Help me find this band

Fun fact… Sarah Cracknell did not sing on Filthy! That’s what made it so hard to find, and why I didn’t think St Etienne was the same band. When I read the article I saw the picture of Sarah Cracknell and assumed she sounded like the song Filthy as it was the only song by them that I had heard.

Here is the real singer:

9 Likes

A better version.

2 Likes

OH MY GOD!

THE RELEASE! THE SATISFACTION!

…now my watch is over.

1 Like

Yo!!! Q-Tee is amazing!

Thats hitting that nostolgia itch! Thats the sound of my childhood right there.

1 Like

OMG, we were chasing the wrong blonde.

2 Likes

Right on, love the sample from " House of the Rising Funk" by Afrique (The riff at 0:22)

Seems like I have a couple of other tracks that use that sample but they aren’t coming to me.

I didn’ t know that and I’m a huge fan of To Rococo Rot (The Amateur View is one of my all times favorite albums).
(And also I have the very weird honor that the very last work that they did before ending the band was a remix of a song of mine)

4 Likes

Found it!

It looks like Saint Etienne + Daho also use the “House of the Rising Funk” sample (around 0:34) on “Jungle Pulse” - which is no surprise because “Jungle Pulse” is a re-work of Saint Etienne’s 1991 song Filthy with French lyrics co-written by Daho and Brigitte Fontaine.

I happen to like this remix a lot:

Haha! Yeah, being one of the few songs by St Etienne that was not sung by Sarah made this so much harder! I’m glad you figured it out. I’ve had that nagging feeling so many times and it’s so satisfying once you do figure things out.

St Etienne are one of my fave bands, seen them live perhaps 3 times. You should check out their back catalogue.

2 Likes

Yep, almost too quick. End of a legend, comet in the sky.

2 Likes

Finally got around to listening to this podcast on the journey back to see the folks. It’s good! And apt. Very much on point.

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Phew case closed