Groovebox for hiking

Hey guys!

I was wondering: What might be the best groovebox for hiking? Weight and size are probably the most important factors.

Im pretty sure the OP1 field(?) would make the race by now. But too fancy for me and too epensive.
Digitone is probably the winner, but heavy 1,5kg pretty big.

What do you think?

Personally, I would take my phone for navigation and emergencies (though often there’s no phone signal), but leave earbuds at home, and actually enjoy the outdoors. Now, if you want a groovebox for sitting in an urban park, I have opinions…

31 Likes

I think you’re going to want something with a battery. Options I’d consider are:

• mc-101
  • Smpltrek
  • Some combo of Roland Aira S1, J6, T8
  • second hand OG OP-1
  • OP-Z
  • Electribe 2
  • (new) Polyend Tracker Mini
  • m8
7 Likes

Dirtywave m8 would make a great travel companion, given the size, zeighr and depth of possibilities.

4 Likes

bring a field recorder

connect with nature

26 Likes

PO-33 rocks!

4 Likes

I’d probably just bring my iPad with Drambo. Could even just use an iPhone and have a waterproof device. iPhone with a mic like the Zoom iQ6 is pretty powerful.

(Worth noting, I don’t have a data plan, and try to get away from everything when I’m out and about.)

5 Likes

I don’t understand. Either go hiking and enjoy the natural world or make music somewhere.

17 Likes

Maybe the OP wants to do both, why judge? Who cares what anyone wants to do with their time?

29 Likes

Fair enough. But then why ask the question? Surely it’s easy to research these things? It’s all going to be personal preference anyway.

2 Likes

Asking is a way to research?

7 Likes

Why not, maybe don’t reply if it’s not your gig! It’s all good!

5 Likes

Cool cool. I just guess there is no perfect groove box for hiking specifically. What one person likes, another won’t. Anyway, muting and I’m out. Carry on

2 Likes

you’ve got to be kidding me

4 Likes

Isn’t that what we do here?

1 Like

I sold my OP-1 and travel with my Model:Samples. When I’m out and about, I find that a fun workflow matters more than anything else. MAYBE I can use what I made later, but I’m okay with a machine that does not do it all.

The only drawbacks for me are that it is quite big (it takes half of my backpack) and you need to bring your own power source.

Other than that, it’s fun and affordable, can be a cool « synth »… I recommend considering it.

1 Like

I have an op-z and it is pretty perfect for this scenario. I don’t have any other boxes people have listed so can’t compare.

4 Likes

I would bring a kalimba and a field recorder.

7 Likes

I recommend the rhythm of your footsteps and the vinylesque crackle of a campfire…

Feel free to clap too if you want.

:wink:

Cheers!

5 Likes

but no seriously a volca or two, something light and that you won’t be angry or poor for a month if it gets a little funky.

6 Likes