I finally got one

A Mk2 UW, courtesy of another Elektronaut.

My wife rolled her eyes at me but now she is grooving to it :imp:

You wonā€™t regret your choice. Itā€™s a very nice drum machine. For me the best.
if i had to choose, within my gear, an unique machine to go on a desert island, it wouā€™d be this one.

welcome on MD user club.

Congrats dude, still my desert island box too!!!

Hey Bluewolfse7en, donā€™t you have an AR ?

welcome to the MD UW universe!

, try to never press more than 1 bank selection button at the same time ā€¦ will lock her up and you need to reset (if i am not mistaken)

Iā€™m greedy I have both :slight_smile: they compliment each other very well & MD sampling/processing the AR is wicked!

:+1: :wink:

^^ Happy to read that :joy:

Me too, got mine last Friday, although Iā€™m having a stand off with it at the momentā€¦

does anyone know how to change the screen contrastā€¦??

afaik
you have to open the machine, under the display is a screw which will change the contrast ā€¦
no such contrast change in the menu afaik

Ive got a crack at a MKII non UW for $450. Ive got an OT and a A4 so Id like the MD to trigger somemodular stuff as the a4 (and maybe this MD) are handling linear sequencing and MN Rene doing the other stuff. So pure drum machine - go for it?

Oh hey man, good to see you.
I wouldnā€™t open it up just for that though. Have you checked if the screen protector is still on? Thatā€™s very common on elektron gear, itā€™s such a perfect fit that people go for months without noticing it is there but finding the display a bit fuzzy looking (I did with my Octatrack). If the screen surface isnā€™t a mirror-like gloss then then the plastic layer is still on it.
Iā€™ve never adjusted the brightness, I just wear shades :joy:

Oh hey man, good to see you.
I wouldnā€™t open it up just for that though. Have you checked if the screen protector is still on? Thatā€™s very common on elektron gear, itā€™s such a perfect fit that people go for months without noticing it is there but finding the display a bit fuzzy looking (I did with my Octatrack). If the screen surface isnā€™t a mirror-like gloss then then the plastic layer is still on it.
Iā€™ve never adjusted the brightness, I just wear shades :joy: [/quote]
Wow, 6 months I got mine and just noticed the screen protectorā€¦ Thx MR.Anigbrowl enjoy the infinite creation !

At that price (and since its not my $ ;]) go for it.

Dear Anigbrowl,

please can you explain why MK2 UW instead of a Rytm?

Thank you.

All the best,

waldemaR

Congratulations on your new MD. Truly a timeless classic. I think it would be my ā€˜desert islandā€™ synth too.

Diving into the synthesis will blow your mind (drum synths that can sound like anything but drums, if you wish) but just wait until you start sampling with it, and sequencing other gear with it. There is so so so much packed into that little box!

:LVL: :wink:

Sure - in fact I asked someone else in this thread a similar question a while back. I spent quite a while thinking about it :wink:
Originally I was going to get a Rytm, I still think itā€™s a cool machine and Iā€™d like to pick one up when I have the opportunity. Howeverā€¦
[ul]
[li]I still think the Rytm operating system is at a somewhat early stage, and also there seem to be some (minor) quality control issues. I would rather wait while those are sorted out. I was using a Tempest since last year and got tired of ā€˜beta testā€™ experience with new machines having strange bugs and unfinished features. MDā€™s features are a little limited but itā€™s a mature product.[/li]
[li]Rytm is in fairly short supply right now, and is also the most expensive Elektron machine. Usually I like to wait a while for the used price to get some stability and also for other people to deal with the early release problems. [/li]
[li]More important is the architecture. I really like the way in the MD you can assign LFOs from any track to any other trac. I would like it even more if the LFOs went longer than 1 bar but I can get around that with the parameter locks. I also really like the Control-All machine and related functions. It like sounds that interact with each other and evolve a bit, and thought he Rytm performance features are very good I was not so impressed by only 1 LFO per track with no advanced modulation. [/li]
[li]I like the very large number of synthesis machines on MD, but I am not so excited about particular sounds being limited to particular channels on the Rytm - I understand it, but the MD seems to have more flexibility. [/li]
[li]MIDI sequencing. Mostly I do that on the OT but having it on the MD means I could use it with a monosynthor whatever, I think itā€™s a bit lame that the Rytm canā€™t sequence external gear.[/li]
[li]MD has 16 channels of polyphony rather than 8. Although I donā€™t need so many all the time I hate running out of poly or having to ā€˜borrowā€™ a channel from a different machine. I donā€™t expect to be doing layering in the MD to try to get a more analog sound or anything along those lines, I already like the MD sound a lot.[/li]
[li]Screen. I donā€™t like the small screen on my Analog Four much, I was disappointed to see the same thing on the Rytm. Not very important but I definitely felt happy when I saw the MDā€™s red screen turn on in my studio :joy:[/li]
[/ul]

Sure - in fact I asked someone else in this thread a similar question a while back. I spent quite a while thinking about it :wink:
Originally I was going to get a Rytm, I still think itā€™s a cool machine and Iā€™d like to pick one up when I have the opportunity. Howeverā€¦
[ul]
[li]I still think the Rytm operating system is at a somewhat early stage, and also there seem to be some (minor) quality control issues. I would rather wait while those are sorted out. I was using a Tempest since last year and got tired of ā€˜beta testā€™ experience with new machines having strange bugs and unfinished features. MDā€™s features are a little limited but itā€™s a mature product.[/li]
[li]Rytm is in fairly short supply right now, and is also the most expensive Elektron machine. Usually I like to wait a while for the used price to get some stability and also for other people to deal with the early release problems. [/li]
[li]More important is the architecture. I really like the way in the MD you can assign LFOs from any track to any other trac. I would like it even more if the LFOs went longer than 1 bar but I can get around that with the parameter locks. I also really like the Control-All machine and related functions. It like sounds that interact with each other and evolve a bit, and thought he Rytm performance features are very good I was not so impressed by only 1 LFO per track with no advanced modulation. [/li]
[li]I like the very large number of synthesis machines on MD, but I am not so excited about particular sounds being limited to particular channels on the Rytm - I understand it, but the MD seems to have more flexibility. [/li]
[li]MIDI sequencing. Mostly I do that on the OT but having it on the MD means I could use it with a monosynthor whatever, I think itā€™s a bit lame that the Rytm canā€™t sequence external gear.[/li]
[li]MD has 16 channels of polyphony rather than 8. Although I donā€™t need so many all the time I hate running out of poly or having to ā€˜borrowā€™ a channel from a different machine. I donā€™t expect to be doing layering in the MD to try to get a more analog sound or anything along those lines, I already like the MD sound a lot.[/li]
[li]Screen. I donā€™t like the small screen on my Analog Four much, I was disappointed to see the same thing on the Rytm. Not very important but I definitely felt happy when I saw the MDā€™s red screen turn on in my studio :joy:[/li]
[/ul]
[/quote]
Dear Anigbrowl,

thank you very much for the details.
Myself, i will sell the Jomox Xbase 888 and donā€™t know in the moment which Drum Machine i will take.

Youā€™re welcome. Of course thereā€™s no single right answer.

BTW I said above the MD LFOs have a maximum length of 1 bar, this should of course be 4 bars. Also you can make them go a lot slower by setting an LFO speed to zero modulating the LFO speed with another LFO, as discussed here: