If you were starting from scratch what would be your first 3 pieces of gear

Almost where I’m at minus a mixer, electric bass, and a few effects pedals.

Acoustic guitar
Digitone
SP-404 MKII

I would like to have a field recorder too but I can survive with my phone as a mic.

1 Like

So a means of recording has to be one of the choices? In that case:

Syntakt
Digitone
Ableton

(the Digitone could also easily be an A4 or AR, just really digging this Digi-format combo right now)

If Ableton or similar was assumed, then the third piece would be a SP-16 or Blackbox. Or maybe just a Lemondrop, because it’s an awesome creative tool.

1 Like

Laptop, Maschine, M32

1 Like

Assuming we don’t have to factor in a recording device:

Analog Four MKII
Analog Rytm MKII
Digitone Keys

If we do, swap the AR for an MPC Live MkII

3 Likes

If I am restricting it only to gear I’ve used, then MPC One/Live, Take 5, Syntakt.

If I can choose anything, then MPC One, Casio CZ-3000, Machinedrum

1 Like

Digitakt
Tascam DR-05
1010 blackbox

This covers pretty much all my needs for drums, multisampling and long samples.

1 Like
  • Nord G2
  • Kyma Pacamara Ristretto
  • Octatrack [or MPC [tuff call]]

first and only pieces

Octatrack with an audio interface and Macbook Pro to record and mix. Sound sources would come from various apps on my iphone.

Or I’d skip the interface and get an M8. I could use the M8 as a sound source for the Octatrack and bounce recordings back and forth between the two, ultimately finishing tracks with the M8 and exporting the stems onto the Macbook to be mixed.

Btw my current process and setup is pretty similar to my second option, but it’s a little more linear and I have a lot of other sound sources and processors in the mix. I would be fine if I was forced to pair down to my essentials though. I honestly think I’d be happy working like this for the rest of my life.

1 Like

Make Noise Black and Gold system
Make Noise Tape and Microsound system
Studer 1" 8-track recorder (or other high quality 8-track studio recorder)

Buying a couple pre-configured modular systems would have short-circuited the ridiculous module churn I went through in my first couple years of modular and the 8-track recorder would be enough to make complex music and sound compositions without falling down the plugin/daw hole trying to make recordings sound like tape.

5 Likes

laptop computer with DAW and VSTs like Ableton
audio interface and cables
studio monitor speakers

Now most folks have a computer so:

maybe a synthesizer like Elektron Digitakt or Rytm

Can make complete beats that way. My first synth was Moog Sub 37 then I bought and Elektron Analog 4 MK2 and enjoyed that journey a lot.

1 Like

agree I started with Make Noise 0-coast before the modular synth rat hole then a Doepfer A100 Basic system with a Korg SQ-1 sequencer. At the time, I wanted a Shared System but was out of my budget back then. If I were to do today, I would skip these and get an Erica Synths Techno System since dance music is ace and this is best packaged modular format for it.

1 Like

I kinda did that this year by slimming down to mainly using:

M8
Op-1 Field
Poly Beebo

Although I still mainly use my guitar to write songs and a linnstrument for easier note input. If it would really only be 3 pieces, then I’d say:

M8
Op-1 Field
Guitar

3 Likes

Wavestation EX
Aira T8
Roland R8

1 Like

If I would like to reset right now…

It might be a

• cheap laptop where bitwig and renoise on linux runs smooth
  • audiointerface
  • midsized novation launchkey

and if the midi keyboard doesn’t count I guess a micromonsta 2 would be on my list.

1 Like

So I’m starting from scratch with everything I know now? Since this is a thought exercise I’m going to assume that all of my gear was stolen but I got an insurance pay out for it, in which case I would get:

Octatrack MK2
Serge Modular System
Nord Lead (any model)

The Octatrack because it’s an amazing tool.

Serge because I currently have a eurorack system that is doing it’s best to imitate a Serge (with a few extra tricks), and if I was starting from scratch I wouldn’t want to do the eurorack rat race again. I love patching and working with modular, but the “freedom” of eurorack is not something I’d want to do again.

Nord Lead because it’s bread and butter, but sounds great and is multi-timbral, perfect for the Octatrack.

4 Likes

Digitakt. Nord Lead. Arp 2600m.

explanation: I disagree with the “all Elektron” approach for beginners. Digitakt is simple enough for anyone to learn, yet flexible enough for almost any genre or writing approach. likewise with the Nord Lead and 2600m. plus both will help you learn synthesis.

3 Likes

Assuming I already have my Genelec 8341A’s

1. Sound Treatment
  2. Maxed out Mac Studio
  3. Really good MIDI Keyboard

Being able to hear what you’re doing is #1
Everything else is secondary.

3 Likes

OT + ST + analog heat

1 Like

Cirklon V2
Ableton