I finished two albums - electro/braindance/whatever (UPDATE: both online now)

Is braindance a thing?? If so, ridiculous, I love it. If not, love it :joy:

Track is super nice, I love how itā€™s mixed too

1 Like

@lesstalkmoredisco Indeed it is. It was more commonly used in the late '90s and early '00s before everyone settled on the stupid IDM moniker.

Lovely sounds and vibes @Unifono. I dig the playfullness. These tracks are putting me into the same headspace as some of the work of Lassigue Bendthaus, Plaid and Mike Paradinas. The mix and instrumentation are great too, Iā€™m enjoying how everything has room to breathe and do its own thing without cluttering up the space.

1 Like

Thank you!

Just listened on my monitors this sounds very nice thanks for posting this :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @lesstalkmoredisco, @konputa and @rob_lee

Out of these four Iā€˜m only really familiar with plaid and only few bits of paradinas. Have to check your references. Any specific albums you can recommend?
Thanks for the feedback

Loving this. Great sounds. Really light and playful. Just what I need right now! :smiley:

1 Like

thatā€˜s great :+1: Thanks!

1 Like

I like ā€œDecisionsā€. Gives me an Anthony Rother vibe with that banging snare. Really cool!

2 Likes

I only now him from tech talk videos on youtubešŸ˜… Should give his tracks a listen. I know he is quite a well known artist regarding the ā€želectroā€œ genre.

Check out the album Render by Lassigue Bendthaus.

1 Like

Check out his ā€œBiomechanikā€ and ā€œDestroy Him My Robotsā€. The drums on both are heavy.

How did you do the sequencing for this album? All ITB with Live, or OTB with the OT?

2 Likes

Totally!

1 Like

On most tracks I sequenced everything on each machineā€˜s individual sequencer. DN sequences on DN, OT on OT etc. The AS1 was sequenced by the A4.
On two tracks, I used the Ryk 185 style m4l sequencer for some synth lines. On the other album that I upload soon there was more stuff done in ableton. I mainly used TAL synths and sampler and Repro 1 and 2.

I never use a main central sequencer with my elektrons, I like to use their interal one

This was an earlier take of decisions. Not sure if this gives much insight but I basically practiced a bit and jammed it out like in the video

3 Likes

Just started listening and so far I am loving it! This really does nail the old school, Rephlex type sound. Very Roland with bouncy, beautiful melodies and acidy lines throughout. ā€œFeel Good Padā€ reminded me of U-Ziqā€™s earlier works. Canā€™t wait to listen to the rest. Great work on this.

Curious how much processing was done after these songs were recorded? Or was everything mixed in hardware completely? The tracks sound very cohesive soundwise.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback :pray:
I mixed some of them completely on the elektron boxes before recording. And for others I recorded all DN and A4 tracks separately via OB, the AS1 via A4 inputs, and the OT as one Drumtrack via DN inputs. After recording, I mainly added low cut eqs for melodic, higher register stems, and some saturation and parallel compression on the drums. And put the whole melodic group through a Valhalla Vintage Verb send.
For the tracks I mixed on the machines I just did the parallel compression stuff with the OT compressor and used the synthā€™s built in hiphpass filter for equing low end. I thought these tracks fit well together cause they originate from similar sessions all done within a few weeks. The multitracking and additional mixing in the box didnā€™t make so much of a difference, cause I didnā€™t add a lot. Itā€™s mainly a confidence thing, cause Iā€™m so used to having all stems separately, but for these kind of songs, I probably could/should just always record one main stereo mix from the boxes

4 Likes

:+1:
Are those tracks, ā€œBAGowā€ and ā€œTwiZoneā€, inspired by the AS-1 patches :grin:

2 Likes

haha. Exactly. Iā€˜m really creative with track titles :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Loving that bassline on WeekTwo and the section starting at around 2 minute is clean. That bassline and 303 line are just dancing with each other beautifully.

1 Like

Thank you @Cepheid :slightly_smiling_face:

Finally had a chance to listen, very nice indeed. All of these tracks stand up very well, nice sounds, mixing, production. The harmonica like sound in track 7 was very nice, had a wistful melancholy which worked well against the chunky bass splodges.

Great stuff man!

1 Like