Guilty (music) Pleasures

1 Like

Should I be worried as I find most of the music in this thread more to my taste than the ones posted in the ā€What Are You Listening To Latelyā€ -thread?

Alan Parsons Project - amazing stuff, Sparks - one of the all time greats, Todd Rundgren - a genius etc. Not even mentioning Sisters Of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails, Kiss and all the others mentioned here.

Yes, Iā€™m in my fourties but I do buy a lot of new music on vinyl too. Iā€™m just not into techno or idm that much besides the obligatory Aphex Twin and Squarepusher.

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry. Iā€™ll pick America over Autechre any day of the week, too.

3 Likes

Beautiful words, brother! Beautiful words.

1 Like

3 Likes

Hahaha, ace! I have to admit, some of that stuff I wouldnā€˜t have touched with a ten foot pole a few years back.

1 Like

Yep. Same here. I remember when Arcade Fireā€™s second album came out and I was furious when they compared it to Bruce Springsteen in the reviews. In my mind Springsteen was the lamest, most boring blue jeans and white tee-shirt rock dude I could think of.

Maybe five years later I had every Bruce album in my collection and I consider myself a fan.

2 Likes

Yacht Rock all the way for me.

1 Like

I think ā€œrockā€ (and pop, rnb, ect) is more musically adventurous than most electronic (aphex is up there, though). Obviously electronic is pushing the envelope further forward wrt to production. Iā€™m loud and proud genre neutral.

1 Like

Less good with his tax returns thoughā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Somebody get me an ironing board because I am in creases!!! :joy:

Given his adept musical abilities I would like to think that he has some amazing reasoning. Akin to V for Vendetta or some other activist who believes the world should be running a different way. Shame he hasnā€™t got Elektron boxes And could chime inā€¦ that said, I am sure he has an OP-1.

1 Like

blast that shit proud. the new stuff sheā€™s been doing from her bedroom in quarantine is amazing

2 Likes

True, all 3 songs have been really good so far. I think that partly has to do with ag cook

1 Like

Yacht Rock aficionados unite!

4 Likes

I imagine Grimes singing this to baby X Ɔ A-12 while rocking him to sleep on a mission to Mars.

Fucking smooth man.
In fact, nectar of the Gods! :smile:

2 Likes

so this one I feel actually embarrassed for likingā€¦but I can admit it :slight_smile:
this type of shit is just not my thing. but two tracks by these guys crack me up.
the singer is hilarious.

holy shit ha ha ha ha. OOOOOOOO

1 Like

gotta say iā€™m a bit weirded out by the ā€˜i donā€™t really like electronic musicā€™ people on this forum

2 Likes

those wheels have never touched pavementā€¦FOR SHAME :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another Yacht Rock classic, this time by a great jazz/studio guitarist with the help of a guest vocalist.
This probably made more money for him than any of his other albums combined.

Oh yeah, and these jazz legends also had their Yacht Rock hit around the same time:

3 Likes