Holiday Culinary Gluttony

Awesome!! Did you make this? Looks very nicely done. Save me a slice, I’m on the way over

That looks delightfully carcinogenic.

1 Like

Burnt sugar on animal fats.

Nothing better.

4 Likes

doing a big ham in the slow cooker with coke and apples then roast it in a honey glaze tomorrow

Also a turkey crown wrapped in bacon

Brussels sprouts pan fried in garlic butter with chestnuts and lardons

Roast spuds in goose fat

Stuffing, yorkies etc

Plus tons of alcohol

6 Likes

That is a great crisp

1 Like

I often think about having a traditional American Jewish Christmas aka dinner at a Chinese restaurant. I did a DNA test this year I found out I am 18% Jewish so maybe one day I will gorge myself on dim sum. Cooking something special on Christmas tho seems like the only part of the holiday that I really enjoy anymore oh and re-watching Fanny and Alexander.

2 Likes

Fucking straight.

6 Likes

Is that a nice bit of Denby as well?

Im with you on how amazing things have become for vegetarians/vegans. Went Veg 25 years or so ago and it was slim pickings. Now its amazing how many options the local grocery store has or how any restaurant has a few good vegan options to choose from. Unfortunately on the other side if that we had a ton of great vegan restaurants go under in my city recently, we were almost swimming in them at one point and its now its a bit slim.

1 Like

Probably

Living the dream.

1 Like

We’ve got exact same ones. Nearly put our ham on it too, but that might have got a bit fucking weird.

1 Like

I ended up buying a rainbow trout today to cure for dinner as we usually eat light on Christmas eve. I had it in the dry rub for around 5 hrs so hopefully it’s safe… it radiates blood red from using shredded beets but still a bit opaque inside.

1 Like

Mine too! Tbh, most head colds have been worse than this (a fact that I am extremely grateful for).

Hopefully you guys are getting off lightly enough to enjoy the festivities too.

1 Like

Prunes & metamucil are my friends.

1 Like

Would have been about the same for me but I had the worst sore throat I’ve ever experienced. It was excruciating just trying to drink water. Didn’t talk for over three days and barely moved. Better now though so no complaints!

1 Like

Gourmet baked Mac and Cheese!

Shallots sautéed in butter
Added Flour to make a roux

Add 2lbs of fancy aged cheeses

8oz of Mascarpone

1.5 lbs of butter

1/2 a gallon of milk

1 lbs of Rigatoni pasta

Bake it until the cheese gets crispy

11 Likes

Having family over on Christmas Day tomorrow, so after the kiddo went down and we set up all the presents, I prepped:

• Asparagus for roasting
  • Kobocha squash for roasting
  • About a garbage bag’s worth of broccoli rabe
  • Roughly 5 lbs of garlic to get sautéed with the rabe
  • 2 trays of focaccia with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary
  • Spatchcocked a 6lbs chicken with a paprika sage spice rub

Took a good while to prep, but should make for mostly quick and easy cooking.

2 Likes

Even over the last few years, it’s gotten easier and easier to be a vegan. I’m not myself, but my spouse is, and I do a fair bit of the cooking so a lot of our meals are vegetarian or fully vegan.

Over the years it’s been difficult for us to both eat out or order takeout, but recently there’ve been more options for us to both enjoy great food. It can be a little tricky in the suburbs we live in, but there’s still more options than you’d have thought even just s few years ago.

3 Likes

We’ve been partial to Hop Kee for a number of years, used to go and get a big table for like 10-20 of us at a time.

Damn do I miss good New York Chinese food, or really any good food from the city… what I wouldn’t give for even mediocre conveyor belt sushi or an Indian buffet and all the other stuff I used to think nothing of working and going to school there…

2 Likes