I miss the 90ties and Gabber

Another favorite of mine;

And this one was one of the best closing songs;

4 Likes
3 Likes

This project (Blind Test) is very nice initiative and in general their selection of tracks is very interesting and non-trivial, usually I know only about one third (techno, trance, gabber, ebm)

1 Like

Being from Suid-Afrika, the whole Gabber thing passed me by. Whenever I saw it here on Elektronauts I read the word (i.e. pronounced it in my head) the english way.

When I saw here that it originated in Nederland, I was hoping that it is pronounced the way they do it in that documentary. I’m glad I wasn’t dissapointed!

2 Likes

Is it an old word?

We have gabba in Afrikaans, which has the same meaning. If gabber is an old word, gabba may have come from that (a long time ago).

1 Like

Hey een Afrikaan! Nice, I have some roots there as well and visit often as my parents bought a house there a couple of years ago. Love the language, especially the word “Hijsbakkie” :slight_smile:

As for the word, not sure if you can read Dutch, but here is the explanation from the taalunie:

Net als veel andere Bargoense woorden gaat het terug op het Jiddisch, waar het voorkomt in de vorm chawwer, eveneens in de betekenis ‘kameraad’ of ‘maatje’. Jiddische woorden kwamen vaak vervormd in de volkstaal terecht, en gabber is hierop geen uitzondering. Vanaf de tweede helft van de negentiende eeuw komen we het onder meer tegen als cabber, chabber, gabbert, gavver en zelfs gibber.

Summary: the word, like many words in the Amsterdam dialect (it is believed that Amsterdam has actually 19 sub dialects), comes from (Eastern European) Jiddisch and found it’s way into Bargoens (dialect spoken by criminals and thiefs) before it emerged in the everyday Amsterdam language. As such, the first official record of the word “Gabber” being used was in court-transcripts of of a lawyer in 1858 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

Apparently gabba has the same origin, but seem to have evolved seperately from gabba.

Adaptation of Yiddish khaver, from Hebrew haver comrade, friend (also found in Dutch as gabber, and in the San languages as gaba).
colloquial: A friend, pal.

2 Likes

In Austria we say „Haberer“ (for „good friend“).

2 Likes

… perhaps my most favourite hardcore song of all times …

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ve never heard this version before. I am well adjusted to this one though…. a few years later and slower, although at the time I thought it was Uber fast!

1 Like

That‘s great!!! :smiley::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

I love the 90’s gabber sound. In fact, I have made several hardcore tracks with the old 90’s cenobite flavor back in the early 2010’s.

Here is my first album I released at Cenobite Records (the more typical oldstyle gabber start from the track Eternity):

My later album had some tracks that were a bit more evolved into slower and darker gabber, with a more modern take. Still with a very strong influence of Cenobite style psychedelic gabber though. Just not only that standard 909 kick drum through Mackie deck distortion anymore.

I am still into this style of music, but also experimenting with various other styles like Goa trance, acid tekno, and even some electronic/metal hybrid :slight_smile:

But I have to confess: since I bought a whole bunch of hardware, switched DAW and also became a dad (which all are fun things but cost a lot of time to get used to :p), I have been a lot less productive…

Still plan to finish a few tracks in 2023 though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, exactly the kind of cenobite style I love!

Would love to hear some of your new stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

btw., it deemed to me just recently where the sound of the main riff of “We have Arrived” from Mescalinum United was sampled from.

I know this song from the “Tekknophobia” compilation which was released in 1992, but when I heard “We have arrived” years later, I had already forgotten this song.

1 Like

Earliest version of “We Have Arrived” was released in 1990, not sure it was really sampled

But yes, the sounds have similarity - lfo or envelope on filter with heavy resonance and synth is probably the same. What it could be, probably some Roland?
This “riff” sound in Mescalinum’s tracks sounds like it was first recorded into sampler and processed a bit.

Cool track btw, I like that era with untamed raw sound before it became a “standard” and commercial cliche

3 Likes

Interesting! The reason I assume that Exit 100 is the original is simply that we hear MORE of this sound, while in “We have arrived” only a snippet.

Cool track btw, I like that era with untamed raw sound before it became a “standard” and commercial cliche

There were a few years with dark and dissonant stuff, and then it turned into happy loud consonant melody stuff - and I’m totally not into that. Recently I try to find more recent stuff I like, and occasionally there’s a banger

1 Like

Must have been a bonkers night.

For me, this is the #1 gabber video

1 Like

Totally valid idea, sampler was the weapon in these times. Not many people could afford many synths and other gear. It took many years for me to understand that famous gabber lead on thousands of tracks was a sampled and twisted Alpha Juno (there is a nice guy on Youtube who reconstructs old tunes, happycore and gabber)

1 Like

first time I ever did yokes :rofl::ok_hand:
was epic.

These people are spot on - they release and re-release some industrial and experimental hardcore.

I hope one day they reissue this vinyl (they already did it for other project of Auto-Psy)