Help choosing the right hardware setup

Hi guys, well i want to add a midi controller do my Octatrack but also have a Op-1 so i need some advice to choose the right setup , can u give me some advices please ?

As for the Octatrack Midi controller maybe this ones :

• Oktakontrol
  • Faderfox UC4
  • Akai or Novation control XL

the problem here is i also have the OP-1, and some of this midi controllers need to have a midi host so any advice what will be the best buy in this case ?

Since i have to buy the Midi host what is the best controller choice here ?

what midi host ? (kenton midi, iconnectivity4…) ?

I have the Iconnect midi 4 and Launchcontrol xl. I use a usb splitter when I want to connect the Launchcontrol and OP1 to the OT via the Iconnect midi 4.

Does the Launchcontrol have a plastic feel or its nice ?

how much € the iconnect midi ?
thanks

Just curios, why do you need external devices for controlling octatrack? OT has so many controls and possibilities such as scenes, crossfader, arranger mode were you can program everything you need for lives and even more…

I cant speak for others by /I would personally like an external controller so that I always have access to track levels, mutes/solos. Would make live performance so much easier. Granted there is always a work around but just for quick tweaking it would be so handy

Like AGP! said, its easier for live performance and i came from a DJ view.

The Launchcontrol is plastic, but feels chunky and substantial, if you know what I mean. It feels solid and the faders are tight. It also has a sexy orange rubber bum.

The Launchcontrol seems like a mid-grade product. The sliders and encoders are not jiggling but don’t feel sturdy. The performance of the Launchcontrol is great though and has greatly improved my performance on the OT. I wouldn’t do a gig without it now. Think I paid around around $200 for the iconnectmidi 4+, honestly I don’t remember exactly.

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

So…to connect OP-1 to Octa i have to buy a midi hub - iconnect4 or kenton usb midi
can i have lets say the Novation Lauchcontrol and Op1 at same time connected with any of this 2 midi hubs ?

1 Like

If you need a USB hub but don’t really need the iPad connection, I think the iConnectMIDI Mio4 is more relevant (because cheaper).
I have an iConnectMIDI4+ and I think it’s really reliable gear. If mine was to break, I’d go for a Mio4 as I barely use the iPad.
It’s really convenient to own such MIDI hub, you really don’t need to set it up, it’s plug and play !

Now about the MIDI controller, I think the first thing is to ask yourself what you really need to control.
In my case, I need to be able to control external synth, so a keyboard is what I use.
OT trigs, knobs and fader are OK to me so far.
But if I had to get some controller I’d go for FF UC4, because it’s tiny and deep, and I think I’d mostly use it for AMP VOL based mutes and general levels…

1 Like

Yes you’ll need a USB hub

Would anybody happen to know if the iconnectivity audio 4+ is able to act as a usb to midi host between the op-1 and elektron boxes?

I am in need of a new audio interface and dont really need so much midi connectivity options as the op-1 is the only device i have that requires a midi to usb converter.

Yes it will allow you to connect and sync the Op1 to Elektron

Thanks!!

So…with ConnectMIDI Mio4 i can connect :

• Faderfox Uc4 ou Launchcontrol XL

• Op-1

• Other 2 Elektron boxes or Synths all this at the same time ?

Absolutely.

So… doesn t the kenton midi to usb does the same job and is inexpensive ?

You might add synths in the future… With the MIO4 you’re covered as you can sunc up to 20 machines altogether!
:smiley:

Ahh i see :slight_smile:

Now that u spoke about that my setup is :

• Octa
  • rytm
  • A4
  • Dreadbox Hades
  • Erebus
  • Dominion X
  • Op1

Which interface should i have to get all this working midi wise ??

All the gear you point out has MIDI in…
A mio4 should definitely do it.
Use a USB hub to plug as many USB MIDI devices you can (up to 16) and the standard MIDI din slots for the standard MIDI inputs.