Guilty (music) Pleasures

Oh god that is funny! Totally brings me back to my best mates house. His sister adored Take That with all her heart whereas me and he hated them with a passion. When Robbie left, she sobbed. A lot. Inconsolable you could say. Lol
A great opportunity to laugh and make fun!

I can’t believe she dumped you for that. I’m speechless whilst mentally ROFLing.

—————

A couple of tunes from their newer stuff was what made me stop and think ‘hang on a second, this is a great piece of work.’

The song entitled ‘Flood’ has got great energy and waxes some brilliant lyrical. A band not just for the sake of being a band, getting famous and showering with all those dollar bills. Then getting lost in the fame. This sounded complete and like people who actually really, really love to make music. Why? Who? So I did some research and found out more. Gary Barlow is definitely the backbone to the band and does more than just ‘sing’. He has the theory, technical know how, poetical lexicon, and a great sense of what works in the modern day world of ‘pop’ and still pays tribute to ballads of old.

Gary Barlow is a modern day living leg end!

That said… I only have time to listen to Flood and Rule the World. Rule the World is such a great, beautiful, endearing piece of work.

I searched for “90’s trance mix” today. Then I listened to one.

But, but… I’m just trying to find an epic supersaw breakdown that I heard once many years ago. Every now and again I search for 90’s trance to see if perhaps it was some well-known track that I can find again.

I have many musical memories in which I remember the exact circumstances of hearing a particular track. I remember hearing this particular track in a mix and realizing for the first time what a very cool sound that massive super saw was.

Related, I remember the exact stretch of road I was on when I realized how amazing LP5 was.

You just compelled me to search out this banger! I remember this when I was in my teens. Hahah. Guilty pleasure in my youth. Got mixed in occasionally with ATB, Oakenfold, etc…

GTFO. This thread is about seemingly bad music which is good not great music which is great. :joy:

I too was driving when I first heard Eutow and can remember everything about that moment : light, number of cars, where on the road I was.

Whenever someone posts like rave or whatever Im reminded of The Big Beat Manifesto: “Big Beats are the best, get high all the time.”

We were 14, things seem more important when you’re young.

Who doesn’t?

2 Likes

Mate I would have dumped her the minute I found out she liked Take That. Zero tolerance for that shit.

1 Like

Dude, in mid 90’s Northamptonshire it was pretty difficult to find a girl without significant daddy issues who didn’t like them. Luckily, she was a big gabber/happy hardcore fan too so we had plenty of common ground.

3 Likes

Haha! I was lucky then, all the girls in Sussex I got near seemed to be into Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins when I was that age. The Levellers was another popular theme, fucking hate the Levellers!

1 Like

I’m helping admin a Facebook group, mainly made up of producers and DJs, sharing their more eclectic music tastes.

Level 42 have cropped up as an influence from very surprising corners.

Definitely a big influence on me. I went to a fair few of their early gigs, before they went down the very-poppy road.

1 Like

Bee Gees !!! (total miscast in my record collection, but I can’t help it) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Still got all my ABBA vinyl.
I think Arrival was my first album ever.

Naahhh. They are legit brilliant. Incredible compositions, vocals, musicianship.

I need to ignore this thread im getting triggered. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Nixon, anorexia & cheese.

Carpenters_and_Nixon

1 Like

Hadn’t heard It’s A Miracle in maybe 20 years til I saw your post this morning. Then 2 hours later it I heard it on the radio too!

1 Like

My aunt gave me the Its My Life album on cassette for my birthday. It quickly became one of my all-time favorite albums to listen to. I still like the big hit song but my two favorite tracks off that album are these:

BTW, the Spirit of Eden and Colour of Spring albums are both free, and recommended, on Amazon Prime Music Player - if you have Prime membership.

3 Likes

This is one of my favorite Bryan Adams songs.

Outstanding musicians and songwriters.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Nothing to be ashamed of. I love me a bittersweet tune. Would play this towards the end of the night, when everybody is trying to avoid going home alone.

4 Likes

My first ever concert was Level 42. Still not feeling guilty.

2 Likes