How do I change Individual Slice Start Times (1.5 Update)

I just upgraded to 1.5. I can’t believe how intuitive this update is, save for one detail… Am I able to change slice start points, or am I stuck with the automatic mode? Thanks so much for any help…

1 Like

You don’t. Automatic only. It’s all in the new updated manual.

3 Likes

This is kind of a hidden feature. First, turn on any other sampler…

17 Likes

Yeah, you really have to work against it to get outside of quantized slices

It’s possible to use the delay on a low-pass filter, or the end of the amp envelope, to cut the beginning or end of a slice once it’s in the sequencer.

The laborious workaround is to use one shot mode to p-lock your desired slices into the sequencer, spaced out as needed, then resample using the new fixed-length recording feature.

Also, tap-tempo followed by fixed-length recording help keep things on-grid if you’re sampling something in, and all the better if it’s short.

2 Likes

OK. I just assumed that you could parameter lock slice-starts like you can everything else.

1 Like

That seems like a very conscious decisions by elektron to keep ot owners from revolting :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thats pretty funny…

4 Likes

You are not alone in being confused by this, I’m really impressed by this update and it came as a suprise - but for me the slice machine is like a carrot dangling moment, if you could as you mention, just p-lock slice starts then it would be spot on.

I also disagree that adding this extra detail would piss off OT owners - the OT still offers totally different functionality and is just a different beast altogether.

please elektron if you read this add manual slice control (v1.51) :heartbeat:
until then i’ll just continue using one-shot mode with p-locks on trigs…

8 Likes

If they implement editing start slice point the next comments will probably be the need for a zoom mode.

8 Likes

I hear you, but I also feel a lot of people are ok just using their ears.

2 Likes

They did implement this on one shot , so 1/4 of the way there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My guess is the slice machine is pretty much just a UI overlay of p-locks for sample start (and end) points.

1 Like

You have to create evenly-spaced loops or sample chains for them to work efficiently in the DT 1.50 update. For loops, they can be made in the DT itself or in a DAW. For sample chains, check out OctaChainer, it’s an excellent and free tool, and opens up a world of fun on DT 1.50. It’s very simple and incredibly clever.

That said, if you’re wanted to p-lock the sample start point with visual cues, you can use the standard one-shot mode like always.

4 Likes

You can also record your sample chains / loops with DT…

3 Likes

You could always go back to the old way in one-shot mode and p-lock the sample start point wherever you want. That’s how my grandparents did it on their Digitakts, and theirs before them.

10 Likes

Learned the hard way by sampling funky drummer direct through the inputs and not knowing the exact tempo. I used Tap to get close but moving forward I’ll curate my samples better and know the bpm before loading them onto the DT for slice machine.

I might have to check out Octachainer in the future. One of my favorite Lfo destinations on the Digitakt is sample slot, but it’s a bit unpredictable and sometimes is scanning through over 100 samples. It seems setting up some solid samples in a chain, evenly spaced, and using slice mode with Lfo > slice selection would be more ideal / controlled for this type of thing after 1.5.

3 Likes

Lfo (Hold mode) on slice select is great. I prepared some drum kits for that, in a DAW, grid edit. Beware with Octachainer, it takes the longest sample as reference and add silence to others. Sample chain can become long, ram consuming.

Concerning slice resolution, for a 1 bar loop you can try GRID = 64 for more precision and change length accordingly. May not be accurate enough, but worse a try imho…

2 Likes

Excellent advice, and the reason why I advise to trim the longest sample in a chain to as short as possible. I use short, snappy sounds in chains. For longer sounds I’ll use a different sampler/synth/drum machine.

1 Like

This i didn’t know and was my first experience yesterday with octachainer. Ended up getting a looong wave form with generous silence in betweenand couldn’t find a setting for the space in between. Thank for the info.

1 Like

It is logical for equally sliced samples. In drum kits I planned to separate longer samples like cymbals, open hihat…

Another possibility (easier in a DAW), is to use several slices for longer sounds : for instance, 4 slices for a cymbal, change Length accordingly.