Help me find this band

Our memory works in strange ways. Four years is a long time. Just saying…

We need a thread for more like this.

I never could find a very old rap song that sampled the us anthem ?

In the spirit of this thread I suggest something thats very old rap, samples national anthem. but the French one. Sort of

1 Like

When I worked at Best Buy in the 90’s I’d just ask people to sing the song they were looking for and pretend I didn’t know what they were talking about. The versions of the Macarena that I heard during that time were something else…

7 Likes

@Clancy I think that’s it, you’re awesome :+1:t2::koala:

1 Like

Quick update, that I’ve checked out the guesses and none are the band or the song I’m thinking of :frowning:

Thank you very much for trying!

I’ve recently contacted the person who shared the song, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding it.

So the next step is that I’ll record the hazy part of the song that’s stuck in my head, and post that soon.

After that, if we still can’t find it, it will be lost to the ether and I’ll just convince myself that I dreamed it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Send a humn of your recollection of the song.

I’m not sure it’s your decision anymore.

6 Likes

After that, we then go to an Elektronaut challenge where we have to create songs based on your descriptions. It can be like a human attempt at AI song building. We’ll get nowhere near the true song but you still have to pick a winner.

Challenge requirement 1 - the bit you sing has to feature prominently

7 Likes
1 Like

Wait! I just found it!

Give it a minute to get rolling, it’s worth it.

5 Likes

If you like Boy Harsher check out Grün Wasser the album Predator Prey

2 Likes

You bastard!

2 Likes

Video previews in YouTube come in handy here.

It was either Nico or ZZ Top

Edit: oh wait you found them :+1:t2:

Edit 2: you son of a bitch

2 Likes

In all seriousness I actually did find the track!

A co-worker remembered it, and made a playlist in 2019 and it was in there!

@Phurniture - You were correct, and I’m an idiot for not checking more thoroughly.

Here is the track, the real honest to goodness track… Filthy by St Etienne

Listening to it now, it’s what I had in my head but I struggled to describe it. Sorry to disappoint as I won’t need to make my homebrew version.

Thanks for playing, and I will sleep well tonight!

Edit: Worth noting that this track has a different singer

31 Likes

I can now eat, shave and take a shower.

11 Likes

Ahh nice! I would not have guessed them because her voice is beautiful most of the time.

My next suggestion was going to be Metric.

Or Scala:

1 Like

Much love for Saint Etienne!
But also a shame that this has been solved. It was a ride.

Last summer I found a pile of Saint Etienne vinyl in a yard sale including my favourite album Sound Of Water which was made with the dudes from To Rococo Rot. I especially love this track and played it often in my dj-sets. Until this one time when a dude came over and cried in my face: ”You’re a heartless bastard for playing this song! A friend of mine’s heart failed in the back of a taxi!”

Well, how was I supposed to know that? And even if I had known it’s a great track.

3 Likes

Oh! Interesting - I didn’t know that (and just put a To Rococo Rot Peel Session track in a mix, as it happens)

1 Like

The Smiths?