Good hardware based house acts

There are loads of great hardware only techno acts around. But I rarely see truly great house made and performed on hardware. It must be possible and it should exist, but it seems techno just lends itself better for hardware based acts. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Mr. G immediately comes to mind…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HffibenJl8&ab_channel=BoilerRoomBoilerRoom

6 Likes

Wow this is amazing, thanks, great tip! I listened to the beginning and it’s exactly what I’m talking about. What’s the setup? The cash register thingy is maybe an older mpc unit and the box he is working is a mixer? or a midi controller?

1 Like

MPC 2000 xl if I’m not mistaken and a makie VLZ mixer
It’s about as minimal as it gets :slight_smile:

1 Like

octave one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW6lxLUBu64

5 Likes

Yep

Edit: but the mixer is a Mackie CFX 12 apparently:

Not exactly “classic” house, but these two have a ball in this hardware set:

MPC 1000
KP
SP555

4 Likes

Awesome tips, thanks! MPC seems to be the winning piece of hardware in the genre.

damn, that’s a fun set! thanks for the link. makes me want to jam out with someone now.

1 Like

What is the black box second from the left, please?

looks like a korg kaoss pad to me. maybe details are in the comments somewhere.

I think you’re right, looks like a kaoss pad 3

Yes, that makes sense. I’ve never seen one with a human being for scale. I thought they were smaller.

Ah, maybe I am thinking of the Kaossilator, which is smaller.

Yes it’s definitely a KP3 (as in my avatar pic on this site). The original kaossilator is smaller, but then they did the kaossilator pro which uses exactly the same case as the kp3.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sweely comes to mind:

3 Likes

Sweely is so good, another mpc based act.

1 Like

gotta mention the two artists that really got me hooked on house

PORTABLE SUNSETS

tends to use nord g1 keys and other gear for building tracks/performing

&

GB (aka JULIAN ABELAR aka THE ABSTRACT EYE aka THE REFLEKTOR etc)

i don’t think his best house tracks are online but he tends to use various samplers and actually has an OT…just never seen him perform house with it

for techno he leans on roland tr 909, simmons sds 8, and various synths including oberheim xpander

a few others that inspire me:

ARK

buddy from TX who usually roland sp based (555 or 404), in tandem with cassette 4-track and other tools

RAS G

used mpc / roland sp for his beats

MO KOLOURS

most tracks he makes are built with roland sp 606 + ehx 2880

2 Likes

Sweely has already been posted, but here’s him rocking some elektron gear. Magnifique!

1 Like