Guilty (music) Pleasures

Heh. Actually they’ve been out once, but not by me. A friend of mine bought a longboard, tried it once and didn’t like it. After having the board for a few years laying around he posted it on facebook, if somebody would buy it off him for 20€. Naturally I was there when a 160€ board is for sale for 20€ and snatched it.

I myself haven’t had the time or the courage to take it out yet, but it’s a long corona-summer ahead of us. The last time I’ve skateboarded was 25 years ago, but for 20€ I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I love electronic music. I was a djay for 18 years. I just don’t care for techno or idm. I’m more of a hip hop, breakbeat, drum’n’bass, triphop, down tempo, ambient, noise, italo disco, big beat, chill wave, synth pop, nu-disco, balearic, industrial and house-music kind of a dude.

I get that people like techno and all, it’s just not for me and my aspirations have never been to make techno with my synths. Electronic music encapsulates a lot more than techno though.

2 Likes

And I love myself some nu-metal too.

They look like they’re having fun hahaha.

1 Like

I guess this really comes from childhood memories of family car journeys, but I’m a sucker for this stuff … but I find it also comes with a certain ‘emotional weight’ and tends to make me cry if not careful :slight_smile:

And there’s nothing wrong with a little ‘Rocky Mountain High:wink:

Edit: How many typos? Jebus.

2 Likes

It’s hard to type through tears.

4 Likes

So I think it’s really worth taking time to read the lyrics of both songs, but particularly the John Denver song Rocky Mountain High … when a boy becomes a man, at the age of 27. Sounds like quite a trip up there in the hills :wink:

He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Coming home to a place he’d never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door

[…]

Is it just me having a filthy mind?

1 Like

Maybe :wink:

Which neatly segues to this old Howlin’ Wolf classic, which totally does not belong in this thread because I feel no guilt lovin’ this … one of the definitive versions by Quicksilver Messenger Service

And a little Acapulco Gold never goes astray, either:

Now that is The Sound ™ …

1 Like

Not a week goes by that I don’t listen to Jethro Tull…

4 Likes

I think one should be embarrassed for not liking Sparks…:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ok, I’m not proud, but it is what it is. Describing the time this reminds me of would probably get me banned from this forum for life :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t usually listen to this type of music but I feel like this song is probably the peak of what you can do with it and it definitely struck me back in the day…

Almost forgot about my hair metal period

3 Likes

There’s a lot of things I wanna forget about those hairmetal days, but Ratt isn’t one of those things. Great songwriting and Stephen Pearcy has a perfect voice for this type of stuff. I also have a (very) soft spot for Queensryche but that was always a bit more ambitious than the average hairmetal.

first two singles i purchased aged 10ish still like them today umm being a fan of animation that is…gulp.

4 Likes

Great shout. Walking in the Air never ceases to get me misty eyed.

2 Likes

Loving this thread! I don’t feel the least bit guilty about loving country music or cheesy French synthpop, but I’d cringe if the neighbours heard me playing this one

3 Likes

I like a lot of John Denver’s music.

My 5 year old son asks me to sing John Denver and Simon & Garfunkel at bedtime.

2 Likes