorted reverb, a modulated reverb, but all of these are different takes on the more common versions of these effects – and all of the underlying algorithms are modeled on studio spaces, rather than vast cathedrals and endless halls, which makes them feel a little claustrophobic (in a good way).

1 Like

I still hold out hope for a stereo reissue, now that Keeley has moved into stereo DSP processing, but I don’t think it was a big seller for them.

1 Like
3 Likes

Interesting :slight_smile: thank you for sharing this.

1 Like

Less Wet/More Dry.

1 Like

Yeah, I hardly use any reverb or delay at all these days. Instead, watch the gain staging as I record, to get that “close” sound, then a lot of the intimaticy actually comes through as I do the final mixing in the SSL SiX. That bus compressor applies some kind of magic, for sure.

Maybe I’m good with what I got, actually.

1 Like

I should really stop starting these threads. They always end the same, and I’ve taken up your time for nothing.

4 Likes

I got an opportunity to evangelize on behalf of the Gold Star (where it felt appropriate; at least to me), so I feel fulfilled.

1 Like

Good. Then I believe I’ve earned myself a cup of coffee now, after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the ‘what gear should I get’ threads you start. They always produce some recommendations for things I had no clue about :blush:

3 Likes