If you were starting from scratch what would be your first 3 pieces of gear

If you had no gear at all. Just a desk. And wanted a setup of some kind no matter what genre(your unsure say). What three pieces would you buy. You have monitors.

1 Like

Arturia Keystep pro
Vermona Perfourmer
Vermona DRM
A large mixer

6 Likes

I’ve only started with hardware less than a year ago, so far I have 2 pieces (I also got a TR-6s but didn’t really got along with it too much):
DN - all around synth
ARmk2 - drum machine on steroids
third piece would probably be either a mixer or octatrack as a mixer / stereo sampler
and sometime in the future maybe a AH or BOUM…

2 Likes

So it’s like … picking a totally different setup to have fun trying something new out? Probably Alphabase, a really nice analog synth keyboard, and a Digitakt or ARMKII (same thing almost). Oh but there are so many cool drum machines I’d love to get my hands on …

Roland Fantom 06, Moog Grandmother, Digitakt

Beautiful sounding Mono Synth, rompler workstation with really great synth engine (zen core), and hyper flexible sound design sampler. I honestly can’t think of a hardware setup that could be more flexible.

my alternate would be MPC Live II, Hydrasynth, TR-8S

1 Like

OT, Rytm & Virus.
That’s what’s on my table right now actually, I packed everything else away.

7 Likes

…a m1 laptop, some beyerdynamic dt pro cans and bitwig…
but i would also need my shure sm7, a cloudlifter and an interface…hmmmmpf…that’s 6 for a scratch…

6 Likes

If money is not an issue : the dark trinity without hesitation.
If money is a little bit an issue : a laptop, an Akai LPK25 and a Scarlett 2i2.
If money is definitely an issue : an acoustic guitar, a pencil and an eraser.

8 Likes

Laptop
Pad based device
Keyboard based device

3 Likes

One of the new Mpc’s.
An OT or DT.
One of these: Iridium, Polybrute or Super 6.

1 Like

dn, rytm, octa or some iteration of that (take-5, dt, st or 1010 blackbox, a4, p12)

its tough because dn kind of spoiled me for synths because its so versatile and almost magic in its abilities. but as far as like actual first polysynth, if you already have a way to sequence and arrange things, i’d say take-5. then a drum machine and sampler.

1 Like

RYTM, OCTATRACK, and ABLETON.

3 Likes

If I wasnt broke af:808, 101 & OT

2 Likes

I need sequencers.
Small form factor to bring them everywhere.
I love to have samples reading + live resampling + synthesized drums + poly synth.
So I guess it would logically lead me to where I am right now:
OT + ST + DN

4 Likes

I’d start with an iPad and learn as much as i could before launching into hardware.

This is what i did when i began this journey a little over 6 years ago. The iPad now sits in a really sweet spot of power, performance and adaptability and integrates nicely once the hardware plunge is made.

So if i were to rewrite my own journey I’d go;

1. iPad
  2. SP 404mk2
  3. DigiTone
1 Like

Laptop, Guitar, Octatrack

• Analog Rytm
  • Octatrack
  • Eurorack

I dub it the ‘JakoJako Starter Pack’

9 Likes

M8 tracker. don’t need anything else.

1. any elektron.
  2. any other elektron.
5 Likes

Hard to find something better than the performance-oriented tools by Elektron.

So I’d end up with Octatrack + Rytm + Analog Four

1 Like

Whatever 3 I pick you could be sure that I’d start swapping pieces out within a month because GAS is real.

7 Likes