If you had a Machinedrum for one week?

This is for the people who know, or have known the mighty MD. My friend is lent me his for a week or so. What are the best machines? Your favorite things to do? Quick tips for crazy sound design? So far I’ve made my own kit with 16 different sounds/machines, played with the effects a bit. I’m already on the way to having a track done on it. Super fun. Will Probably hook it up to the MnM tonight and get jiggy.

1 Like

I borrowed one for a few months and loved making techno beats on it. Led to me getting an A4 and Octratrack.

1 Like

Ctrl-All (Hold FUNC + Encoder)

To revert to the last saved state : Hold FUNC + Classic/Extended button

5 Likes

X.04 firmware and then create FM synth patches from the FM kit.

2 Likes

If a friend lends you their machine, maybe you shouldn’t install new firmware on it?

9 Likes

I wouldn’t be friends with someone that picky.

3 Likes

If you have resampling, then set up 2 Ram rec and plays, and a cntrl-All machine.

Put a record trig down on the first rec page, 2nd ram on the third page. Now ram Play 1 trig will go on the second page, and the ram play 2 trig

Fill the rest of the instruments up with whatever. I usually do a lot of GND machines and use long decays with different pitches.

Save the kit and then play it. Play with the control all knobs while it continues to record and play continually. Using retrig, filters, lfos, and all parameters at once, really twists everything. You can twist a knob then hit cntrl and shift i think to reset the pattern. I can’t remember the button combo. Muscle memory.

Exactly.

Oh, nice will do next… And thank you for a detailed response. I will not be upgrading it, but am interested in what the DIY firmware added. So, that new firmware gives it more machines? FM synths you say?

Yeah, this thing really excels at dissonant/in-harmonic techno stuff. I like.

1 Like

Tonal mode, you can tune the GND machines. More oscillators to create chords, way more pitch range, and like 2 new machines. Can’t remember the names, and i can’t remember what else the new firmware does. There’s a thread for it.

It’s fun to use the inputs with other stuff & gating them with the step sequencer - can get freaky with vocals like that

1 Like

Run your gear through the inputs and adjust the sample rate reduction. You’ll get all kinds of great flavor to whatever you put through it.

1 Like

Messing up a long GND machine trig with tuned(or not) Amplitude Modulation controlled via LFO and reverb+delay always gives pleasure. Duplicate, slightly modify and pan. Use other unused tracks Lfo’s for more movement.

A week isn’t long enough for a thorough dig. Bargain for more time.

1 Like

Really nice. Yeah, I’m getting crazy harmonics using AMD/AMF with the Sin machine. Is there a way to make an attack with the LFO? On the MnM, I use the ramp LFO. I should just resample stuff like this to cut to the chase, but just trying to see the limitations here.

Haha! I hear you. We have studios in the same space, so who knows. But this thread is as much for the original owner as me.

Do you mean the sin and noise? Definitely doing that right now.

If it’s a UW, abuse the UW machines.

2 Likes

The SIN machine is my goto. Some of the new X04 firmware machines would be good fodder as well though.

You could also set up a live resampling recorder and play machine (with volume turned mostly down on play machine unless muting Rec machine after recorded - or else feedback hell), pitched down an octave for layering.

1 Like

After I’m done jamming out I’ll take a stab at it. So, mostly people are saying setup a resampling set-up. I’ve done this on the OT, with interesting results. Retriggering and plocking the F out of the recording buffer? Is this what you all are talking about?

1 Like

When experimenting with a number of LFOs routed to the same track on several parameters while using parameter locks on top, I always got very alive sounding sequences. Also creating and recording effects by increasing the BPM heavily while using LFOs might be valuable.

1 Like

I think the fastest way to have fun and make some music would probably be to play with the factory kits or whatever your friend has made. Make a copy of a snapshot for yourself first…

1 Like