If you were starting from scratch what would be your first 3 pieces of gear

Surprised nobody declared a TX-6 only track challenge with the built in drums / synths triggered by MIDI :slight_smile:

OK, true. I was mistaken and thought the thread was about just having three pieces of gear. The tx-6 begs for other things to be added :slightly_smiling_face:

to start simple and on a budget, i would chose a novation circuit and headphone. Maybe after a used blackbox or one of the model elektron (sample or cycle depends or your needs)

I chop and change on this but for today, Iā€™ll keep it simple and reasonably affordable.

1. Octatrack Mk1 (can be had for as low as Ā£550)
  2. Analog Keys (also can be had for sub Ā£550)
  3. Most folks have at least a PC so a DAW of choice

Through OB you have an audio interface with the AK to hook you OT up to or you could just keep it all separate and have ITB and OTB set ups for dual fun depending on mood.

Bases covered: analogue, sampling, sequencing, etc.

violin, and a singer w a mic

,\m/

edit: ok ok ā€¦ headphones, ableton, pad midi controller ā€¦ or a doepfer system, tube amp, tape recorder ā€¦ yeahh

edit2: and after a year or two of ā€œstarting from scratchā€ iā€™d get an elektron sequencer )))

Iā€™d need 5 Items

• Digitakt MKII with 8 individual outputs
  • Nord Drum 4P with 6 individual outputs
  • Nord Lead 4
  • 18 channel mixer with capable effect section
  • Blokas Midihub

Iā€™d like to prelisten to each channel with headphones and allways making live sessions without any preparation.

Alternatively going the other way with

• Plumbutter
  • Cocoquantus 2
  • Din Datin Dudero - Stuber
    ā€¦and see what happensā€¦

Iā€™ve had success using a Yamaha reface cp, Elektron analog 4 and either a Kaoss pad or a zoom recorder.

Also - hydrasynth desktop, make noise shared system and Digitakt

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you. Iā€™ve gone back to some old stuff and I love almost everything I did with an OT, DT, and Roland SE-02. I think this would be my three piece set, although I do have an AR MkII right now and love itā€¦just wish we could get some of the QoL updates the DT has. I know itā€™ll never happen, but if the AR had slicing, itā€™d be the only box Iā€™d ever need and would be the sole item on this hypothetical list for me

1 Like

rytm mk1 is actually my main drum machine. i spent about a year making the basic sounds i like while building up an auxiliary library from the extra patch ideas iā€™ve had along the way, and now i just use those 12 sounds and every day or week they get tweaked slightly into new kits that i copy/paste onto the next pattern for the next day

Iā€™d like to be able to resample things on the rytm, but i hardly ever use dt for sampling. iā€™d rather use the octatrack. i hadnā€™t felt the need to upgrade to the mk2 because i love the rytm so much as it is, but i can see your point. i just feel like its a great drum synth and i use it like i imagine other people use their 808s or whatever bread and butter drum machine they have

i am very very interested in hearing/seeing this. you have any video of it? youtube or instagram? a4 is the one i keep coming back to. such a monster of an instrument. but iā€™ve been considering a kaoss pad since like jon hopkinsā€™ 2013 kexp set. would also have a reface cp by now if i ever saw one for under $500. that seems like the perfect combo to me

1 Like