Guilty (music) Pleasures

3 Likes

stuff like:

1 Like

This is soooo true!!!

No way is When In Rome a guilty pleasure, itā€™s a great song! :grin:

3 Likes

Ok now that Bill Evans is in here I donā€™t know what this thread is about anymore.

But I do love the music being posted!

2 Likes

I think it was probably the first time my ears picked up to THAT 303 sound at the ripe old age of 11!
Set me on the road to rack and ruin!! :exploding_head::heart_eyes:

This blast from the past just came on the radio and I found myself enjoying it more than I ever thought Iā€™d enjoy a song by Cher.

Bill Evans music a ā€œguilty pleasureā€? Not buying it.

I donā€™t feel guilty at all about this one, but this is more qualified than Bill Evans

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind cheese if itā€™s fun cheese, with a twinkle in its eye.

Bill Paxton + Devo = Martini Ranch

No idea how this lot got Lemmy involved

Gloria Estefan

5 Likes

Upssssshhhā€¦

Here is a possible explanation why Bill Evans is a guilty pleasure (please take with grain of salt and humor appropriate for this thread)

White nerds listening to cool black guys playing jazz= cool

White nerds listening to other white nerds playing techno= cool

White nerds listening to other white nerds playing jazz=guilty pleasure

1 Like

I gotta give you props for the effort, at least.

1 Like

hah - yes I do! Iā€™m just intrigued by the way that Jazz like this treads a line between sentimentality and launching into something more cosmic. Iā€™d argue this is the same thing (just a few decades later):

So do you fit into one of the 3 scenarios listed by Joe_b?

When I was in high school I guess we thought of classic jazz as old people music but nobody felt ashamed to listen to it. One of my friends was into smooth jazz. Years later I talked to him about it and now heā€™s embarrassed about it. But then again, it seems like more people feel ā€œguiltyā€ about smooth jazz than they do about Bill Evansā€™ jazz.

As a kid, I had a crush on the middle child until I realized he wasnā€™t a she. :man_shrugging:

Also, Iā€™m a big Dust Brothers fan.

2 Likes

El DeBarge - one of my favorite performers.

Actually produced by Prince. I Love the longer Remix. Love Bizarre. So funky!

2 Likes

As Babs Streisand says ā€œAnd you got nothing to be guilty ofā€
That is a stone cold, certified banger my friend. I played it out on NYE and it absolutely rocked!