Home Music Server?

Does anyone run their own home music streaming server? I’m at that regular 6 month point where I hate whatever streaming service I’m paying for (currently Tidal) and get nostalgic for the days when I could access my entire (legit) music collection. But that was in the days when I didn’t consume so much music via mobile devices.

I’ve looked into Subsonic and a couple of others but haven’t found one that suits needs and isn’t a pain in the arse to administer.

1 Like

I don’t run a server but I still import cds on to my hard drive and mostly listen to my iTunes -library whenever I want to listen to my collection. I also have around 5 or 6 iPods stashed in a drawer for taking my music with me.

I don’t really care for streaming. It’s either physical format or mp3s for me-

I bought a Synology NAS a couple years ago, and it was my intro into the ‘home lab’ world. Yet another gear-obsessed group of hobbyists!

The Synology works great. You can install Plex on it, and their app Plexamp is very nice for streaming music.

You can also build your own server if you’re into that sort of tinkering (which I eventually did).

MusicBrainz Picard is what I use for tagging everything consistently.

6 Likes

1m

Same. Old-school i-tunes library.

I purchase and download all my listening material, and have an IPod Classic type MP3 player for mobile listens. I even tend to download musical podcast mixes that I like. This has honed a curating habit that means I have be be naturally quite selective about what I end up listening to, which seems kind of helpful in a world in which everything is available.

Having said that, my library has clocked up to something like 40 days worth of albums and is in need of a little trimming (from the days when ripping CDs was a novelty, not to mention plugging into my mates’ musical hard-drives!)

1 Like

I use Amazon Music way easier for me.

I swear by Subsonic music server on my laptop along with the iSub app on my phone. I don’t keep a desktop computer with Subsonic running constantly, as I used to. I download the music through the server to my phone as needed and it remains stored there, until it is threatening to occupy too much space. Then I manually delete some of the cached albums to make space for something new.

I run Nextcloud on a virtual server.
But that’s technically not a home server. It’s on the internet.

If you’re familiar with Linux you can try MPD (https://www.musicpd.org/).
There are web interface and clients for iOS and Android. With a static ip or dynamic DNS you can even stream your music outside of your house.

I built myself personal lossless streaming based on my home server back in 2015 but later I’ve switched to Spotify.

1 Like

I’ve been using Vox for the last year, so far I’m really happy with it

I most of the time I listen to my bandcamp catalogue

Sorry, yes, I should’ve probably said that I’d need the ability to stream outside of home. The technology with that I’m familar and competent with.

Yes, same. I still have a very large hard drive with lossless rips of all of my CDs. It’s this that I’d like to get onto a server and stream in and out of the home on my devices (not for public use of course).

1 Like

I installed it and it was working great but I had issues getting it to recognise any new music I added to it after the intial massive scan of my library. Actually, the Subsonic server had no problem but any devices that I was running Subsonic players (Android…couple of different ones) wouldn’t pick up the changes. Other than that I was quite impressed with it. What about Airsonic? Is Subsonic updated any more?

Plex for me, too, when I’m streaming on my PC or through the PlayStation. I used to have a Logitech Squeezebox, which sadly died a few years back. But that server is still tops when I am streaming to my stereo (Marantz NS6006 player). It can be configured to not transcode everything to MP3, and the search functionality is way better

I’ve never heard of Airsonic - looking into it now. That’s a great point, it looks like Subsonic hasn’t been updated in a few years. It could certainly use to be improved upon.

Edit: Airsonic’s GitHub recommends Airsonic-advanced, which I think that last saw an update in 2020.

There’s also Navidrome, which iSub also claims to be compatible with. Looking into that now… it seems to be the most current / up to date. I’ll give it a shot!

It can be run at home though. I’ve been looking at using it for photo backups. Cool that it also works for media streaming.

Oh sure. You could run it at home.

In terms of streaming: I wouldn’t stream Blueray rips with it, but music works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Ooof, that Navidrome is a bit nice! Thanks for the tip :+1:

1 Like

since 1999.

+1 synology/plex/plexamp.

Plexamp provides some of the radio/mix functions that streaming services do, I think it does it well.

I’m using a 5+ year old two-disk synology server that was about $120 and it works fine, and I can stream my library from anywhere.